Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
VanillaEps
Enthusiast
VanillaEps began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
First Impressions: New to E-Readers

I first came upon the idea of ebook readers a few weeks ago. I was doing some on-line shopping on Amazon and stumbled upon an ad for the Kindle. I started reading about its capabilities and absolutely fell in-love with it. However, problems arose surrounding its availability and its price. I couldn't see myself paying $400 for a 1st generation ebook reader.

After doing some research on alternatives, I chose the 505. I able to hold it in my hand at a local Sony Style and the 505 answered all of my needs. Looks, functions, and display. Unfortunately, the lack of Mac support is disappointing, but I am able to load it as a disk drive and use the software found on this forum to load books and manage my library. I use a Windows based laptop at work and will load the library software on that to register the device and take advantage of the 100 free classics from the Sony Store.

So far I love the device and am impressed by its screen and display - especially pictures. I'm going to make great use of this device on trips, commutes to and from work, and at home.

Question - where do I start in terms of ebook sites and books that I can purchase/convert to Sony's format? Do I look for Microsoft Reader formats? Is that the format that is most easily converted to Sony's format? I love the ebook library found on this site. Are there any others?
VanillaEps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
For public domain books and creative commons books, you can try Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com

Take a look at Fictionwise for books in Sony reader format, yet without any DRM: http://www.fictionwise.com
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
VanillaEps
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
For public domain books and creative commons books, you can try Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com

Take a look at Fictionwise for books in Sony reader format, yet without any DRM: http://www.fictionwise.com
Checked out Feedbooks. Thanks for the site. When I click on a book and request to download in Sony Reader format, its downloading as a pdf. Is that right?
Old 12-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
Checked out Feedbooks. Thanks for the site. When I click on a book and request to download in Sony Reader format, its downloading as a pdf. Is that right?
Yep, it's a PDF formatted for the Reader, not a A4 PDF.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Check out the thread below for some other sources of books.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11052

(Probably all of the Classic books will be available from one of the sources in the thread above.)

I can recommend www.manybooks.net for Sony formatted PD books and Baen Books for non-DRM copyrighted SF works that are easy to format for the Reader (HTML and/or RTF format).

Welcome aboard!

Bob

Last edited by BobVA; 12-24-2007 at 04:35 PM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
VanillaEps
Enthusiast

Wow, thanks a lot for that link. I was able to find a lot of my favorite books online. In terms of conversions, what program would most of you suggest for a Macbook Pro? I downloaded libprs for my 505. That seems to be doing the job in terms of syncronization and conversions from pdf to sony ebook format.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
SilkPagoda.com. $10 for a DVD with 10,000+ books in Sony lrf format (no conversion needed!). Free shipping too. Best $10 you'll spend for your Reader.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
VanillaEps
Enthusiast

I thought I would reply once more and give additional feedback on the device after having owned and used it the past couple of weeks.

I was a little apprehensive at first about how I would transition from holding a book and flipping pages to reading a book from an electronic device. Well, the transition was very smooth. The device is very easy to hold, even with the cover that it comes with. I love the e-ink technology. It really looks exactly like a book or newspaper. Flipping/turning pages is a breeze and I hardly ever notice the half a second where the images flip.

The downside are the books. A lot of the books that I am interested in are not made available in e-book format yet. Its rather disappointing and unfortunate. In the meantime, I need to catch up on a few classics and make the most out of the 100 free classics from the Sony Connect Library.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
If you're considering the classics, don't forget to take a look at the files available right here on this site (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php).
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:42 AM   #10
rogerk
rogerk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 Reader
Go to www.manybooks.net and download ebooks to RTF and ten resize to 20pt and then save. You can delete the blerb at the front if you want just the book.
rogerk is offline   Reply With Quote