Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
saxondawg
Connoisseur
saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: kindle paperwhite
Viewing "most recent" from Calibre in Kindle Fire

I've gone back and forth on whether to post this under KFire forums or here, and finally decided it's probably a Calibre thing. I'm probably wrong.

On my K2 and K3, I would load several new books from Calibre onto the device and they would show up at the top of the home page if I sorted by "most recent" rather than "author" or "title." Simple enough.

Kindle Fire doesn't move a book to the "head of the class" until you actually open it on the device. In other words, out of 1,000 books on board, a book you just now loaded may be the 340th listed book. Another one, loaded at the same time, may show up 257th. There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to it. I can't figure out what date tag the Fire is looking at, but i would really like to see my newest books up top, without having to immediately hunt them down title by title.

Yes, it's a very small annoyance, little to complain about, but I'm just curious if anyone knows how to beat this. Anything I can do in Calibre to tell Kindle Fire that these books are the "most recent." Thanks, and I realize the problem is not at all with Calibre here--it's just that Calibre might help me.
saxondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Have you set you Fire to sort by most recent first? I don't know if the FIre has such a setting, but the eink kindles do.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
saxondawg
Connoisseur
saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Yes, it's a very simple "tap" at the top of the screen: most recent, by author, by title. When I use "most recent,' it works only in terms of most recent opened books; not most recent uploaded ones. I guess I'm really just interested in figuring out why. I assume it has to do with those mobi .mbp files, but it's odd since the e-ink Kindles DO put the newly added books at the top.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As you say, Books -> Device -> By Recent first lists ebooks you have opened (in last read order) and then lists "new" ebooks (ones you have not opened). I have "new" ebooks that are months old. There does not seem to be any particular order to the "new" ebooks.

The "new" ebooks do not have a .mbp file, and the opened ebooks are sorted based on the last modify date of the .mbp file (or perhaps the same date inside the file).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried downloading an ebook from Amazon. It shows up as "new" and at the top of the Device -> By Recent list.

The only difference I see is that it has an empty .mbp file, which Calibre does not create. However, when I tried creating an empty .mbp file for an existing Calibre-created ebook this seemed to have no effect (did not move the ebook to the top of the list).
Advert
Old 04-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try messing with the PDOC tag. The behavior might be influenced by that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Try messing with the PDOC tag. The behavior might be influenced by that.
Marking as personal documents puts the ebooks in the Docs app, but does not change the "By Recent" sorting which still seems to be arbitrary for "new" ebooks.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #8
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I don't own a Fire, but is it perhaps using the Published Date column (the Kindle 3 when you sort by Author displays in reversed published date order). Just speculating...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
saxondawg
Connoisseur

Interesting theory. This is what I was hoping, that there would be a column I could exploit. Again, it's not exactly a huge issue, but with a big library it's an irritating one. Especially with the lack of collections, which is a real shocker for the Fire. Another shocker for me was the lack of universal search (though it does take out the indexing problems that sometimes plagued earlier Kindles).