Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #121
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
OK, glad you clarified as I've jailbroken my 2G touch. Iget what you are saying, because I am thinking of switching from Sony reader to Kindle but I have alot of .lrx protected books, including a few I havent read.
It must really get annoying for all you Kindle/Sony users when everything you've purchased is wrapped in annoying DRM schemes. Just from reading this thread there's a bubbling of discontent beneath the surface about being locked down and restricted. I don't know how you put up with it
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #122
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
It must really get annoying for all you Kindle/Sony users when everything you've purchased is wrapped in annoying DRM schemes. Just from reading this thread there's a bubbling of discontent beneath the surface about being locked down and restricted. I don't know how you put up with it
It does bother me slightly as I'm thinking of picking up an ereader sometime (need price drop or a deal)--but the convenience and fact I almost never read anything twice makes me not worry about the DRM much.

I just want something I can get the stuff I want to read as easily as possible. So I'll probably eventually get a Kindle for the wireless access and the selection in their store.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #123
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Heh yea it is somewhat irritating, that's why for most of my books I choose .lit. And I would love to be able to crack .lrx
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #124
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
I'm ideologically quite opposed to DRM but I'm a pragmatist and don't think it's going away any time soon. I hope that sanity will prevail eventually. In the meantime, I happily strip the DRM off of any book I can and feel quite free to get books from places other than Amazon. They do make it wonderfully convenient. I'll give them that.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #125
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS, former Kindle owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Edit: Re-reading your post I think I mis-interpreted what you wrote. I was think you continued to purchase Kindle books after you sold your Kindle and before the new Amazon app was released. What I see now is that, since the app has become available you have access to the Kindle books you previously purchased and may now purchase new Kindle books.

That is exactly correct. I did de-register my Kindle before selling it and I presume the new owner has registered it since it's been several months now. I just started buying Kindle books again today after I downloaded the app to my iPhone and logged into my Amazon account from it.
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #126
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgirl View Post
That is exactly correct. I did de-register my Kindle before selling it and I presume the new owner has registered it since it's been several months now. I just started buying Kindle books again today after I downloaded the app to my iPhone and logged into my Amazon account from it.
So, can you buy/dl kindle books to your PC if you have Kindle books in your account but no Kindle... only the iPhone Kindle app?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #127
mbp
mbp doesn't littermbp doesn't litter

Device: none
PID for iphone

I was playing around with this at work this afternoon. I'm in Europe so I used the voucher method to buy a book and download it onto my iphone.

post content modified on Amazon's request

Is it ok to post a modified kindlepid.py script here? I believe the change was something like:

post content modified on Amazon's request

Last edited by mtravellerh; 03-12-2009 at 07:03 AM.
mbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #128
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
something like? You're not sure that's the actual change?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #129
mbp
mbp doesn't littermbp doesn't litter

Device: none
I'm very sure that was the actual change. I was playing with this at work - now I'm at home. It's 00:50 here and I don't have the energy to reproduce now. If no-one verifies it before I get to work tomorrow I'll double-check it then and post an update.
mbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #130
zentype
Space Cowboy
zentype began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
But isn't it true that when you d/l applications to a jailbroken phone via Cydia (I think that's the name) you get them without paying? Isn't that one of the main reasons to jailbreak?
Had to chime in for those who don't know all the benefits on jailbreaking. And this isn't directed towards you specifically but those who may not really understand the benefits.

First Cydia actually has a few pay for applications (MySMS and Snapture are two excellent apps worth buying) There are quite a few free applications that I can't live without (categories, quickgold) but there aren't "pirated apps" on Cydia if that's what you mean.

And volrath pretty much has the best answer. Jailbreaking (or really just running custom firmware) allows you to use your iphone as a real computer. You can access the file system and install what you want.

Just imagine if you bought a computer and the manufacturer decided what you could and could not install on it. And you'll understand the biggest benefit to running custom firmware...

I couldn't go back to a stock phone. And the funny thing is I know some Apple employees who run custom firmware on their iphones too...

And it's easy enough to revert to stock if you ever wanted to; there really isn't a disadvantage to it.. provided you know what you're doing.
zentype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #131
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS, former Kindle owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So, can you buy/dl kindle books to your PC if you have Kindle books in your account but no Kindle... only the iPhone Kindle app?

BOb
Hmmm, I'm not sure. I looked in the "Manage Your Kindle" section of my Amazon account and the book I just bought today (no Kindle, only the iPhone Kindle app) has the menu option to download to my computer but I get an error when I try. I have a Mac, so I'm not sure if that's the problem or not...
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #132
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Man, I hope they come out with a Windows Mobile version too. iPhone is great, but I use a Windows Mobile phone, and I'm not interested in getting an iPhone unless they come out with a version that has a keyboard, dangit.

If they do come out with a Windows Mobile version, I'll be ecstatic. But this is a very positive step, I'd say...
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #133
zentype
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Hmmm, I'm not sure. I looked in the "Manage Your Kindle" section of my Amazon account and the book I just bought today (no Kindle, only the iPhone Kindle app) has the menu option to download to my computer but I get an error when I try. I have a Mac, so I'm not sure if that's the problem or not...
hmm.. are you getting to the point where it asks you which device to download to (and the blurb about "you will need to send this device via USB after you download") or it is erroring out before you get that prompt?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #134
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I tried the same thing on a PC and get:

Quote:
We're sorry, this title is not currently available for download.

We are investigating the difficulty with this title and ask that you try again in 24 hours. If after that time you are still unable to access this title, please contact us for further assistance. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com!
I'm hoping that error message is genuine but I don't expect it to be.

By the way, do I understand correctly that there is no way (yet) to deDRM a topaz Kindle book (even if you have your PID)? If so, is there anyway to tell before you purchase a book whether it will be topaz?
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #135
zentype
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
Man, I hope they come out with a Windows Mobile version too. iPhone is great, but I use a Windows Mobile phone, and I'm not interested in getting an iPhone unless they come out with a version that has a keyboard, dangit.

If they do come out with a Windows Mobile version, I'll be ecstatic. But this is a very positive step, I'd say...
I feel for you. I was deeply entrenched in WM (about 7 devices' history worth) and was worried about whether the apps I loved from WM would ever be making it over. As of now, most applications have surpassed the WM versions... and the only two I'm waiting on (Pocket Informat and List Pro) are in the works... And the App store hasn't even been out a quarter as long as WM vendors like Handango, Pocketgear, etc... And for power users, I can VPN into my network and access both mac and windows servers on the iphone easier than I ever could with WM... And I can tether my laptop as well, without bluetooth or a cable... So basically there is very little WM could do that the iphone can't..

And of course now, I can sync reading with my Kindle... how awesome is that (sorry, not trying to rub it in.)

If it helps, there are a few apps that allow typing in landscape (MySMS from Cydia for texting in landscape) and EasyWriter (Appstore for landscape emails)... At first I really didn't like the keyboard, but I've gotten so used to it I don't mind it much at all now... And it's more durable than a slide out keyboard.. So that's an advantage... Ultimately, the trade off was worth it.... by far.

Last edited by zentype; 03-04-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle