Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
hmls
Enthusiast
hmls began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Air travel and the Cybook

I am wondering, how many of you actually turn the Cybook off when they tell you to turn off electronic devices? I have taken two trips with my Cybook so far and on this last trip I just couldn't bring myself to stop reading and turn it off. While we are on the subject, does anyone know the basis of this rule? I get why cell phones might be an issue (and didn't Mythbusters bust that even?), but are iPods, handheld games, ebook readers, etc really going to have a detrimental effect on aircraft instruments?
hmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
There are several threads on this issue in connection with the Sony Reader. (--Mostly rather old threads.)
It may not be strictly necessary but why run the risk of upsetting people? And if you are in a plane then it is a good idea to follow the instructions of the flight crew. I feel that if I'm in a pressurised metal tube several miles up then I'm nervous enough to obey even non-essential rules.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
The operator is legally responsible to determine it a PED will cause interference so it is much easier for them to tell you to turn em all off, than be selective.

See FAA advisor circular if you are interested in more info.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...2091.21-1B.pdf
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I don't turn mine OFF, I put it into sleep mode. And my Cybook lisuese is a Sony, and it's a "context" named Vera.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Something about planes, either the enforced sitting quietly or maybe the pressurized air, but I can't read much on a plane. I'm asleep. As soon as my bottom hits the uncomfortable torture seat and I strap in, I'm out. Husband wakes me up for meal cart, you know, back when they used to serve food on flights.

Does in-flight narcolepsy affect you guys so severely?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Something about planes, either the enforced sitting quietly or maybe the pressurized air, but I can't read much on a plane. I'm asleep. As soon as my bottom hits the uncomfortable torture seat and I strap in, I'm out. Husband wakes me up for meal cart, you know, back when they used to serve food on flights.

Until recently, I found it impossible to sleep on a plane due to being in a sitting position. Lately, however, I find myself dozing if not sleeping during flights. To save money, the air within the plane is not turned over very quickly, resulting in a higher carbon dioxide level. The air pressure is also kept lower than normal. I think both of these contribute to drowsiness.

I put my electronic devices (laptop and Kindle) into sleep/hibernate/standby mode during take-off and landing. I power off my cell phone. I also disable the wireless mode of the laptop and Kindle before I board the plane. However, last year on a trip to Germany, the Lufthansa plane I was on had on-board WiFi with a small server on the plane providing web-based info on things to see & do in Germany. For $6 per hour, you could connect to the Internet through a satellite service. The only problem was that the plane didn't have power outlets at the seats in coach! I'd have gladly paid for the Internet access, but my battery only lasts 2 hours when using WiFi. That's sad on a 9-hour flight!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
*sigh* i wish. sadly for me it's the opposite.

i have not yet flown with my liseuse (spéciale dédicace taylor for the context comment : ). however like patricia i am not at all reassured on planes, so i will also power it off or do anything else they ask me to, if only out of superstition and courtesy. i don't usually have any gadgets on flights, other than my phone, and i turn that off (also to save the battery).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #8
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I usually Tuck my reader away when the flight is taking off or landing, but on my last flight, there was quiet a delay waiting for a take off slot, and I kept on reading, only realising as we levelled off (Yes The book was that interesting, but is was more that I have waited thru too many take offs and landings that I just tune it out)

Anyway, I haven't been asked by cabin staff to switch it off any of the times I have continued to read, even when I was once in the first row, just in front to where they were sitting.

The only query I have usually had is of interest, of what it is, and where to get it. I just point them to this site, to get the best info

Seriously, from what I understand there are two main reasons for being required to switch off electronic devices. The first as mentioned above, is a question of interference, however remote of a chance it might be.

