Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
trying scifi/fantasy..

I'm more a fan of DeLillo, Pynchon, Follett, etc and generally prefer reality to fantasy, but I figure there must be something I like that's within the genre. I absolutely cannot stand harry potter or twilight, or stories where a high-school wizard comes into his powers. I love multiplots, complexity is good, something not completely cliched. I've read lord of the rings and a game of thrones (debating if I should continue or wait till the rest come out), but nothing beyond those.

I've heard of Robert Jordan and Terry Goodkind but haven't looked too hard into either of them. Would they be a good place to go next, or if not, then what?
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Guy Gavriel Kay: Either The Lions of Al Rassan or Tigana
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
As a sidebar to your question: Since you appear to like Post-Modernist literature (as do I), have you read William Gaddis?

You might also look into Haruki Murakami, whom you are already probably aware of.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
generally prefer reality to fantasy
Oh oh, a masochist... you can be cured

I consider Jordan and Goodkind to be fantasy; for scifi of current vintage I would point to CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series, or Alastair Reynolds, or (?) McDermottJack McDevitt, or Jeffery Carver, or .. or

Take a look at this flowchart for finding your choice of the 100 best scifi - it may be a little less biased than I am certainly more complete!

Last edited by pholy; 10-13-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Wrong author name
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
As a sidebar to your question: Since you appear to like Post-Modernist literature (as do I), have you read William Gaddis?

You might also look into Haruki Murakami, whom you probably are already aware of.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I recommend reading the first three Song of Ice and Fire books (A Game of Thrones is book 1), but I haven't read book 4 yet.

Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy is excellent. It starts with Assassin's Apprentice. Take a look at the ebook sample and see if it hooks you.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
TC Southwell's books about The Queen's Blade might be something for you. Refreshingly free of teen wizards, pseudo-vampires, and humble nobodies forced to save the world as they never knew it.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #8
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i don't know how many, if any, are in ebook form but i'd recommend the works Adam Roberts. he writes very unusual/trippy sci-fi and fantasy in the vein of someone like Philip Jose Farmer.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I just finished re-reading the first of EE (Doc) Smith's Lensman books, and I feel confident in not recommending them to you.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

You might also look into Haruki Murakami, whom you probably are already aware of.

Don
I've heard of Gaddis before, but never have read any of his work. Hmm, I notice Amazon has Agape Agape on their Kindle store..
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Welcome to MR!

My favorite SF is Dhalgren - Samuel R. Delany followed by The Foundation Trilogy - Issac Asimov

There are a couple of "recommended SF" threads..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152359

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142009

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...cience+fiction

also:
http://scifilists.sffjazz.com/lists_books_rank1.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SF_Masterworks

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011...ice?intcmp=239

Last edited by kennyc; 10-13-2011 at 06:45 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
How about Joe Abercrombie and the The First Law series? Definitely not Harry Potter.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:53 AM   #13
chrisanthropic
Fiend
chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Orson Scott Cards "Ender's Trilogy" is a good multi-layered sci-fi, and of course anything by Philip K. Dick is incredible. [WARNING Tangent Ahead] Seriously, regardless of the (often ridiculous) situations Dick puts his characters they jump off the page...maybe it's just me but I'm constantly amazed at how multi-layered his characters are.
chrisanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:11 AM   #14
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Frank Herbert's Dune series (the original 6 books). Deep, introspective, complex and pretty much set the template for things like A Song of Ice and Fire. They're science fiction but honestly could take place in any time period or genre, the technology is secondary to the story and they're more reliant on dialogue and inner monologue than action.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:49 AM   #15
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Sci-Fi - C. J. Cherryh's Alliance-Union universe is fascinating --- _Downbelow Station_ is an amazing book and well worth reading (Hugo Winner if I recall correctly). The other books in the series are interesting in their own right, though many have markedly different characters and points of conflict.

Fantasy - Roger Zelazny's Amber Books are interesting and may hold up your idea of a multi-leveled plot (or not).
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote