yep 43 66.15%
nope 8 12.31%
who? 5 7.69%
option 4 9 13.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Lee Child

This guy is a great author... the first book of his that i read was 'persuader,' and it hooked me from the start. i've read all his books, and his jack reacher character is one of the best in hard-boiled fiction.

anyone else agree/disagree? i'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
In case anyone missed it...

There is a new short story out, Deep Down.
A new book is being released Sept. 11, A Wanted Man.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I agree, fun reads. I enjoyed most of the Reacher novels but Lee goes overboard making him such an uber-man. It takes away from my sense of immersion at times. And his weapons-play isn't always accurate e.g. - shotgun has HOW much spread at that range? Not even with square shot, lol. I still like the character.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Don0801
Don0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle 3 wi-fi
Oh yeah. I wonder what it would be like if the first book of his I read wasn't "61 Hours." The not-so-typical explosion and "to be continued" cliffhanger ... It's difficult not to get hooked.
Don0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-boiled pat View Post
anyone else agree/disagree? i'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
Reacher said nothing.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
And his weapons-play isn't always accurate e.g. - shotgun has HOW much spread at that range? Not even with square shot, lol. I still like the character.
Same here. My wife turned me on to the Reacher books because she heard that the weapons and tactics were so detailed and accurate.

I admire that even when Child is wrong, Reacher says it with such earnest confidence and authority that I'm willing to suspend disbelief. In Reacher's universe, I'm convinced he's absolutely correct in all cases. Even when he says he prefers to headbutt people because he doesn't want to hurt his hands....

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Jack Reacher novels? Yes. Lots of action. Great characters. But so many short sentences. Can't stand 'em. Drives me crazy. Option 2.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
In case anyone missed it...

There is a new short story out, Deep Down.
A new book is being released Sept. 11, A Wanted Man.
yeah its out aug 30 in the UK... its a continuation of the previous two books not including The Affair.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I agree, fun reads. I enjoyed most of the Reacher novels but Lee goes overboard making him such an uber-man. It takes away from my sense of immersion at times. And his weapons-play isn't always accurate e.g. - shotgun has HOW much spread at that range? Not even with square shot, lol. I still like the character.
"You think i'm scared? Look at me... there's maybe six guys in the whole world that i'm scared of."
Old 08-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0801 View Post
Oh yeah. I wonder what it would be like if the first book of his I read wasn't "61 Hours." The not-so-typical explosion and "to be continued" cliffhanger ... It's difficult not to get hooked.
theyre all pretty good.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
Reacher said nothing.
a great line that he uses all the time.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #12
victauria
Grand Sorcerer
victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
Reacher said nothing.
victauria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Option 4 - heard of the author but never read any of the books.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
My wife turned me on
This is a public forum. Get a room.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Option 4, baby! all the way!

You didn't have my option, which is "he's an OK read, I don't feel ashamed I finished his book, but I'm not filled with a sense of accomplishment and pride either."
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote