Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
HTC Touch Phones to get Adobe Digital Editions

As spotted by Nate the great, from WM Experts: HTC gets in the e-Book Reader business with new Manila 2.5.
Quote:
The latest version of Manila/Sense 2.5 (2012) features a tab dedicated to reading e-Books that can be purchased by Boarders or, evidently, though Adobe.
The start screen includes "Contain Reader mobile technology by Adobe", and there is a screen to login to Borders or to activate an AdobeID, so this is a port of mobile Adobe Digital Editions to Windows Mobile. It will presumably only be available on HTC smartphones with Windows Mobile and HTC Sense (the leaked version is for the Touch Pro 2). On the other hand HTC has also added "Sense" to some of its Android phones, so perhaps there will be an Android version too. See Wikipedia: TouchFLO 3D.

Last edited by wallcraft; 02-13-2010 at 05:50 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Interesting
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Very! There's currently no ADE implementation available for mobile phones. I'd love to have such a thing. I don't understand the "purchased by Boarders" bit. though. Boarders of what?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
That'd be cool. I'm looking at HTC for my next phone, but that won't be til October. Gives me time to see what happens with this.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I've been looking at grabbing the HTC Droid from Verizon, so this should be very interesting. Kudos for finding it!
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
jackinca
Connoisseur
jackinca began at the beginning.

Device: sony 900
Anyone interested in HTC phones particularly with large screens should investigate the HTC HD 2 coming this Spring with expanded RAM and GSM 3G capabilities. The older versions might not be able to upgrade to Windows Mobile 7, have no 3G capability, and this one apparently will. According to all reports, it will have no competitors for large screen/resolution. It will be available through T-Mobile or direct purchase not tied to any telephone plan.
jackinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Boarders of what?
This should be Borders. Their strategy of not producing their own ebook reader may be paying off, see Borders CEO nixes idea of own e-reader.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinca View Post
Anyone interested in HTC phones particularly with large screens should investigate the HTC HD 2 coming this Spring...
I've presently got my eye on the HTC Touch Pro 2, planning to upgrade in mid-April. I'm especially looking forward to finding out which readers (and formats) I can use on the phone, to replace my WinOS PDA... I'm hoping to get ePub and Mobi on there, at least.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:45 PM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I've presently got my eye on the HTC Touch Pro 2, planning to upgrade in mid-April. I'm especially looking forward to finding out which readers (and formats) I can use on the phone, to replace my WinOS PDA... I'm hoping to get ePub and Mobi on there, at least.
I have the Touch Pro 2. If you want the keyboard, you can't go wrong with this one. And even though the specs are a little dated, the operation is surprisingly smooth and fast. You can use Freda for Epub and the Mobi reader. PDF is also no problem. If you don't need the keyboard, then the HD2 is the best choice.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #10
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
What, what? So those of us with other makes of WM phones are still being left out in the cold?

Ugh... now I really wish I had gotten the Touch Pro.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:46 AM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
What, what? So those of us with other makes of WM phones are still being left out in the cold?

Ugh... now I really wish I had gotten the Touch Pro.
Don't worry, that app will be available as a cab very soon after its release ,
I am sure of that. Actually I remember reading for a workaround not integrating it into Sense UI.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:17 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
So those of us with other makes of WM phones are still being left out in the cold?
This is a function of how Adobe licenses its Reader technology. In the old days, Adobe would have produced their own reader apps for WinMobile, Android, iPhone, etcetera. These would have been free and widely available, because Adobe makes money every time you buy and download an Adobe ebook. Under the new Adobe approach, vendors get to pay money to Adobe to develop their own Reader and then Adobe gets to make money from all the ebooks that are bought for that Reader. It is a wonderful business to have the monopoly on ePub DRM. This means that phone makers like HTC try to lock you in to one particular type of DRM and one particular store front, and mobile providers, like T-Mobile (with B&N Reader bundled with its HD2), try to lock you into another.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:29 AM   #13
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Of course for those who want to avoid the whole DRM thing, you can use Freda to read DRM-free epubs. Gutenberg, Feedbooks, Google Books and many other sites provide plenty of those.

And (though I am not sure how much detail it is appropriate to go to in this forum), it is technically a fairly straightforward matter to remove DRM-protection from an Adobe Digital Editions ebook, giving you an epub that can be read with any e-reader program. Google will lead you to more details here, particularly if you remember that Adobe's content-protection system is called ADEPT, but some people think it to be INEPT.

Jim
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hmmmmmmmm! Thanks.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... Boarders of what?
Snow

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote