Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Question A good idea ?

Someone on another Forum has asked if why a lot more languages aren't covered with built-in facilities.
I thought it a bit excessive to expect every language to be covered.

But then I might have had a good idea ?

If the reader has a card capability - Sony, etc - couldn't any dictionary - provided it's available in eform - be downloaded onto the card, and then accessed in that way ?

If it would work, surely it must have been thought of before ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The reader software has to be capable of supporting the dictionary. Kindle allows you to buy any dictionary you want that is formatted to be a default dictionary, and install it on your Kindle. I don't think Sony does. Don't know about Nook, etc.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
My Sony T1 comes with French to English, English to French; German to English, English to German; Spanish to English, English to Spanish; English to Italian, Italian to English; (please pardon my error) Netherland to English and English to Netherland (what is the correct way to say that?)

I don't know if any other dictionary could be loaded, never had the need.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Netherland to English and English to Netherland (what is the correct way to say that?)
It's quite a difficult one, because it isn't a straight translation - in English, you'd refer to the language as Dutch.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
The dictionary needed was Croatian or Serbian - if it's out there, why can't it simply be loaded on the card - or the reader, naturally, but the seperate card would act as a Language library as it were.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
It's quite a difficult one, because it isn't a straight translation - in English, you'd refer to the language as Dutch.
Thanks. I was reading the name of the dictionary off my Sony.

For some reason I can never remember to relate The Netherlands to Dutch. I even spent 4 years in Germany (military assignment)

Sorry if I offended anyone. Though it couldn't be as bad as when I referred to a person from Scotland as a Scotch.

AJ
Old 02-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Sorry if I offended anyone. Though it couldn't be as bad as when I referred to a person from Scotland as a Scotch.
. And you're still alive to tell the tale!
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The basic problem is that, unlike Mobipocket, the ePub file format does not define a dictionary format, so every reader manufacturer has to "reinvent the wheel". This is, IMHO, a serious flaw in ePub. With Mobipocket, on the other hand, dictionaries are defined by the file spec, hence you can buy a dictionary in the bookstore.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Thanks. I was reading the name of the dictionary off my Sony.

For some reason I can never remember to relate The Netherlands to Dutch. I even spent 4 years in Germany (military assignment)

AJ
Nancy Mitford said that Scotch was the u-term and Scot was non-u.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Nancy Mitford said that Scotch was the u-term and Scot was non-u.
Scotch is archaic, but still used in the US where there isn't much reference to to Scotland outside of Whiskeys and dogs.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Scotch is archaic, but still used in the US where there isn't much reference to to Scotland outside of Whiskeys and dogs.
Scotch Whisky is of course spelt without an "e", unlike Irish, which has the "e".

Scotch Whisky
Irish Whiskey
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Scotch Whisky is of course spelt without an "e", unlike Irish, which has the "e".
You're my new hero.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Someone on another Forum has asked if why a lot more languages aren't covered with built-in facilities.
I thought it a bit excessive to expect every language to be covered.

But then I might have had a good idea ?

If the reader has a card capability - Sony, etc - couldn't any dictionary - provided it's available in eform - be downloaded onto the card, and then accessed in that way ?

If it would work, surely it must have been thought of before ?

I think card capability is the least problem. You could do it with a download to the device itself, too. And you could combine this download with a forced registration that companies love so much.

One problem is that there are simply not that many dictionaries in digital form. The English language is covered very good but if you're searching for dictionaries between two other languages (like German <-> French) then you have great difficulties finding them.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The basic problem is that, unlike Mobipocket, the ePub file format does not define a dictionary format, so every reader manufacturer has to "reinvent the wheel". This is, IMHO, a serious flaw in ePub. With Mobipocket, on the other hand, dictionaries are defined by the file spec, hence you can buy a dictionary in the bookstore.
In theory you're right, in reality it comes down to one manufacturer-one dictionary with Mobipocket, too. Mobipocket dictionaries can only be used by devices that use the Mobipocket Reader as the basis of their reading program. And I don't know of any manufacturer who Amazon granted the right to implement the Mobipocket Reader in the last years (Bookeen and IRex and others were before). Your Bebook Neo is well able to read Mobipocket files but you can't use a Mobipocket dictionary with it, you have to use the device's dictionary. The same is true for the Pocketbook readers.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
. And you're still alive to tell the tale!

Actually he was very polite when he corrected me.