Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle 4 NT SO
An iPad, a Kindle, and the MR library

I an on my iPad and am trying to get an MOBI file from the MR library into my Kindle. I seem to be only able to open the book in the iPad Kindle app, not save it and then email it.

Can someone clue me in?
asciibaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If I'm understanding you correctly, you have to either email the MR ebook from your pc to your Kindle, or use the USB cable to drag and drop the .mobi file onto the Kindle.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
If I'm understanding you correctly, you have to either email the MR ebook from your pc to your Kindle, or use the USB cable to drag and drop the .mobi file onto the Kindle.
I am trying to email the mobi file from my iPad, but it seems that is impossible. this thing should be called iPassive - horrible for anything but consuming.

Content creation as a feature is unsupported, ugh.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
asciibaron
Connoisseur

I found a work around, and man is it the long way round...

Instead of getting the mobi file, I can download an ePub using a pay third party app ( file browser), then email that to my Kindle and Amazon will do the conversion. There goes whatever formatting in the mobi the book had...
Old 01-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Why can't you just send the .mobi version? Or, download the Mobipocket download guide from mobileread so that you can download direct to the Kindle from mobipocket? Or, use your computer to download the book, then transfer the file to the Kindle via USB or email?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Why can't you just send the .mobi version? Or, download the Mobipocket download guide from mobileread so that you can download direct to the Kindle from mobipocket? Or, use your computer to download the book, then transfer the file to the Kindle via USB or email?
i don't know why i can't send the mobi version, the only option is to view in ithe Kindle app.

it is much faster to browse with the iPad than it is the Kindle, the download guide isn't great for finding random hits by genre and it is super slow on my wifi only Kindle 4 NT

sure i can use my computer, but when all i have is my iPad and Kindle and i'm on a train and am looking for something new to read...
Old 01-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
If you own goodreader, you can copy the mobi link in safari, download it in goodreader and then email it to your kindle.

I'd recommend goodreader over a third party paid browser any day too as it's ideal for reading pdf's on the iPad and syncing them with a server
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
JoeD's solution is probably best if you're not willing (or able) to jailbreak. My JB'd iPad does this just fine--Kindle app (using the JB app iFile) to Dropbox to Kindle Touch. But GoodReader is an awesome workaround for the iPad's file handling limitations, and incidentally a pretty good PDF reader too.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
If you own goodreader, you can copy the mobi link in safari, download it in goodreader and then email it to your kindle.

I'd recommend goodreader over a third party paid browser any day too as it's ideal for reading pdf's on the iPad and syncing them with a server
the iPad is my employers and GoodReader is a pay app that they will not allow me to install
Old 01-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
You should be able to browse to it and save it to dropbox. Then use dropbox to retrieve it.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
You should be able to browse to it and save it to dropbox. Then use dropbox to retrieve it.
seems rather silly that i can't save a file to the iPad -actually, it's not silly, it's just plain dumb.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
GoodReader will solve this problem w/o jailbreaking. It's one of the very first app i bought and it's totally worth it if you're reading any PDFs at all, and you can use it as a simple file manager.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
seems rather silly that i can't save a file to the iPad -actually, it's not silly, it's just plain dumb.
Just one of the many reasons I have an Android tablet.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #14
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
I found a work around, and man is it the long way round...

Instead of getting the mobi file, I can download an ePub using a pay third party app ( file browser), then email that to my Kindle and Amazon will do the conversion. There goes whatever formatting in the mobi the book had...
Can't you just save the file to the Downloads-folder (on Android you can long press a link to do that) and then mail it to the Kindle address using the mail app? Works on my Android tablet.... I just cannot imagine that the iPad is incapable to do this in the same way.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-18-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #15
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Can't you just save the file to the Downloads-folder (on Android you can long press a link to do that) and then mail it to the Kindle address using the mail app? Works on my Android tablet.... I just cannot imagine that the iPad is incapable to do this in the same way.
One of the biggest issues of the iPad is that it doesn't have a file system accessible by an ordinary user. This is by design -- I don't know if it is a good design, however . The idea is/was that files get scattered all over your hard drive and the average user shouldn't have to deal with a hierarchical directory. Instead, you go to the app you want and it accesses its own files. The problem occurs when you want to send those files somewhere else. It is often hard to get a file from 'here to there'. Because of there is no mechanism to save a file in the browser and to access it from another app such as email.

There are some work arounds that exist. Many apps support dropbox, and something saved in dropbox in one app can go to another app. Some of the alternative browsers also support dropbox.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote