Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-14-2014, 04:18 AM   #1
ChaJudLeoBit
ChaJudLeoBit began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Amazon Samples

I have noticed that some samples on Amazon's preview show the separate pages. Others run everything together.

These two for example:

http://www.amazon.com/Dancing-With-S...cing+with+Siva

And this one where the pages aren't separated: http://www.amazon.com/299-Days-Prepa...99+days+series

Can anyone tell me what code to use that makes this separation? And where to put it. Please??

Thanks!

Catherine
ChaJudLeoBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the "Kindle Formats" section.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:12 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaJudLeoBit View Post
That's a paper book, with real pages.

Quote:
And this one where the pages aren't separated: http://www.amazon.com/299-Days-Prepa...99+days+series
That's an ebook, where there are no pages.

Is this a trick question or am I missing something?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't know what you mean. Both books look fine to me. Both have paragraphs like you would expect. I used the Look Inside feature to check on them.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:16 AM   #5
ChaJudLeoBit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
That's a paper book, with real pages.

That's an ebook, where there are no pages.

Is this a trick question or am I missing something?
Perhaps I picked the wrong samples.

Looking in the eBook section, some ebooks run together as one long sample. But other ebooks show separation. So that the copyright page is separate from the TOC, the chapters start on a new page. Actual pages.

I never liked that some books run everything together and was wondering if there was something I could add to the coding to separate each page.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
Lagopus
Lagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with others

Device: kindle gen3
I'm not sure what you mean with "run together" versus "separate each page" - do you mean that you want clear, pre-defined page breaks throughout the book?

You can add specific page break in (at least) two ways:
- with the css property "page-break-before: always;" or "page-break-after:always;"
- with the custom html tag <mbpagebreak>

But use that sparingly - use forced page breaks for example at the start of new chapters, not in the middle of running text. Different devices have different screen sizes, and text size, margins, and line spacing varies too. As a book designer you can't know how much text fits on one screen when a reader reads the book on her device.
Lagopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:26 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaJudLeoBit View Post
Perhaps I picked the wrong samples.

Looking in the eBook section, some ebooks run together as one long sample. But other ebooks show separation. So that the copyright page is separate from the TOC, the chapters start on a new page. Actual pages.

I never liked that some books run everything together and was wondering if there was something I could add to the coding to separate each page.
No, you're conflating the ebook LITB and the print book LITB. Even commercially made books "look" somewhat like they run together; there's no visible page-break, or "edge of paper" break like there is in the print book LITB.

In our ebooks, the chapters DO start on a new screen--but even in ours, in the LITB, there's only a relatively small amount of vertical whitespace separating the end of Chapter 1 from the beginning of Chapter 2, etc. Amazon's CSS for the LITB overrides much of what you do in the MOBI itself e.g., suppresses any fonts).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:14 AM   #8
ChaJudLeoBit

OK. I think I get what you are saying.
THanks for the answers.

Tags
amazon, coding, sigil