Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
paul-b
paul-b began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Error: Large File or Table?

Hello,

I have a regimen which pushes out multiple technical publications on a periodic basis. I do the XML myself (generated by a program) and emerge with no problems.. until now.

My program generates EPUBS that Kindlegen has no problems with. Kindlegen forces closed a missing tag here or there, but otherwise has zero issues with my submissions.

Now size may be irrelevant here (that is what he/she said , I just pass that as maybe helpful information -- Here, I have a very large EPUB. It is 50 MB uncompressed. 10 MB or so compressed.

Kindlegen hangs on it (so does SIGIL, so does Calibre.. I don't usually use them, but did so to try and troubleshoot this).

When Kindlegen hangs, I go to the linenumber in the source XML file.. and nothing jumps out at me as the cause of error.

I have even tried HTML-Tidying the file. HTML Tidy finds FIVE issues in a 50 MB file. Not bad. But the HTML Tidy issues are not even broached by Kindlegen.

I am at a loss for where to look next. Looking at the Kindlegen linenumbers (where it hangs) has not helped. HTML Tidy errors are prolly easily dispatched by Kindlegen anyway.. and are a far distance from the the line numbers that Kindlegen gags on.

I'm stumped. I don't want a specific answer here with this info I provide.. just a hint of where to look.

At the moment.. all I can think of is size issues (he/she) said. But, that does not seem right.

Aside from mega-file size.. the only other issue I can think of is tables. Kindlegen is gagging in vicinity of tables. Though.. HTML Tidy has had minor issues with those tables (5 errors about extraneous crap within the <th> and so on).

Ideas????
paul-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Aerys
Connoisseur
Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.

Device: iPad 2 & Nexus 7
Sigil or Calibre usually hangs on an epub if the HTML is very large. Is it just one HTML file inside the epub?
Aerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
paul-b

Yes, the error is in one file. The one which happens to be the biggest.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 AM   #4
Aerys
Connoisseur
Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.

Device: iPad 2 & Nexus 7
You might want to split that HTML into a smaller size. The recommended size for a single HTML file inside the epub is around 280Kb. But then HTML filesize should not be an issue with Kindlegen processing it. Did your epub pass the epubcheck and/or preflight validation?

BTW, you might want to provide a screenshot of the error and lines of the HTML where the error is happening so others might be able to decipher the problem.
Aerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
paul-b

Yep. It was file size. As an EPUB it was around 11 MB.. but when uncompressed it was in excess of 50 MB. I split it into two Volumes.. and it works perfectly now.

A bit disappointing though. I really want to publish it in one EPUB, like the paper version of the same product. (it's a really big technical reference)
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-b View Post
Yep. It was file size. As an EPUB it was around 11 MB.. but when uncompressed it was in excess of 50 MB. I split it into two Volumes.. and it works perfectly now.

A bit disappointing though. I really want to publish it in one EPUB, like the paper version of the same product. (it's a really big technical reference)
I do not believe it was necessary to make two volumes. It should have worked if you just split the file itself into smaller pieces. It is likely, not that you have split it, that you could assemble it in one ePub and it would work.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote