Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
nila
nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: none
Kobo Touch - Case + Light (UK)

Hi all,
Looking for a case for my Kobo Touch and seem some of the ones on ebay seem to include lights which sounds like a great idea to me for night reading.

I've seen this one and quite fancy it in dark blue:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEATHER-CA...ht_3413wt_1396

Anyone ever tried these ones?
Also, would that light be any good (anyone tried it?)

If not, what would people recommend? I dont want real leather.
nila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
The problem with separate book lights with the Touch is that they don't attach well. There isn't too many places on the KT that a book light can attach without blocking part of the screen. And the shape of the back (rounded near the edges) doesn't give a good flat surface for the light to attach to.

Costco has a Mighty Bright Hammerhead 2 pack that works ok. A big plus is that it uses AAA batteries. http://www.mightybright.com/Book-Lig...LED-Book-Light

It also looks like Mighty Bright has some specific eReader lights.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nila View Post
Hi all,
Looking for a case for my Kobo Touch and seem some of the ones on ebay seem to include lights which sounds like a great idea to me for night reading.

I've seen this one and quite fancy it in dark blue:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEATHER-CA...ht_3413wt_1396

Anyone ever tried these ones?
Also, would that light be any good (anyone tried it?)

If not, what would people recommend? I dont want real leather.
The light is rubbish... They sell them here at the Dollar Store for $1 and even at that price it's not worth it. It doesn't grip properly or light up the screen well.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I have this light and it works well. Grips the bezel or case (cushioned clip) and works on Cr2032 batteries that can be purchased at the Dollar Store at 3 for $1...

http://www.lightwedge.com/Verso-Clip-Light
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I now use http://www.lightwedge.com/Shop/Recha...erso-Arc-Light and find it works very well.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Can I ask if the Verso Arc light stays on firmly when the ereader is sideways? I mostly read lying down.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I seem to have no issue with it. It does come with two different clips for the back so you can select the one that grips better for. The grip also has a soft rubber "pad" on it which seems to help with the grip.

I can (for instance) hold the Kobo upside down and the light stays affixed.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Thanks PeterT. The last supposed "ereader light" I forked out for didn't stay put sideways, kept slipping off, even with the variable grippy pads.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Nila, I'd like to amend my comment a bit.

The light on the eBay page will probably work fine with the case, as it can clip to the case.

Personally, I don't like cases, so I'm trying to find a decent light that will work with a bare KT.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
nila
nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: none
This just arrived last night.
The case actually looks decent on the device and seems like it will offer good protection to the device (I put it in my back pack with my laptop and it would otherwise be destroyed in no time at all I would imagine being scratched by the laptop and plugs in there).

The light itself I find huge and bulky compared to the device.
It clips onto the case and sits there relatively well without moving but then does not adjust that well.
It does however manage to light up the screen enough for me to be able to read at nights so it does the job - just not amazingly.
As a free extra with the case though I cant complain as it does now allow me to read at nights.
At some point I might consider splashing out to buy a nicer one but they all seem relatively huge unnecessarily to me - I dont see why they need any size at all other than an LED, a case for a watch battery (ie TINY) and a stem to hold them in place).
Not in a rush to do this though as if I wanted to spend tons I would have just waited and forked out for the ereader that is going to have built in light.
No point getting myself a cheap eReader option to then just go and blow a ton buying accessories to make it do what what the more expensive one could have done neatly built into the device.

(Click to enlarge any of these graphics.)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0609.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	90274

Name:	IMAG0610.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	90275

Only down side is the power button is covered which can be a slight pain to have to fiddle with but seeing as I use this for 10s every 2hrs of reading its not a big deal.

Name:	IMAG0611.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	90276

Name:	IMAG0612.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	90277

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-07-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Changed oversized graphics to an attached thumbnails.
nila is offline   Reply With Quote