Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-06-2015, 07:53 AM   #31
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Has that stopped you in the past?
.. sorry, but oh so true...
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #32
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Presumably the Kobo front-light will be better than the Voyage light, and obviously the UI and more open FW will be superior to the increasingly horribly restrictive Kindle UI and FW. Want bold fonts? People will have to get one of these and not a Voyage. If Kobo can significantly beat the price of the Voyage, then we'll see some action in the market. Probably Amazon will be forced to lower the price of the Voyage.

Last edited by Rizla; 04-06-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2015, 03:37 PM   #33
netromo
netromo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
The Glo HD was created to complete against the Kindle Voyage.

The Glo HD specs are better than its current Kobo line-up.

Glo HD Specs:
6” Carta E Ink HD touchscreen
1448×1072 resolution, 300 dpi

Aura H2O Specs:
Extra-large 6.8” Carta E Ink HD touchscreen
1430 x 1080, 265 dpi

Aura HD Specs:
6.8" Pearl E Ink Screen ClarityScreen
1440 x 1080, 265 dpi

Aura Specs:
6" High-res Pearl E Ink ClarityScreen with low-flash waveform;
1024 x 758, 16 level grey scale

Glo Specs:
6" XGA Pearl E Ink touchscreen
1024x768 resolution, 16-level grey scale
-------------------------------------------------
Kindle Voyage Specs:
6" display with Carta e-paper technology
1430 x 1080, 300 dpi
A little nitpicking here . Kindle Voyage resolution is 1448 x 1072 according to the online user's guide. So the screens are seemingly identical.

Last edited by netromo; 04-06-2015 at 03:40 PM.
netromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #34
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by netromo View Post
A little nitpicking here . Kindle Voyage resolution is 1448 x 1072. According to the online user's guide.
My Voyage screenshots measure 1448 x 1072, too.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #35
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
FYI: Kobo is announcing something tomorrow at 10am eastern.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #36
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Awesome! I knew it would be soon.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #37
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Guess I won't have to wait patiently for Amazon to release Voyage in Canada.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #38
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
Guess I won't have to wait patiently for Amazon to release Voyage in Canada.
You know the Kobo Glo HD will be better, and cheaper, anyway!

I'm wondering if Amazon will lower the price of the Voyage soon. I'm hoping they do, and give me a credit for the difference. (I'm on the 5-payment plan, so I think that puts me in a special "window"). If they don't want to do that, I may return it....my Voyage has a pin prick. I've been ignoring it, but I do wonder if it will get bigger. I really do like the Voyage, but I feel pretty confident I will like the Glo HD better....so....
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:34 PM   #39
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
In GoodEreader it's whriting "Kobo Glo HD and will be retailing for around $149" it's the same as kobo aura.

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...ilable-may-1st
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:11 PM   #40
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Just some thoughts/observations:

The cover that Kobo is showing off with the Glo HD is really nice. I wonder if it will become available for H2O as well. Also, I prefer the name Glo instead of Aura. And furthermore, I could always use another eReader.

I'm sold.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:10 AM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
By tomorrow you mean Tuesday the 7th? As it is already "tomorrow" here, that puts it at midnight for me (assuming I did the timezone calculation right). So, I'm probably going to wake up at about 2am and think "What was announced?" and not be able to go back to sleep. And if I get up and check, it will be an "exciting" announcement like the last one with Oprah.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:26 AM   #42
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Don't forget the announcement could have something to do with making Overdrive available to the Kobo devices. It would certainly be more relevant to their customers than the Oprah announcement.

It's now 12:25am EST on Tuesday morning, so 9 1/2 hours give or take and we'll find out.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:53 AM   #43
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I want microSD. It is really important for me, my manga needs it.

IR of Glo was very nice too, but Carta screens don't offer it. I am afraid IR touch is dead.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:40 AM   #44
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
I want microSD. It is really important for me, my manga needs it.

IR of Glo was very nice too, but Carta screens don't offer it. I am afraid IR touch is dead.
The H2O has a Carta screen with IR touch, and looking at this pic from post #1 the inside edge of the Glo HD's bezel looks a lot like the H2O's.

But if there is no SD slot and no IR touch then I think I would go for the H2O instead of the Glo HD when it comes time to replace my Glo.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:25 AM   #45
Geared
Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Kobo Glo HD - Quick Start Guide
http://download.kobobooks.com/magent...quickstart.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	koboglohd_quickstart-2.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	136924  
Geared is offline   Reply With Quote