Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #766
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Hey, Marvin fans... you might want to add your Marvin ratings and reviews on Goodreads to get the word out about it to more people.
http://www.goodreads.com/ereaders/438-marvin-for-ipad
Old 02-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #767
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Thanks Susan - just commented!
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #768
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs down

I'm the last one to criticize (not being a Goodreads user myself), but perhaps a separate (second) review might be more beneficial than just a comment on a review.

Meanwhile, I have resubmitted my 5-star review for Marvin, Version 1.2, but it doesn't show up in the atrocious App Store even after many days. (My previous 5-star review for Marvin 1.1 never showed up there.) Nor is my 5-star rating for Marvin taken into account. Instead, my own App Store shows a single 2-star rating, 0 user reviews.

Boooooh, Apple, shame on you.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #769
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Yeah...it probably would. I only saw the comment key...not the "review" button. I'm not familiar with goodreads either!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #770
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad2, iPhone 5, Kindle3 3G
Bottom line missing ...

Trying to open a very basic epub in Marvin, I found that it consistently cut off half of the lowest line. This stayed the same when I changed the font size and finally reset all the settings.
In Stanza, Bluefire and iBooks that didn't happen.

The book is a legal text that I formatted with Sigil. It has no CSS at all, so far I only marked the different levels of the headings (hierarchy is very important in the administration ).
Is this a problem of my inexpertly produced file or something Marvin does?

screenshot
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #771
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Hi Kretzer. Sorry about that. Is the text in the public domain? Could you sent me an email or a PM with the book?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #772
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Sure, my reading app has this cool sharing feature!

Yes, it is in the public domain, but it is officially only available as pdf and .doc
Old 02-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #773
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #774
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lightbulb

This issue came up during beta-testing, but in each successive Beta version, Kris reduced the issue, until apparently all the beta-testers' books were displaying correctly for us, so that it was reasonable to suppose that the issue was completely resolved. There can still be a "rogue" book or two, however, where the issue may unexpectedly rear its ugly head again, although as you say, Kretzer, there is no reason for this to be happening, based on the EPUB's code.

This is, in fact, no Marvin issue, but apparently an iOS (WebKit) bug -- sometimes, it can also be encountered (or intentionally reproduced) in Stanza, iBooks or other iOS e-readers. Only yesterday, I was posting to the Marvin betagroup two screenshots from Stanza on the iPhone, to illustrate the opposite of what you are reporting here: one and the same book (the same EPUB file) displays perfectly fine in Marvin for iPad, but in Stanza for iPhone, the same e-book has bottom lines cut off, both in Day Mode and Night Mode. Enjoy the two Stanza screenshots below. This is the first time in years I've seen this happening to such a critical degree in Stanza. The book is completely unreadable in Stanza on iPhone, so I had to switch to Apabi Reader for this particular book on the iPhone.

What happens is that the entire screen content is pushed downwards on the screen, resulting in a tall, empty top margin on the screen, and therefore not enough space left at the bottom of the screen for all lines that should be there. Just out of curiosity, Kretzer, have you tried adjusting paragraph spacing for this particular book? If so, does the issue go away, does it get worse, or does your preferred paragraph spacing make no difference?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stanza-cutoff_lines-Day_Mode.png
Views:	194
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	100951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stanza-cutoff_lines-Night_Mode.png
Views:	212
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	100952  
Old 02-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #775
Kretzer
out of depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Just out of curiosity, Kretzer, have you tried adjusting paragraph spacing for this particular book? If so, does the issue go away, does it get worse, or does your preferred paragraph spacing make no difference?
Now I tried with different paragraph spacing, and it always seams the same, also in landscape mode, but it never happens on all the pages.
It definitely looks better with smaller spacing, though ...

On a related note: If I don't want the headings to sit at the bottom of the page, can I set that in my file or is it the reader that has to handle this?
I am just starting to get into the formatting details, it's an interesting exercise.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #776
kguil
Addict

Hi Kertzer. The position of the headers depends on how they are in the ePub. When you have a moment, do send me a copy of the book at support[at]marvinapp.com. I'd like to squash that bug.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #777
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
I'm the last one to criticize (not being a Goodreads user myself), but perhaps a separate (second) review might be more beneficial than just a comment on a review.

Meanwhile, I have resubmitted my 5-star review for Marvin, Version 1.2, but it doesn't show up in the atrocious App Store even after many days. (My previous 5-star review for Marvin 1.1 never showed up there.) Nor is my 5-star rating for Marvin taken into account. Instead, my own App Store shows a single 2-star rating, 0 user reviews.

Boooooh, Apple, shame on you.
This *may* be because although people like you and I write reviews and rate things highly (I too rated 5, and wrote a review) others simply rate, and dont write. That way they can stay anonymous and not have to back up their low ratings. There are a lot of sociopaths in the world. The only solution is to get others to do it too.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #778
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kretzer View Post
If I don't want the headings to sit at the bottom of the page, can I set that in my file or is it the reader that has to handle this?
I don't use Sigil myself, but for example while creating an EPUB in Calibre, you can instruct it to insert a "screen break" before every heading. That way, you're guaranteed that a new chapter always begins on a new screen in Marvin and every other e-reader. You can instruct Calibre before which type of headings such a "screen break" should be inserted: only before big headings like <h1> and <h2>, or also before smaller headings of the <h3> and <h4> variety (which may not always look right).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
This *may* be because although people like you and I write reviews and rate things highly (I too rated 5, and wrote a review) others simply rate, and dont write. That way they can stay anonymous and not have to back up their low ratings.
OK, but that still doesn't explain why my own rating and review are never accepted by the App Store? Forgetting for a moment about Apple's imbecilic geographical isolation of App Stores for every country: because I submitted a 5-star rating for Marvin 1.2 to my App Store many days ago, Marvin's average rating should be 3.5 stars right now, yes? If that jerk gave Marvin 2 stars and I gave it 5 stars, that's 3.5 stars on average. Instead, my review and rating never show up, and Marvin's average rating in my micro-country's App Store is, therefore, 2 stars, based on a single troll's rating.

How Apple can be so monumentally stupid in running the App Store in this way, is beyond me. I just discussed this with a friend from my own country yesterday -- that Apple is a legendary company especially when it comes to hardware, but in terms of software, they have little to be proud of, in my opinion (disregarding ancient history): witness the plethora of awful default iOS apps, as well as the excruciating App Store.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #779
Kretzer
out of depth

Quote:
I don't use Sigil myself, but for example while creating an EPUB in Calibre, you can instruct it to insert a "screen break" before every heading. That way, you're guaranteed that a new chapter always begins on a new screen in Marvin and every other e-reader. You can instruct Calibre before which type of headings such a "screen break" should be inserted: only before big headings like <h1> and <h2>, or also before smaller headings of the <h3> and <h4> variety (which may not always look right).
Thanks. But I would not always want a screen break, only when the heading is low down on the screen, rather like some kind of orphan control. Ideally that would be adjusted to the level of the heading.

Quote:
OK, but that still doesn't explain why my own rating and review are never accepted by the App Store? Forgetting for a moment about Apple's imbecilic geographical isolation of App Stores for every country: because I submitted a 5-star rating for Marvin 1.2 to my App Store many days ago, Marvin's average rating should be 3.5 stars right now, yes? If that jerk gave Marvin 2 stars and I gave it 5 stars, that's 3.5 stars on average. Instead, my review and rating never show up, and Marvin's average rating in my micro-country's App Store is, therefore, 2 stars, based on a single troll's rating.
This is strange, in my small country store it always says: "not enough ratings to show average", but the reviews do show up. Sometimes the ratings show up anyway ... Maybe there was some technical issue and you need to try again?

The country isolation must be due to legal differences, but there is no reason to keep the ratings and reviews separate (other than maybe language).
At least it's interesting to compare different countries, sometimes the ratings are very different even between Austria and Germany. Did you know you can change the country tag in the links and always get to the same app? Like "at" to "de" here: https://itunes.apple.com/at/app/marvin-ebooks-+-intelligence/id577374971?mt=8 ? That's the quickest way to look over the fence, but I don't think it works for all countries.

Re "trolls" and "jerks": I think people are entitled to freely express their opinion, even if it differs from ours, and even if indeed many reviews are stupid.

Last edited by Kretzer; 02-09-2013 at 05:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-09-2013, 05:25 AM   #780
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Alex, the most likely explanation is that your review somehow violated their guidelines. If you swore ("the fucking greatest app!"), added a link (even a "disguised" one; e. g. marvinapp.com/whatsnew) or something like that, your review will simply be rejected without any notice.

Suggestion: Here's my review from the German AppStore, try submitting that:

Quote:
An amazingly well-done ebook reader with some unique features, e. g. DeepView which lets you analyse an ebook.
The developer is very responsive and picks up user suggestion eagerly, publishes them on his roadmap and implements them very, very quickly.
Now that 1.2 is out, Marvin undoubtedly is the most viable Stanza replacement on the iPad.
Once the iPhone version comes out (the dev is working on it), it's going to blow every other ebook reader out of the water.

I've helped testing Marvin 1.2 (for free, of course, and I'm not in any way related to its developer) and it was the best experience I've ever had working with an iOS dev.

So, the app is fantastic, its author a great guy and Marvin is free for the time being - if you have an iPad, go get it NOW! :-)
Closed Thread