Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #61
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by repods View Post
I would like to dissent..
It would be trivial to take out a couple features, add in some others, and end up with an identically sized binary. The size tells you nothing about the contents.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #62
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
It would be trivial to take out a couple features, add in some others, and end up with an identically sized binary. The size tells you nothing about the contents.
as previously stated even the content is only slightly different..
to an experienced programmer a few bytes differences in 2 files means immediately that they share the same source, with only some differences in compilation time, and switches..
on the other hand dr800 uds it's only a subsystem of the dr1000 one, what new features you see in it ?
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #63
Aegis
Aegis began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR1000S
Quote:
to an experienced programmer a few bytes differences in 2 files means immediately that they share the same source, with only some differences in compilation time, and switches..
An experienced programmer? I just had a look at the 'Repods-20-questions-for-GertJan'-topic. Not to call you out, input is always appreciated. But you have a nasty tendency to put people down while you're at it.

All Shaggy means to tell, is that (altough, as he states, in this case it might be so) it's not smart to compare firmwares based on filesize. Previous (final) firmwares for the DR1000S had almost the same size, altough they differed a lot in contents. As in: always some new functions added.
Aegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #64
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
as previously stated even the content is only slightly different..
That has been figured out since the original statements, yes. File size won't tell you that though.

Quote:
There's a big difference between doing something like a binary diff to know that only a few bytes are different, versus just looking at the file size.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #65
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
An experienced programmer?
I have no idea what the experience levels of other programmers are on here, but I suspect it's a lot like asking people how good of a driver they are. Everyone you ask says that they're an "above average" driver. Kind of odd how that works.
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #66
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
on the other hand dr800 uds it's only a subsystem of the dr1000 one, what new features you see in it ?
We have no idea what's in the UDS code, that's kind of the point. I'm just recommending to be a little careful drawing conclusions from assumptions that don't necessarily mean anything. I'm just offering advice, that's all. If you want to think that comparing file sizes tells you anything about the code, then good luck.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #67
repods
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
We have no idea what's in the UDS code, that's kind of the point. I'm just recommending to be a little careful drawing conclusions from assumptions that don't necessarily mean anything. I'm just offering advice, that's all. If you want to think that comparing file sizes tells you anything about the code, then good luck.
good luck even to you..
Old 06-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #68
Shaggy
Wizard

I assume the waveforms are in a separate driver, and not in UDS. Does anyone on here know that for sure?
Old 06-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #69
AlpGlide
Connoisseur
AlpGlide began at the beginning.

Device: dr900
how to change flipbar's direction in landscape ?
It looks like the flipbar setup only affects flipbar's direction in portrait status, how to change flipbar's direction in landscape ?
AlpGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #70
repods
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpGlide View Post
how to change flipbar's direction in landscape ?
It looks like the flipbar setup only affects flipbar's direction in portrait status, how to change flipbar's direction in landscape ?
I never noticed this.. going to test it..
Old 06-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #71
AlpGlide
Connoisseur
AlpGlide began at the beginning.

Device: dr900
any result?

Quote:
I never noticed this.. going to test it..
I concern this because my flipbar is not so sensitive in up-to-down direction. I have to push around 4 to 5 times for next page in landscape mode
AlpGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #72
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Right, now I got the device in my hands, so I could check few things. Assuming that Irex developers won't compile relevant bits out of uds in RC3 (wink, wink , it would be possible to write a program that would flip relevant bits on demand. Here's what it'd need to do:
- once launched, present user with a browsable list of files
- if you select a file: check if there's metadata.db present in the same directory, check if it contains entries for that file
- if it does, ask which fields should be flipped: fullscreen and/or flowmode
- change metadata.db
- there we go

It doesn't seem terribly complicated, and shell version of that, working without any interface (ie. on a specific file) can be written on the fly. I don't think I'm a programmer skillful enough to code an UI

Before I go off and experiment, few questions:
- What's the proper value of 'uds_full_screen' field? Obviously not '1' - this caused my reader to protest.
- It's very easy to do this once the reader is connected and sdcard exported over usb - if UDS caches some information in RAM, same strategy won't work from the device. Any useful findings here? Perhaps it would be sufficient to kill uds, and allow sysd to restart it?
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #73
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

...answering my own question, when fullscreen mode is enabled, 'uds_full_screen="full_screen_mode"'. Gee, what was wrong with 1/0?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #74
yacoob
Zealot

I've flipped uds/popupmenu to dr1000 version, played around and came back. Conclusion: once flow mode is enabled, I was able to zoom in and out, while preserving the continuous mode. The story was different for fullscreen, as I've managed to get "out" of it, and (obviously) I wasn't able to get back, without either flipping the field by hand from my pc, or swapping binaries once more.

I don't care that much about fullscreen, so I guess that for starters, I'd write a script that would operate on sdcard, mounted at pc, and flip the flow mode field in all metadata.db files it can find.

Apologies for talking to myself, but I've decided to share my findings this way, hoping that we can get to the goal quicker this way.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #75
yacoob
Zealot

...and funnily enough, toggling the flow mode for a epub file results in being unable to flip pages at all.