Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
pepelugil
pepelugil began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Question Chapter marks lost epub -> azw3

Hello,

I’m doing my first conversions to azw3, and I’m very happy with new visual options added over mobi, but I miss (maybe due to my ignorance) the chapter marks I had in my Kindle 4’s progress bar (but if I go to the index, every chapter is there).

I think maybe it’s due to nested index in original epub that is converted differently if output is azw3 or mobi (old version).

In example, if I have some index similar to this:
• Part 1
• Chapter 1
• Chapter 2
• Chapter 3
• Part 2
• Chapter 1
• Part 3
• Chapter 1
• Chapter 2

My Kindle 4 will show the following chapter marks on the progress bar with the converted mobi:
• Part 1
• Chapter 1
• Chapter 2
• Chapter 3
• Part 2
• Chapter 1
• Part 3
• Chapter 1
• Chapter 2

But with the converted azw3, only these marks are shown:
• Part 1
• Part 2
• Part 3

Could anybody please tell what am I doing wrong and how should I correct it?

Thanks
pepelugil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
When converting to mobi calibre flattens the toc as mobi does not support hierarchical tocs (except in periodicals). When converting to azw3 the toc remains as is. Presumably the kindle doesn;t generate markers for toc items beyond the first level.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
For devices with the progress bar, it (used to, not sure if that changed on FW 3.4, but apparently not) only shows the dots in the progress bar for toplevel items like Kovid said, but it honors every level when using the 'go to next/prev chapter' key (5 way up/down).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
Hi, i've the same problem, only heading1 are shown in TOC in azw3. ¿It's not possible to change this?. In the conversion process add a header depth in conversion options to show in TOC headings up to level x. Now only heading1 is shown so if you put 3 headings 1 to 3 are shown in TOC.

I don't know the exactly format, i assume it's not a navpoint systema like in epub, but if h1 are shown because the TOC takes them from the sections, can the conversion transform headings up to level x to 1.

The real problem is that i now have to reedit the epub changing headings greater than 1 to 1 to be shown in the toc, it'll be great if this is done in the conversion process.

Thanks.
elchamaco is offline   Reply With Quote