Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
grizgrin
Master of My Universe
grizgrin is on a distinguished road

Location: I live in Greenville, SC, but spend a bit more than half the time away from home. For the past year or so I have been working on a project in India, and let me tell you that was a culture shock!
Device: laptop (I'm here to learn then buy!)
Howdy from South Carolina, India.

Hey folks. I'm in the process of decideng what ereader to sink my beloved cash into, and google said "Go thou to mobileread.com, they have cookies." So here I am. I'll be lurking and asking stupid newb questions and generally making a horses hind end out of myself if my wife is to be believed. Thanks for having me aboard!
grizgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizgrin View Post
Hey folks. I'm in the process of decideng what ereader to sink my beloved cash into, and google said "Go thou to mobileread.com, they have cookies." So here I am. I'll be lurking and asking stupid newb questions and generally making a horses hind end out of myself if my wife is to be believed. Thanks for having me aboard!
We have chocolate, I don't remember seeing cookies.

I love my Kindle, but you wouldn't be able to use Whispernet while you were in India. However, you would be able to download books to your computer and transfer them that way.

People have discussed to death what is the best ebook reader to buy. It really depends on what suits you:

1. Design: some people hate the Kindle design (with a keyboard). However, it makes purchasing books directly from the unit very easy ... which I love. Again, however, if you don't like the keyboard and you aren't going to be in the States much, then you might want to consider the Sony reader.

2. Functionality: most ebook readers do not allow for taking notes on the screen. If this sort of thing is important to you ... then consider getting an Iliad ... it's more pricey, but being able to take notes on the page is nice. However, there are also some very nice micro pcs out there for roughly the price of an Iliad that will work as an ebook reader and they have color. In addition, there are some nice older tablet pcs out there that will work for ebooks and PDF, and are cheap and in color (I'm thinking of the HP TC1000).

3. Reading materials: You can get public domain books for free for the Sony reader here, otherwise I think you are limited to what's at the Sony store. I have no idea how large their selection is because I don't have a Sony. You can also get PD books for the Kindle here, and then you are limited to Amazon's Kindle store. I do not know about some of the other types of readers ... so someone else will have to chime in here ....
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Welcome to MR (and to India as well - it's tooooo far away for me). As to readers, I highly recommend that whatever you choose, you give strong consideration to 1) e-ink displays, and 2) to ebook formats available for purchase.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizgrin View Post
well alright-y then. I've had lots of experience at "asking stupid newb questions and generally making a horses hind end out of myself" just let me know....and welcome!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Be sure to check out the Wiki link at the top of the page. How you read (take notes, use dictionary, etc.) can influence your choice of devices. Also, the kind of books you like to read will be a factor. The Wiki includes a list of ebook stores and free ebook websites.

Oh, and tell your wife to relax. I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi grizgrin and welcome to the Forum. I have a Sony 505 and like it a lot. Good advice about eInk.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings, grizgrin. Enjoy the forum!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote