Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-23-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
zmarty
zmarty began at the beginning.

Device: eSlick Reader?
eSlick Reader 2 columns PDF support (pics inside)

Hi everybody,

I wrote an e-mail to Foxit Support asking them if the eSlick supports 2 column PDF files. I attached one of my research papers to the e-mail. This is what they sent me back (check attachment). Quite decent. Except that the reflow feature (second picture) doesn't handle spaces between words that well (I wonder why, it should be easy enough to fix).

Ovi
http://www.ovidiudan.com/
Attached Files
File Type: zip pics.zip (11.00 MB, 693 views)

Last edited by zmarty; 04-23-2009 at 12:42 AM.
zmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:49 AM   #2
wanchope
Enthusiast
wanchope began at the beginning.

Device: Foxit Eslick, Mobireader on Nokia 6220c
I promise you the font will be too small to read in either portrait or horizontal way. (The pictures are misleading, coz things look bigger than they really are. Just thing how big the device is). The only feasible way would be the reflow mode, as shown in the 2nd pic in your zip. But as you said, the page layout is not pretty in this case. And since there's no bookmark function, it's also troublesome to get back the the part you last read if it's reflowed.

So if you really need to read some double-column files, you'd better mannually edit em to single-column with acrobat pro or something. It's quite easy if the files contain text only. But with diagrams and pictures, it'd be a different story.
wanchope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Portrait viewing (first picture) is useless - font too small - and it’s just what every 6” eBook reader will show.

Reflow is useless (second picture).
If this is an example of the reflow PDF output from the reader, it’s a disgrace, the one in the Sony (505 or 700) is way much better - never seen a reflowed PDF in me 505 so messed up, and for sure never with the letters “on top of each other” like it’s shown in the image.

Landscape viewing is acceptable, but again you can obtain this reading experience with all the 6” eBook readers who support PDF. The Sony 505 and 700 are great as they “cut” the page in 2 and thus give a half of page each time, the Cybook is more difficult as one must test several “zoom” options until finding the correct correlation between enough font size and page navigation.

So I do not see why the eSlick is so special (besides the bad reflowing), and others are offering something very similar for quite some time now.

If you want, you can post here the same paper and I can text it in the 505 and the Cybook and post the results, so you can compare.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
zmarty

Hi,

Please do .. the paper is here: http://www.ovidiudan.com/papers/Newistic.pdf

I am guessing that the eSlick has better PDF support than most readers; I'm very curious how the paper would look like on a Sony, and any other reader for that matter.

Thanks,
Ovi
Old 04-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The screenshots are from Sony's Windows eBook Library Viewer. This emulates a PRS-700. The 1st screenshot is the full page view (note there is no margin trimming). The 2nd is the "M" option for the smallest reflow font (there is also larger L and XL options). The actual PRS-700 also has a landscape mode, which isn't available on the PC. The 3rd screenshot is still in reflow mode, showing the image from the same page of the PDF. Don't forget that these screenshots will most likely be larger on you PC's screen than on the actual device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Newistic_PRS1.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	27994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Newistic_PRS2.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	27995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Newistic_PRS3.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	27996  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
However, page 7 does not reflow in Sony's Windows eBook Library Viewer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Newistic_PRS4.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	27997  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
zmarty

Hmm.. interesting. Thank you.

I'm also wondering if these devices would know how to handle papers that contain mathematical formulas.

Ovi
Old 04-24-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
wanchope
Enthusiast
wanchope began at the beginning.

Device: Foxit Eslick, Mobireader on Nokia 6220c
No 6-inch-screen device is good for fomulas and charts. Getting a 8-inch or 10-inch one is probably the only option.

Last edited by wanchope; 04-27-2009 at 01:12 AM.
wanchope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Hi

Here I am with the promised results.

First let me say two things:
1 - my photos are not very focused, I apologise for that, still I think they give a clear idea of what to expect;
2 - the example scientific text has (all of them have) a big white margin; in the eSlick photos one does not see that, so or the reader can itself make it disappear or, for the purpose of the comparing one must do that before load the file into a reader, this can easily be done in Acrobat by choosing document/crop pages/remove white margins, also in these forums one can find several solutions to do this, some pen source some not, in this situation I have made it with Acrobat 8.

So here we go…

Sony 505

Photo 1 - this is the portrait without any zoom from the first page, as I state, and others did the same before, it’s useless because the letters are too small and can not be read;
Photo 2 - reflowed first page, this is a quite good result, and all similar to what walcraft shows above in windows and, as he says too, page 7 does not reflow, wish I think as to do with the fact that it has a graphic on the top who occupies both columns, and thus the reader does not know how to reflow that. This option is much better then the eSlick one, one can see that the text is perfectly readable, and nothing like the crumpled letters the eSlick shows in it’s photo;
Photo 3 - page 7 in landscape, same result as the eSlick and other 6” eBook readers;

Cybook Gen3

This reader as not a PDF reflow option, but is supposed to be getting it in the next firmware upgrade, and that we are expecting to happen any day (cough…cough…cough…) now. What it permits is that one can zoom the page to several levels (50% to 90%, etc…).

Photo 4 - this is the landscape of the first page without any special zoom, as one can see gives a equal result to the same function in the 505 above (photo 3) or the eSlick;
Photo 5 - this is the portrait of the first page zoomed at 90%, this is great for reading scientific (2 column) papers as ne can read the left column first and then the right one, the unique problem I see is that at 90% one as to page 3 times to read the full column, instead 2 times in Sony’s landscape, the positive is the clarity and size of the text and images/graphics;
Photo 6 - same situation as photo 5 but one screen down.

Hope this helps your decision.
My personal opinion is 6” eBook readers are not comfortable enough for the reading of A4/letter PDF files even with reflowing besides occasional reading.
For that my advice is (something you already have put away) a tabletpc or the Irex 1000 reader.

Best regards,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	28025   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	28026   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	28027   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	28028   Click image for larger version

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	28029   Click image for larger version

Name:	06.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	28030  
Old 04-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
zmarty

Wow, thanks for the pictures

My conclusion, after about a week of searching, plus your opinions, is that I will either buy an iRex, or wait until the end of the year when the 9.7 inch readers come out (hopefully they will be cheaper).

Thanks again,
Ovi
Old 04-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
DDHarriman
Guru

Good choice.

Best regards,
Old 05-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #12
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I just received my eslick a couple fo days ago. I was disappointed that no cover for the device was included. Also my laptop is Vista 64 bit so I can install the software. So now I have to dig out my older laptop with Win XP.
My questions is this: Is it possible to reflash the eslick and install the Cybook software on it?

Thanks,

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #13
Mach1.9pants
Mach1.9pants doesn't litterMach1.9pants doesn't litter

Device: DR1000S
Hi

I just got my eSlick as well. I used PaperCrop to crop all my 2 and 3 column PDFs, it has been fine so far (I have done them in anticipation... I really didn't think any reflow would be good). So you can give PC a try: http://jupiter.kaist.ac.kr/~taesoo/p...index_eng.html

Also you can install all the Foxit software on Vista 64bit. I am running XP Pro at the moment (a gaming issue ) but I previous had Vista HP 64 bit and all my Foxit software worked fine.. reader and editor I had prior to the eSlick purchase.
Mach1.9pants is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eslick