Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
spl0it
spl0it began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Merged developer.keystore deleted after internet connection

As in the title, every time I connect to the Internet my developer.keystore file is removed.
What I'm wondering is how I can prevent it?
I've tried moving /etc/uks folder, what was supposed to disable automatic updates, no success.
Thanks in advance.
spl0it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I read about this in another thread... apologies I can lay my hands on it now but it's not the first time I heard it -I thought I would at least bring that to your attention

Worth having a dig around for similar threads perhaps; if you have a moment.
I will do the same see if I can dredge it

EDIT: NOPE Can't lay my hands on it.

Last edited by twobob; 07-18-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: nopey I cant
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Is your kindle registered? Try chmodding the keystore to read only
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I read about this in another thread... apologies I can lay my hands on it now but it's not the first time I heard it -I thought I would at least bring that to your attention

Worth having a dig around for similar threads perhaps; if you have a moment.
I will do the same see if I can dredge it

EDIT: NOPE Can't lay my hands on it.
I remember seeing this reported here before too. Searching... I just found it here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2138938

It seems that the previous report of this problem from 12 days ago was by somebody with the same member name as the OP here. Self-corroboration can lead to positive feedback loops, and a false sense of (hidden) supporting evidence.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-18-2012 at 09:54 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Ah bummer. Yeah what GM said. nice find by the way GM

Quote:
Now it seems to that every time i connect to the interet (through wifi, I've got no 3G) the developer.keystore is deleted.
Probably removing autoupdating feature would help, as it's clearly the fault.
I am intrigued though - you say you have no 3g? only wifi?

:Confuzzled: even unregged I had 3g. perhaps that is a uk thing?

Last edited by twobob; 07-18-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: added old quote for clarity
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And somebody made a "guess" back on June 24 that "maybe" this "might" happen with the new firmware (like they do by deleting dropbear files needed for SSH):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2126450
Old 07-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
geekmaster

It would be possible to have a cron job or a background script that periodically checks for a missing developer keystore and restores a backup copy whenever it goes missing. It could also restore missing dropbear SSH files too.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
spl0it

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
Is your kindle registered? Try chmodding the keystore to read only
My Kindle 3 wifi is unregistered, and I have no 3G connectivity.
I tried chmodding and chowning without any luck.

I searched for a while but decided to start a topic, because I was unable to solve it.

@GM
When developer.keystore gets deleted I need to restart after I place it back, so a simple cronjob would be little help.

Btw. I'm from Poland, as it may be a clue (for understanding my not always proper language).

Last edited by spl0it; 07-19-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spl0it View Post
My Kindle 3 wifi is unregistered, and I have no 3G connectivity.
I tried chmodding and chowning without any luck.

I searched for a while but decided to start a topic, because I was unable to solve it.

@GM
When developer.keystore gets deleted I need to restart after I place it back, so a simple cronjob would be little help.

Btw. I'm from Poland, as it may be a clue (for understanding my not always proper language).
Why do you need to restart? Restoring the developer keystore should not require restarting. Perhaps the REAL problem is something else, and the missing developer keystore is just a side-effect of the other problem.

There appear to be no other reports than your own describing a problem like this.

You could try restoring original unhacked firmware and zeroing mmcblk0p3, using "simple debricking" instructions. That should get your kindle back to "factory fresh" (which is known to NOT have this problem).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-19-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You could try restoring original unhacked firmware and zeroing mmsblk0p3, using "simple debricking" instructions. That should get your kindle back to "factory fresh" (which is known to NOT have this problem).
Oh man, is my crystal ball working great this morning - -
Your left index finger was busy doing something else (I can guess at what) when you typed mmsblk0p3 rather than mmcblk0p3.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Oh man, is my crystal ball working great this morning - -
Your left index finger was busy doing something else (I can guess at what) when you typed mmsblk0p3 rather than mmcblk0p3.
My fingers OFTEN disobey my commands while typing these days. The last half year has been brutal. Most of my life I was a very fast and accurate typist. Getting old sucks. Sadly, MOST of my typing errors get through spell checkers just fine because my fingers decide to type a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT (correctly spelled) word than I told them too. I have noticed that they often refuse to type the letter "r" (choosing to just leave if off the end of a word more often than not). One of their favorite pranks is to change the word "word" to "work" or the word "than" to "that" (even in this sentence, where I had to go back and fix it, twice). And sadly, proofreading does not work until much later. My fingers seem to have a conspiracy with my eyes, making me see the "correct" words even when they are NOT correct. I have to go back and proofread again later (when my fingers are not paying attention). My body and mind do not get along with each other as well as they once did. I think that is a sign of getting old.

I fixed it in my previous post. Thanks for spotting it for me, or I may not have seen it for hours (if lucky) or days, or perhaps even weeks. I am often shocked at the typing errors in even my very old posts (which I correct when I find them).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-19-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
My fingers OFTEN disobey my commands while typing these days. The last half year has been brutal. Most of my life I was a very fast and accurate typist. Getting old sucks. Sadly, MOST of my typing errors get through spell checkers just fine because my fingers decide to type a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT (correctly spelled) word than I told them too. I have noticed that they often refuse to type the letter "r" (choosing to just leave if off the end of a word more often than not). One of their favorite pranks is to change the word "word" to "work" or the word "than" to "that" (even in this sentence, where I had to go back and fix it, twice). And sadly, proofreading does not work until much later. My fingers seem to have a conspiracy with my eyes, making me see the "correct" words even when they are NOT correct. I have to go back and proofread again later (when my fingers are not paying attention). My body and mind do not get along with each other as well as they once did. I think that is a sign of getting old.
Not that complicated, I thought that the 'c' finger was busy making a gesture at the forum post.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
spl0it

Quote:
You could try restoring original unhacked firmware and zeroing mmcblk0p3, using "simple debricking" instructions. That should get your kindle back to "factory fresh" (which is known to NOT have this problem).
Thank you for your advice, but I am not planning on taking such a serious step just now.

The problem in fact seems to go a little deeper than simple file removal; probably when I connect some 'function' is also called to update the keystore.
It could be helpful in developing a script to automatically restore it, the question is weather it would be repeatedly removed by the updater or not

However, as I'm a little lazy I'd prefer to remove automatic updates for good.

Last edited by spl0it; 07-19-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #14
spl0it

Ah, stupid me.
I forgot to mention an important thing, it's not just that the file is removed, there also appears a note from Amazon with something about my test kindle installation.
When I'll have time and mood for seriously digging into it (and maybe GM's video) I'll surely post my progress.

Thanks for yours attention, gentleman.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by spl0it View Post
there also appears a note from Amazon with something about my test kindle installation.
This also happened to me only once when I deregistered and registered again. It seems that amazon clears the keystores on every deregistration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-07-08T11_49_15-0000.gif
Views:	320
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	89381
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote