Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 05:25 AM   #31
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
If you click through on the Sony.co.uk site it says
Reader eBook For £120.00
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:26 AM   #32
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK Now it says £159.97, easy come, easy go
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm obviously doing something wrong; I still can't see a price. Can you tell me what you're doing to see it? The only product I see with a price is a PRS-300 at £159.97.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/rd-reader-ebook
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:35 AM   #34
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
It is available for pre-order on Sony Sweden's website the price is 1550 SEK ( =165 euro) which is an *excellent price*. ( They also have PRS 650 w cover for 2700 SEK ( 260 euro))

Thank you Sony for giving me an idea for a Christmas Gift

Last edited by mikaelalind; 09-01-2011 at 05:40 AM.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:31 AM   #35
MikeB1972
Gnu

Harry

I think it's a work in progress
If you go from here http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/ebook-reader
And click on the reader it just shows a price (but from the link you provided I'm guessing it's actually the price for the 300)
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 06:41 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks, Mike. Yes, I think it is still a work in progress!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #37
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
It's Harry Potter. Given all the fans who'll shell out money just because it's a Harry Potter collectible despite the fact they'll never actually use the device or read the ebooks, I would hope Sony would be smart enough to capitalize on that and create a really special looking reader.
Oh I agree completely! I'm one of those types. LOL I follow the Potter Podcasts & sites & such. I know there's money there that's for sure. I'm just not sure that they'd (Sony) invest in it. My fingers are crossed. I'd hate to make the leap buying it right away and then have them release the special Potter reader for Christmas.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #38
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Everybody is eventually going to get rid of page turn buttons that are in an ergonomic spot to be operated by either thumb, aren't they? Aren't they!?

Another small piece of me has died.
Don't despair.
The ergonomics war isn't lost.
Nook and Kindle still have dedicated page turn controls, and several generic Android tablet vendors are *adding* them.
Promo hype aside, well over 80% of ebook readers being *purchased* have dedicated paging controls on the side.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #39
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
details, see
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/articl...htest_e-reader
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #40
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Well, MSNBC is not impressed with the overall new electronic line up from Sony.

http://gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/_news...-to-mediocrity

"E-readers: For the company that basically created the category of e-ink e-book reader, Sony has really lacked a competitive edge. With the newly announced Reader Wi-Fi, it's got something that hits the sweet spot of consumer demand — 6-inch e-ink touchscreen, Wi-Fi-only networking.

Still, it is coming in with a price tag that's $10 higher than the bestselling Amazon Kindle and Barnes & Noble Nook. There is a wee bit of hope for Sony, though: It has partnered with J.K. Rowling's Pottermore e-book service, and will let Reader buyers download the first installment of the Harry Potter series for free "when it becomes available." At least you know where that extra $10 goes."

If it is true that you get the HP books free when they are released, I might pick up a Sony since it will probably cost as much as buying the books. I can see JKR charging $20 a pop for the e-books. Then I would have a back up e-reader to my Kindles.

Why do I need a back up e-reader? I have three Kindles?

OK, nevermind, I'll just buy the silly books.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #41
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
If it is true that you get the HP books free when they are released, I might pick up a Sony since it will probably cost as much as buying the books. I can see JKR charging $20 a pop for the e-books. Then I would have a back up e-reader to my Kindles.
I can't. $20 a pop would be pure greed. If it's really true that she more-or-less has control over what happens with the digital distribution of the Potter books I can't see them being over $10. JKR doesn't strike me as a greedy person. A lot of the money generated from these digital sales won't go to her anyway - it'll be going to various charities. Smaller price point = more sales, surely? After the initial cost of readying the books for the plethora of formats early indications suggest they'll be available in, distribution costs I'd assume are very low.

I'm not a US citizen, so I don't know how much the hardback and paperback copies of the series fetch, but I can say that you can pick up any title in the set for less than £5 on Amazon in the UK, and the publisher Bloomsbury AFAIK doesn't charge much more to order from them direct. The RRP is a little higher, but you'll only pay that in dedicated bookstores (where they are usually found on 3 for 2 anyway).
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #42
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
A lot of the money generated from these digital sales won't go to her anyway - it'll be going to various charities. Smaller price point = more sales, surely? After the initial cost of readying the books for the plethora of formats early indications suggest they'll be available in, distribution costs I'd assume are very low.
If it's a charity dinner, it usually costs more, not less. It could be the same for the books.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #43
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hope that you are right but I have seen some pretty silly things here.

The Harry Potter box set in paper back costs $50. It costs $115 for the hardback set.

The paperbacks vary from $7 to $10.

I have rounded up the cents to the nearest dollar because I am lazy.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #44
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
I can't. $20 a pop would be pure greed. If it's really true that she more-or-less has control over what happens with the digital distribution of the Potter books I can't see them being over $10. JKR doesn't strike me as a greedy person. A lot of the money generated from these digital sales won't go to her anyway - it'll be going to various charities. Smaller price point = more sales, surely? After the initial cost of readying the books for the plethora of formats early indications suggest they'll be available in, distribution costs I'd assume are very low.

I'm not a US citizen, so I don't know how much the hardback and paperback copies of the series fetch, but I can say that you can pick up any title in the set for less than £5 on Amazon in the UK, and the publisher Bloomsbury AFAIK doesn't charge much more to order from them direct. The RRP is a little higher, but you'll only pay that in dedicated bookstores (where they are usually found on 3 for 2 anyway).
That's why I can't see them costing less than $15 each. If there are complaints, the ready response will be "...but it's for charity." I would be very surprised if they are as cheap as $10 each.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #45
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Reading the PC World piece it seems like only the first book will be free. So no Sony for me.