Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #16
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryrsng View Post
Yes, thank you for the error correct! I have since corrected the link in my original post. Many thanks and apologies.
Welcome and no need for apologies.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:47 AM   #17
SteveDuck
SteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook STR
I made my own with coroplast (corrugated plastic as used for cheap outdoor signs). Took a sheet ~2" wider than the nook & 2x length + a few extra inches. Folded it in 1/2 & secured with 2 zip-ties. I cover my nook with a small microfiber towel, then slip it into the "envelope" & slip everything into a ziplock freezer bag.

This has been sufficient to protect my STR from the daily abuse of getting bounced around in my fully loaded backpack which I transport in a bike trailer for 3-4 miles before hiking down to my favorite tropical beaches in the rainy season.

Its not particularly fashionable, but does the job better than anything on the market.

Coroplast can be obtained cheap from sign companies...or free along the roadside
SteveDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:01 AM   #18
asmltl
asmltl began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK Touch
tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDuck View Post
I made my own with coroplast (corrugated plastic as used for cheap outdoor signs). Took a sheet ~2" wider than the nook & 2x length + a few extra inches. Folded it in 1/2 & secured with 2 zip-ties. I cover my nook with a small microfiber towel, then slip it into the "envelope" & slip everything into a ziplock freezer bag.

This has been sufficient to protect my STR from the daily abuse of getting bounced around in my fully loaded backpack which I transport in a bike trailer for 3-4 miles before hiking down to my favorite tropical beaches in the rainy season.

Its not particularly fashionable, but does the job better than anything on the market.

Coroplast can be obtained cheap from sign companies...or free along the roadside
can you post some tutorials with few pictures or videos,,, i am also thinking of making my own case,,and could use a bit of help
asmltl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:50 AM   #19
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
I picked up a Speck Fitfolio today at Target and I absolutely LOVE it. Its sleek and not bulky so its just barely bigger than the device.. It secures the STR at all four anchors so its held in place very well. The cover is secured with a small elastic strap to keep the cover closed and when you fold back the cover completely (around the back) it can be secured with the elastic strap as well.

mercuryrsng thanks for passing this information along!
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #20
kevn57
Connoisseur
kevn57 began at the beginning.

Device: Moonreader+
Here's a couple of links to homemade Nintendo DS cases, I made one for my DS years ago and did the same thing for my NST.

http://tinycartridge.com/post/517836...other-homemade

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...tendo-DS-case/

I used bubble wrap, colored duct tape and some decorative stickers, it's lasted for years and is also very light. I also think that it affords more protection then the knitted one even though it doesn't look as cool.
kevn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #21
mercuryrsng
mercuryrsng began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
I picked up a Speck Fitfolio today at Target and I absolutely LOVE it. Its sleek and not bulky so its just barely bigger than the device.. It secures the STR at all four anchors so its held in place very well. The cover is secured with a small elastic strap to keep the cover closed and when you fold back the cover completely (around the back) it can be secured with the elastic strap as well.

mercuryrsng thanks for passing this information along!

You're welcome!
mercuryrsng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #22
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Personally I think Nook Touch itself is made in such a way that I have hard time seeing its screen cracked by a fall. The screen is recessed a bit and when it falls or hits most surfaces the screen would never be touched.
Me and my big mouth I usually read before I go to sleep so nook is usually beside me when I fall asleep. I don't know I rolled on it in my sleep or what in the morning I had a cracked screen now only 1/3 of the screen works
I won't be able to get a replacement as its a ebay purchase and I live outside the US.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #23
Tinderbox (UK)
Connoisseur
Tinderbox (UK) began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle DXG
Has anybody tried the Aluminium hard case with stand on ebay?

I prefer to use the touch naked and just use the hard case just for storage.

John.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Alumin...67408927413169
Tinderbox (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #24
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Me and my big mouth I usually read before I go to sleep so nook is usually beside me when I fall asleep. I don't know I rolled on it in my sleep or what in the morning I had a cracked screen now only 1/3 of the screen works
I won't be able to get a replacement as its a ebay purchase and I live outside the US.
Yikes.

I make sure the reader is in the case before I turn off the light. I have cats and they will inevitably sit on anything with a screen on it. They're too light to do damage by weight but I'm concerned their claws would screw up the screen.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #25
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Yikes.

I make sure the reader is in the case before I turn off the light. I have cats and they will inevitably sit on anything with a screen on it. They're too light to do damage by weight but I'm concerned their claws would screw up the screen.
Oh yeah, I'd bet their claws would mess up the screen. I have 3 tiny, about 3-5mm long scratches on my ipad 2 screen, that I am 95% sure are a result of one of my cats jumping up on to my couch and landing on it, and immediately jumping off the ipad on to the back of the couch.

Really ticks me off (partly at myself for leaving it where my cats might land). Fortunately or unfortunately the mic in my ipad 2 is completely dead, and it still has about 2 months left on the warranty, so hopefully/probably I should be able to get the ipad replaced under warranty because of the dead mic. The scratches aren't really bad, but it annoys me that they are there.

I'd imagine a nook ST screen is not has hard/scratch resistant as an ipad2's screen is.

For case, I just use the standard madeline cover in ink from BN. It works pretty well (I hate folio covers). I doubt it adds a huge amount of crush resistance, but it should reduce flex a little in the body of the nook, as well as prevent things from pressing directly against the screen breaking them. Probably also a fair amount of extra drop protection depending on how it lands, as the cover will slip/flex/deform some before transfering energy in to the body of the nook. My cat has knocked it off my bedside table down about 3ft and over about 2ft (he knocked it pretty hard) and it was "fine" landing on its corner/edge. It did give me a "battery needs to be charged" screen when I opened the cover a few minutes later, but immediately booted without any issues when I hit the power button. Must have just been enough to cause some kind of shock to the battery/mainboard that caused an instant of low voltage or something triggering the charge screen.

All that said, I don't want it to happen, buy I also look at it as a $99 investment (well, actually it was a present, but whatever). If it breaks, I'll be really ticked, but it is only a hundred bucks to replace (my ipad 2 I might actually shed real tears if it broke and I had to shell out $500 to replace it).
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #26
Elizabeth_b
Elizabeth_b began at the beginning.

Device: Rooted Nook Simple Touch
Hi Tinderbox (UK), did you get the aluminium hard case in the end? I was thinking of getting that one too. Having just lost an ereader to a broken screen I want to hardest one I can get.
Elizabeth_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #27
Tinderbox (UK)
Connoisseur
Tinderbox (UK) began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle DXG
I did get that case, though i only want it for storage, and when i carry it around, being thin aluminium it is not much larger than the nook, rather than the plastic hard cases which are about three times a thick as the nook.

A couple of problems, 1 : the clip to hold it closed is just a bit of bent aluminium that just clips together, it was rather weak so i bent it a bit more now it closes fine, though i have to use my fingernails to open it.

2 : the case it meant to hold the nook while it is being used, so the nook is held in place by four plastic clips, which don't work very well, as the nook keeps popping out, and might scratch the nooks case over time, but since i only want it to protect my nook when it is not being used, I have removed the clips.

So for me it works fine until i find something better , I would prefer if there were no holes in the case, as the power button and the charging socket is exposed.

If you want to know anything else let me know.

John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_b View Post
Hi Tinderbox (UK), did you get the aluminium hard case in the end? I was thinking of getting that one too. Having just lost an ereader to a broken screen I want to hardest one I can get.
Tinderbox (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #28
Elizabeth_b
Elizabeth_b began at the beginning.

Device: Rooted Nook Simple Touch
Thanks Tinderbox! So it's good and hard and light (what I wanted) but not brilliantly made. Well that'll do me.
Elizabeth_b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
case, cover, nook