Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
J.L. Penn
Author
J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Smile Favorite chick lit...

Let's talk chick lit! I didn't see this genre covered elsewhere and it's certainly a fave of mine. I love discovering new wonderful books that I didn't even know existed. Below are three of my favorites. What are some of yours?

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin
It's About Your Husband by Lauren Lipton
Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson

Something Borrowed is, in my opinion, required reading for chick lit fans. It is an absolute page turner, and I fell in love with the main characters. Giffin was masterful and leading my emotions right down the path she intended, then wrapped it up with a happy ending that is synonymous with chick lit.

It's About Your Husband is near the top of my list for having one of the best plot twists I've read. This one starts out just a tad slow with a tinge of unbelievability in the beginning, but then it quickly becomes a fast-paced page turner.

Sundays at Tiffany's is beautifully and vividly written. When I read this novel, it played in front of my eyes like a movie, which is relatively rare for me. Although the premise is absurd, the story is so good that it works anyway. Just a really good feel good kind of chick lit novel.

-Jenn
Reunion
The Cinderella Curse
J.L. Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I'm curious: how would you define chick lit? I've read this term before and I suppose I have some vague idea what it means, but...
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
J.L. Penn
Author
J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Chick lit is often synonymous with the terms beach read or romantic comedy. I would define it as women's fiction that is light, easy reading with a happy ending. This doesn't mean there isn't suspense or plot twists, etc. It just means that you won't find yourself immersed in a box of Kleenex at the end and you'll likely get at least a couple of laughs along the way. It is actually a searchable term on Amazon, although the results are not always 100% reliable because it is based on reader tagging. Any romantic comedy movie that is based on a book would be considered chick lit, as an example.

-Jenn
Old 04-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I like Marian Keyes' novels. They're funny and the romance angle is usually tuned down somewhat (which I prefer) in favour of character development. Jennifer Weiner's "Good in bed" is good, too.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
What a great thread! I am also a huge fan of chick lit, and am excited to share - and receive! - some great books and author recommendations. I am actually in Chick Lit book club, and so far it's had a bunch of winners.

If you like Emily Giffin, you definitely want to read Sophie Kinsella. The Shopaholic series is fairly strong (I like the first 2 books, Confessions of a Shopaholic and Shopaholic Takes Manhattan, best), or also check out Can You Keep A Secret?. It's one of her stand alone novels and is really good.

I also second Marian Keyes - my book club's selection this month is Rachel's Holiday by Keyes, and it's hysterical. I'm about halfway through it, and am finding it a light and fun read.

For guilty pleasures - Jackie Collins' Poor Little Bitch Girl. I have never read Jackie Collins, and this book was so trashy, I kind of felt bad for reading it (but not really. Ha.) It's all Hollywood and sex and drugs and prostitutes and murder mystery, so super fun. Apparently this is the newest entry in Collins' Lucky Santangelo series, so I'm now tempted to go back and read from the beginning.

Did you read the sequel to Giffin's Something Borrowed - Something Blue? I enjoyed it more than Something Borrowed, mainly because I had a moral issue with the protagonist's actions in 'Borrowed, whereas I fully loved Something Blue...

Other favorite authors in the genre include Jane Green, Johanna Edwards, Jen Lancaster (who I consider creative nonfiction, but wonderful). If you're of the school of thought that chick lit can be a beach read but involve more heavy/substantial topics, check out Jodi Piccoult and Dorothy Koomson whom I include in the category...

Last edited by bookwerm; 04-14-2010 at 12:33 PM.
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Sometimes books labeled "chick lit" are thought of as so much fluff - but imo any novel that is contemporary, fun and about women fits the chick lit category as well as other categories.
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I like Marian Keyes' novels. They're funny and the romance angle is usually tuned down somewhat (which I prefer) in favour of character development. Jennifer Weiner's "Good in bed" is good, too.
I read "Watermelon" a while back, and found it hilariously funny at times, though I think the romance aspect was a bit simplistic. But I have become less choosy about romance lately so maybe I should try another of her books.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Let me preface this by saying I'm a guy and I have never read any of the books/authors listed below.

I have looked for a few books for my girlfriend and have come across two female authors who look to be very funny.

Jen Lancaster
Laurie Notaro (check out here Idiot Girl books)
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Did you read Weiner's novel Certain Girls? It's supposedly a sequel to Good in Bed. I loved Good In Bed so much I bought Certain Girls when it came out... then realized I hadn't read GIB in at least 3 years, so would need to re-read it to catch up for CG. Yea, still trying to make time to do that...
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

I've enjoyed MaryJanice Davidson's Queen Betsy series. I read the first 5 and they made me laugh a lot. The main character is a total airhead, but somehow loveable, and her zany friends and family members are a hoot.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:03 AM   #11
J.L. Penn
Author

Bookwerm - I'ver read Giffin's Something Blue as well as the unrelated Love the One You're With, stopping short of Baby Proof b/c it got terrible reviews. Although I enjoyed all three Giffin books I read, Something Borrowed was the best by far IMO. I have to confess that while I definitely have conservative values, I don't hold my fiction to the same standards if it's done well enough, and I felt Giffin treated it masterfully.

I have Sophie Kinsella on my TBR list. Her books always come up alongside mine in recommendations on Amazon so I've really got to check them out. I've got Twenties Girl and Can You Keep A Secret? on my TBR list. I have to confess that I tried to read the first Shopaholic book awhile back and just couldn't get into it. I am planning to see the movie though at some point. Perhaps it has to do with being an American, not sure.

I just finished Katherine Center's Everyone Is Beautiful. I enjoyed it. It wasn't what I would call a page turner but I definitely found her witty style engaging.

-Jenn
Reunion
The Cinderella Curse
Old 04-16-2010, 02:53 AM   #12
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I read "Watermelon" a while back, and found it hilariously funny at times, though I think the romance aspect was a bit simplistic.
You don't say It felt rather tacked on, but the romance aspect doesn't interest me so much anyway, so it was fine with me. I think I read chick-lit for the humour, and I seem to prefer the British/Irish authors (not that I have read more than 2 or 3 chick-lit books in the last few years).
Quote:
But I have become less choosy about romance lately so maybe I should try another of her books.
Being choosy means you read good quality writing - nothing wrong with that
Old 04-16-2010, 02:57 AM   #13
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwerm View Post
Did you read Weiner's novel Certain Girls? It's supposedly a sequel to Good in Bed. I loved Good In Bed so much I bought Certain Girls when it came out... then realized I hadn't read GIB in at least 3 years, so would need to re-read it to catch up for CG. Yea, still trying to make time to do that...
I didn't like certain girls all that much. I can't remember the book, but it was just "meh" IMHO. "In her shoes" is better.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:58 AM   #14
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
I've enjoyed MaryJanice Davidson's Queen Betsy series. I read the first 5 and they made me laugh a lot. The main character is a total airhead, but somehow loveable, and her zany friends and family members are a hoot.
I'm going to try this one. The premise sounds so insane that I have to try it
Old 04-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #15
Reporter15
Author
Reporter15 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
A few books that come to mind are:

The Beach House, by Jane Porter
The Lost Recipe for Happiness, by Barbara O'Neal
Twenties Girl, by Sophie Kinsella

I'm sure I'd have a LOT more if I think about it, but I wanted to jump in here with a few suggestions of books that I've enjoyed <g>.

Lynn
Reporter15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beach read, chick lit, contemporary romance, favorites