The other is that the passenger is alert, and able to react and follow instruction in case of a emergency. after all you don't want someone so engrossed in their music or playing a game, etc. that they can't follow the crew's instructions.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
To save money, the air within the plane is not turned over very quickly, resulting in a higher carbon dioxide level.
I'm sorry what? I never heard of this. How do you think that will save money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
The air pressure is also kept lower than normal. I think both of these contribute to drowsiness.
I believe, and we do have some commercial pilots on this forum that most commercial flights are pressurized between 6000-8000ft above sea level. So that is lower than normal pressure for someone from Florida could be a bit higher than normal for someone from Denver. So, if you have lung problems you could perhaps suffer from mild hypoxia. However, I don't think drowsiness is a symptom of that.

Symptoms:
  • Air Hunger
  • Dizziness
  • Headache
  • Mental and Muscle Fatigue
  • Nausea
  • Hot and Cold Flashes
  • Tingling
  • Visual Impairment
  • Euphoria
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #10
Kaero
Kaero began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmls View Post
I am wondering, how many of you actually turn the Cybook off when they tell you to turn off electronic devices? I have taken two trips with my Cybook so far and on this last trip I just couldn't bring myself to stop reading and turn it off. While we are on the subject, does anyone know the basis of this rule? I get why cell phones might be an issue (and didn't Mythbusters bust that even?), but are iPods, handheld games, ebook readers, etc really going to have a detrimental effect on aircraft instruments?

Mythbusters are not perfect. Simply, it is a fact cell phones make interferences with old airplanes. Especially old cell phones with high emmiting power. Today, more electronic shielding is built in airplanes. Any device with wifi module, bluetooth or cell phone abilities should be switched off (or adequate part of the device), if you are said so. Cybook Gen 3 do not have such a thing, so no problem. You could measure some electromagnetic emission even from a cybook, but it is insignifficant and on the same level as e.g. autopilot computer. You have to ask yourself - have the device got any module emmiting electromagnetic waves at wavelengths smaller than IR?
Kaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:52 AM   #11
hmls
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaero View Post
Mythbusters are not perfect. Simply, it is a fact cell phones make interferences with old airplanes. Especially old cell phones with high emmiting power.
That is actually exactly what Mythbusters found - that only old cell phones could cause interference.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #12
hmls
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Seriously, from what I understand there are two main reasons for being required to switch off electronic devices. The first as mentioned above, is a question of interference, however remote of a chance it might be.

The other is that the passenger is alert, and able to react and follow instruction in case of a emergency. after all you don't want someone so engrossed in their music or playing a game, etc. that they can't follow the crew's instructions.
Ahh, I had not thought of this second reason. I do have to point out though that I am no more distracted by my Cybook than I am with the good old fashioned paper magazine I replace it with when I turn it off during those times.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:37 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm sorry what? I never heard of this. How do you think that will save money?
I've no idea whether or not it's true, but it would save money because the cold air brought in from outside the aircraft has to be heated. If less air is being brought in, there's less heating required.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:15 AM   #14
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've no idea whether or not it's true, but it would save money because the cold air brought in from outside the aircraft has to be heated. If less air is being brought in, there's less heating required.
According to:
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/cabinair/index.html
the air comes from the jet engines, so has to be cooled rather than warmed.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #15
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmls View Post
Ahh, I had not thought of this second reason. I do have to point out though that I am no more distracted by my Cybook than I am with the good old fashioned paper magazine I replace it with when I turn it off during those times.
I agree, but the again, Readers are still pretty new. After all it is easier for Airlines and safety personall to have a blanket rule, as opposed to device specific rules. Otherwise not only would it complicate the procedure, but would result in some Idiot deciding that he know best and decide that his mobile, etc does not come under the rules.

Alsp Keep in mind that while reading can distract you, it does not normally cut you off from the outside world that you can't hear the announcements. A DVD players, Ipod, DS, etc. can do that, especially if you have headphones on.

I just hope that airlines and crew just treat readers with a bit of common sense, as P-book replacements, and not general electronic devices. But that will probably require much more general knowledge of e-ink and higher penetration of readers.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote