Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
Miss
Connoisseur
Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 360+
DRM won't let me put a book on my ereader.

I'm not quite sure where this thread goes...

I just finished agonizing over spending more than I'm entirely comfortable with for an ebook I know I would really enjoy. Many of the short entries are available online but I was craving some wit and humor for relaxed reading on a nice non-glowing screen before bed and finally made the purchase from the Kobo bookstore.

Because of DRM, it won't work on my PB360. It works in ADE, and Calibre, and creates copies of it on my computer in the process, but sending it by Calibre gets the note that the file can't be opened and sending it through ADE gets the note that it cannot be done because copying is not allowed.

I know I can technically strip the DRM. I really don't want to and have managed to avoid it up until this point.

I'm just really discouraged right now by the whole process. I want to read books. Why do they have to make it so hard?
Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
TheInstigator
TheInstigator began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad 2
If you're not willing to strip the DRM and you were aware of the issue that you would be presented with in the first place, then there's not really anything that you can do about it now. You can try contacting Kobo for a refund, if they're feeling nice - but if you know that you need to strip DRM, and you don't want to strip DRM, then it's not the best idea to buy from that sort of store in the first place. If you ever change your mind about stripping the DRM, though, Apprentice Alf is where to go.
TheInstigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
Miss
Connoisseur
Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInstigator View Post
If you're not willing to strip the DRM and you were aware of the issue that you would be presented with in the first place, then there's not really anything that you can do about it now. You can try contacting Kobo for a refund, if they're feeling nice - but if you know that you need to strip DRM, and you don't want to strip DRM, then it's not the best idea to buy from that sort of store in the first place. If you ever change your mind about stripping the DRM, though, Apprentice Alf is where to go.
If I had known the DRM would keep me from placing it on my ereader then I obviously would not have bought it. I'm not that desperate for a pity party.

Kobo is an independant ebookstore, and since it is not locked into any DRM ecosystem I had assumed the books it sold would work on - emphatic drumroll please - independant ereaders. So I'm completely confused.

I have purchased various other DRM-protected ebooks from a different ebook store that work just fine for me.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Have you tried returning the book or contacting kobo or pocketbook support?
Is your PB360 registered with ADE? If not that may do the trick.

Not familiar with pb360 so I do not know if it's software transfers books, but must assume you already tried that.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
Miss
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Have you tried returning the book or contacting kobo or pocketbook support?
Is your PB360 registered with ADE? If not that may do the trick.

Not familiar with pb360 so I do not know if it's software transfers books, but must assume you already tried that.

Helen
Haven't contacted Kobo yet...taking some time to collect my thoughts and make sure I didn't miss something.

PB is regstered with ADE.

Thanks for trying to help.
Advert
Old 07-26-2012, 01:58 AM   #6
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Why can't you copy it via ADE to your Pocketbook? In theory, this should work.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:10 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Forgive the question, but are you sure you're doing it correctly? You need to first of all download the book using ADE, and then use ADE to transfer the book to the device. Is that what you're doing?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:36 AM   #8
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Is the kobo account using the same email address as ADE? (Would it work at all if it wasn't?)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:13 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Is the kobo account using the same email address as ADE? (Would it work at all if it wasn't?)
If the book is readable from within ADE, then everything's fine. The key point is that the PB need to be registered with ADE (ie, it needs to appear in ADE when you connect it via USB and run ADE) and that you need to use ADE to transfer the book to the device.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:39 AM   #10
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss View Post
Kobo is an independant ebookstore, and since it is not locked into any DRM ecosystem I had assumed the books it sold would work on - emphatic drumroll please - independant ereaders.
DRM is usually determined by the publishers rather than the retailer.

Some retailers though tout DRM-free is they do not sell eBooks that have DRM (which also limits their selection).
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If the book is readable from within ADE, then everything's fine. The key point is that the PB need to be registered with ADE (ie, it needs to appear in ADE when you connect it via USB and run ADE) and that you need to use ADE to transfer the book to the device.
This is what I used to do, before I discovered Apprentice Alf.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss View Post
Haven't contacted Kobo yet...taking some time to collect my thoughts and make sure I didn't miss something.

Thanks for trying to help.
While I would certainly give contacting Kobo a shot, I know from experience that they have a "no refunds after download" policy. (I accidentally bought and downloaded a 2011 edition travel book when I wanted the 2012). While they might accept DRM incompatibility as a refund reason, they also might just give you the "it's your responsiblity to determine whether your device is compatible with our product routine".
Best of luck, and do let us know how it turns out.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
While I would certainly give contacting Kobo a shot, I know from experience that they have a "no refunds after download" policy. (I accidentally bought and downloaded a 2011 edition travel book when I wanted the 2012). While they might accept DRM incompatibility as a refund reason, they also might just give you the "it's your responsiblity to determine whether your device is compatible with our product routine".
Best of luck, and do let us know how it turns out.
I honestly don't think this has anything to do with Kobo. My suspicion is that the OP has not used the correct method of transferring the book to the device.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Is the format one of the new Kobo "kepub" books? that might limit its use to only a Kobo reader.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Here is a video on how to transfer a book using ADE...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXKtpJUjNW4
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote