Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
detede
detede began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
captions and images together

Hi everyone,

Is there any way to prevent a caption and the image it goes with from sepparating in different pages in Ibooks (Ipad)?

I would like to keep together image and caption in the same page as far as possible (and avoid merging text and photo in one image).

Tnx!
detede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
This seems like a tough issue for ePubs- the author here: http://web.me.com/david.mundie/Linde..._for_iPad.html just ended up going with the JPEG idea.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
doesn't ibooks support page-break-after:avoid ?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
eclecticguy
eclecticguy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I just posted about this topic on the ePub topic.

I included my css and code snippet and am working on an iPad. It does not seem to work. I would appreciate someone trying the code on another device and report back. Perhaps my code is flawed. In any case, I'm giving it one last try before simply adding the captions to the images themselves.

cheers,
Michael
eclecticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
eclecticguy

Well, as unpalatable as the it seemed, simply including the caption in the figure works very well. The text is clear and resizes with the image in portrait or landscape orientation on the iPad. If a pure css solution comes along, I'll revert back but this works quite well.

regards,
Michael
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 04:27 AM   #6
detede

Yes, I've just tried the page-break-after:avoid and it works fine in ibooks.

Thank you!
Old 06-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
eclecticguy

Thanks detede,

Would you mind looking at what I did (in the thread linked to above) or share your code? I have not been able to get this to work. I've been coding css and html since the beginning of time so I am sure it some silly thing I have not taken in to account then.

cheers,
Michael
Old 06-11-2010, 02:37 AM   #8
detede

Hi Eclecticguy,

Actually I have been doing more tests in Ibooks and you are right: it doesn't work. It does (or seems to) in some cases, but depending on the size of your fonts in some cases it separates the image and the caption. So far I haven't found if there is some regularity in this behaviour (wheter it depends on how long is the caption, for instance). I'm going to try to find out and let you know...
Old 06-11-2010, 07:19 AM   #9
eclecticguy

Thanks detede. I concluded that adding the caption to the image is the easiest way.

regards,
Michael
Old 06-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Liz Castro has an update on this issue:
http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...r-yes-you.html

Complete with sample ePubs to try it yourself!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
eclecticguy

That is fantastic kjk, thanks! I left a thank you on Liz's site. This worked on my test file for both images and text. Now I have to reconvert all of the images I had embedded captions in to plain images. Shouldn't take too much time and there are other benefits like:

captions scale with text size
user selected background colors will look much better
user selected text colors will apply to the captions
I can prevent headers from breaking at the bottom of a page

good stuff!

Cheers,
Michael
Old 06-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #12
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Liz Castro has an update on this issue:
http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...r-yes-you.html

Complete with sample ePubs to try it yourself!
Excellent! Thank you for the link, this will help a lot.

Earlier today I finished and sent of to the author an iBook-ready ePub wherein I needed to do something about two images, each with captions, that were side-by-side. I ended up making it all one image. That solution works fine, but it takes more work and time than simply enclosing with a div.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captions, ibooks, images