Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Savory - a native ebook conversion package for the Kindle 2

Quote:
Savory is a native ebook conversion package for the Kindle 2. It lets you download and read PDFs and ePubs on the Kindle without a manual conversion step.
http://blog.fsck.com/2009/04/savory.html

I don't have a Kindle 2, but this seems VERY useful for those of you who do (and are brave enough to try it out).
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle 2
FWIW, I installed and uninstalled savory a couple dozen times while testing it out. The dire warnings in my blog post are there to make sure that folks understand the gravity of installing updates onto a "consumer-grade" device. Savory is actually less "dangerous" than the screensaver or font hacks that people have been using.
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Interesting, I'll check it out cheers for the link!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:40 AM   #4
alfarhan
Enthusiast
alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
I installed Savory successfully. I moved a PDF file to my Documents folder on the K2. Nothing happened! I can't see my converted file anywhere.
alfarhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

@alfarhan: Can you tell me what version string you see at the bottom of your setting page and a directory listing of your kindle's /system directory?
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Very nice work Jesse. I'm sure many people will find this very usefull. Unfortunately I don't have a K2 to test on.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
Ravenlocke
Ravenlocke is on a distinguished road

This is pretty amazing Jesse! Thank you...I have actually been trying to compile Calibre on my PS3 for a week or so using Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 with no luck. This could solve my problems. Any chance for .lit conversion as well? Thanks again!
Ravenlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
jesse
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlocke View Post
This is pretty amazing Jesse! Thank you...I have actually been trying to compile Calibre on my PS3 for a week or so using Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 with no luck. This could solve my problems. Any chance for .lit conversion as well? Thanks again!
Yes. There's an issue with my hacked-up Calibre that causes the .lit converter to exit with a UTF8 error. That's why I'm only promising .epub and .pdf at the moment

I'd expect this to be resolved at some point in the future.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

I happen to be at work right now, but damn is this pretty impressive, and I'll have to give this a try once I'm home. This is going to safe me a lot of trouble with having to manually convert, etc. I use pdf's quite often and it becomes a real time sink getting them functioning properly on my K2.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:12 AM   #10
alfarhan
Enthusiast
alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

@jesse Thanks for everything man. Here's what it says:

Version: Kindle 2.0.2 (309510017) UNSUPPORTED SAVORY-0.01
Old 04-05-2009, 05:23 AM   #11
alfarhan
Enthusiast

@jesse ..
..and my kindle system folder contains:

com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader <--- A Folder
savory-image.ext3 <--- Your Magic
Search Indexes <--- A Folder
userannotlog <--- A File

In the root, I have the usual stuff: Audible, documents, music, pictures, system
Old 04-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #12
lancel
lancel began at the beginning.

@jesse...I'm having the same trouble as alfarhan. After successfully installing Savory and updating, I moved over a .PDF to "documents" but it has not appeared anywhere on the Kindle 2.

Version: Kindle 2.0.2 (309510017) UNSUPPORTED SAVORY-0.01

kindle/system/ contains:
com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader <--- A Folder
Search Index <--- A Folder
savory-image.ext3 <--- Your program
userannotlog.0 <--- A File

Thanks for working on the program. It could really make using the Kindle 2 that much more enjoyable.

Best,
Lance
lancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #13
lancel
lancel began at the beginning.

@jesse...Since installing Savory, my Kindle 2 no longer finds plain text files I manually install either. What should I do? Thanks.
lancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
jesse
Connoisseur

@lancel as a debugging step, move the .ext3 image out of the way and reboot the kindle. tell me if the .txt files show up.

@alfarhan - what happens if you use the browser to download a PDF?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #15
jesse
Connoisseur

@lancel, @alfarhan - can you ty uninstalling 0.05 and installing version 0.06 and see if you have a better experience?

Tags
epub, kindle 2, kindle conversion, savory