Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #16
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I like to fall into a world. and stay there, for a long time. a short story is like a hit of Coke. but then the author wont sell you anymore.
Here here. I am with ya. I love an ongoing story were the writer(s) have the freedom to continue the story and expand characters beyond the scope of a single book. I love that there can be inside jokes in large series for those of us that read all the books. For this reason I am drawn into series entirely based on the length of the series. I have been in book stores (usually used book stores) and seen a series of 4, 5 or more books and bought the lot just because there was a thorough series being written. Most often I am pleased by longer series as it usually requires a more thorough and well thought out world/universe/etc... But as with all things there has been the odd dud as well.

As far as specific series go I will add to the list the Star Wars series of books. This tends to be a love it/ hate it series. I have been reading the books since I learned to read and own over 75 Star Wars books alone. I love the universe. I love that there are books based on so many different characters. I will say that I love the older stuff (New Republic Era) best of all and that again like anything there have been duds. All I will add to this is that if you can read the Timothy Zahn duology or his trilogy and not find yourself back to those exciting days of watching the original 3 movies as a youngster then you are a stronger man than I.

Oh and I have yet to delve into Star Trek novels as my wife already groans everytime I mention a new book in all the different series I follow that I am scared if I add a series as vast as Star Trek she may impose a budget.... Although she really loved the new movie so maybe I can get her hooked on the novels... win win

Mike
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #17
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I must bring in some more:
- a man-made universe "The Way" in Eon by Greg Bear http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_(Greg_Bear))
- The first universe that really got me started - The Dune universe by Frank Herbert http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_universe
- The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton - great space opera universe with multitude of [Human] civilizations, colonists, sentinent habitats in space, .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night%27s_Dawn_Trilogy

- last but not least I will mention in this post is The Otherland series by Tad Williams.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otherland
This is great, great adventure that takes place mostly in man made worlds created inside virtual reality simulators. The computers, as you will find out are powered by ... No. No spoilers ... ;-)
If you look up when the series was written, Tad Williams is really quite prescient about the future of Internet, the technology, ...
I really, really enjoyed all four really thick volumes.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 02:56 AM   #18
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Tad Williams isn't a Name Ive seen before, and my first delve into cyberpunk was not very successful (neuromancer)

I might just give him a shot. that's the second book I've found from this thread. glad its popular already.

Ill Third Anything by Niven (but he did write alot, there are some crappy ones. but Knowns Space and Moties are both great series)

Alfred Bester's "The Stars My Destination" was an Interesting Novel to say the least, but it also created a new society based on the thesis, what happens to a society where humans can teleport wherever they want to. And Instead of following a good guy trying to protect people or save the world. It follows someone who is insane who is trying to take revenge, a Greedy Business man, An Assassin with changing loyalties, and other unlikeable sorts. it's a novel where you hate everyone, but the world it creates is just so real its scary. its not one of those Utopian books.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:59 AM   #19
ylefox
gadget freak
ylefox has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ylefox has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ylefox has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ylefox has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: cybook gen3 +palm tungsten e,e2,tablet pc
my favourite would be the stainless steel rat by series harry harrison,with asimov`s foundation series coming second and all ee doc smith`s series.
i have lost count how many times i have went back and read the complete series of the stainless steel rat again, some people will read a book once and not read it again but i like to read to go back and read them again
ylefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:02 AM   #20
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Tad Williams isn't a Name Ive seen before, and my first delve into cyberpunk was not very successful (neuromancer)
Otherland is a little bit different breed of Cyberpunk.
Be careful! You start reading the first few chapters of the first book and then you will *have* to buy the next three. ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #21
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
I have the Otherland Quadrilogy in hardback they are treasured possessions.

I am a big fan of Neal Ashers Polity universe, also particularly fond of the Takeshi Kovacs universe created by Richard Morgan and Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom series
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #22
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylefox View Post
my favourite would be the stainless steel rat by series harry harrison
you just caught me with that name. sounds like a fun series. I've heard of harry harrison before, but I never heard a single thing about him then just his name and a name of a random book. thanks for the recomendation
Old 06-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #23
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I must bring in some more:
- a man-made universe "The Way" in Eon by Greg Bear http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_(Greg_Bear))
- The first universe that really got me started - The Dune universe by Frank Herbert http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_universe
I loved "The Way"!

Also a big Dune fan. I have a question, in fact: do other Dune fans agree that Frank Herbert's son's prequels feel incongruous with the original books? I have not read all of them, but the few I have read left me feeling like the world he described doesn't seem like a world that could ever have given birth to the Dune universe.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #24
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
I loved "The Way"!

Also a big Dune fan. I have a question, in fact: do other Dune fans agree that Frank Herbert's son's prequels feel incongruous with the original books? I have not read all of them, but the few I have read left me feeling like the world he described doesn't seem like a world that could ever have given birth to the Dune universe.

- Ahi
Eons been on my watch list for a long time. it just made it to my read list.

ahh, this thread has given me 5 series to read. there goes a year of my life. thanks guys!
Old 06-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #25
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Eons been on my watch list for a long time. it just made it to my read list.

ahh, this thread has given me 5 series to read. there goes a year of my life. thanks guys!
Alastair Reynolds is apparently pretty amazing too. Revelation Space (both a series and the first book therein) has 5 books, and he also has some other novels and short stories too.

Haven't read him yet... but someone in a thread of mine on the topic told me they think Alastair outshines Iain M. Banks. So make it a 6th. What is that, another 2-3 months?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #26
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Alastair Reynolds is apparently pretty amazing too. Revelation Space (both a series and the first book therein) has 5 books, and he also has some other novels and short stories too.

Haven't read him yet... but someone in a thread of mine on the topic told me they think Alastair outshines Iain M. Banks. So make it a 6th. What is that, another 2-3 months?

- Ahi
evil, pure evil! that's another one I've heard things about but never got around to checking it out.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #27
Fathermole
Connoisseur
Fathermole began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
For Sci-fi I love Dr. Who ,an ever changing arena for adventure . For fantasy I would say The Recluce saga by L.E. Modesitt Jr.
Fathermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #28
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
I acknowledge that there are good short stories.. but my problem with them is that they are so short!. I watch TV shows because movies are so short. I read books cause TV shows are so short. I read book Series because books are so short.

I like to fall into a world. and stay there, for a long time. a short story is like a hit of Coke. but then the author wont sell you anymore.
I'm with Andy on this one. When I love something, I hate for it to have ended.

My favorite sci/fi universes are Vinge's and Brin's and Cherryh's... Man when I finished Fire Upon a Deep, I put it down and walked around it a couple days and then picked it up and read it again. Seriously hehe... Fire Upon The Deep (damn what great ideas!), all six Uplift Books (man, he just makes you Care!), Heavy Time and The Pride of Chanur (space opera with brains and seeing events through a character's biases, experiences, and goals.). All brilliant, different writing focuses but all quality, thought provoking books. And none of the three authors are a full-fledged race from one action scene to another. But that's what I like best. I really enjoy Weber and Bujold and Julian May too but they're more action oriented and my very favorite ones are the ones that both entertain and make me think.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #29
ylefox
gadget freak
ylefox has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ylefox has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ylefox has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ylefox has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: cybook gen3 +palm tungsten e,e2,tablet pc
Quote:
you just caught me with that name. sounds like a fun series. I've heard of harry harrison before, but I never heard a single thing about him then just his name and a name of a random book. thanks for the recomendation
there are harry harrison books in the library converted by nate the great,try them i think you`ll like them
ylefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #30
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I really liked the universe in Joan D. Vinge's The Snow Queen and her Cat series.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote