Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #16
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Since the update, I've noticed my Recent Drawer not working. No matter what app/game I open, the most recent items no longer show. Instead it just shows older things accessed. And it's always the same older group of apps/games.

I updated to the new firmware the first day or two it was available and I noticed the recent drawer not working about a day or two later. I thought maybe it would fix itself over time, but it's still not working. So I think it's because of the new firmware. That's the only thing I can think of.

I like the recent drawer enough that I would consider reinstalling to see if that fixes it.

Anyone else experiencing this too?

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 08-19-2013 at 01:19 PM.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #17
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Pat I have my rooted via SD card. I don't use the Nook OS, so I am no help there. Is there anything about it on the Nook forums on the B&N site or elsewhere?
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #18
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I gotta have the Google Play store now. That will probably rule out the Kindles for a long time.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #19
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

jersyman, I checked on the B&N site and there are no reports of it happening to others. I am in the process of downloading the 2.1.1 firmware now, and I am going to try to reinstall it manually in the hopes it will fix it. If it doesn't I will post the problem over at the B&N site to see if someone there has any ideas.

Thanks for the suggestion.

--Pat
Old 08-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #20
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Pat I was able to check and it looks like mine is the same way as you described.

Also, is there anyway to delete items in that list?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #21
PatNY
Zennist

booklover, thanks for checking. That seems to mean that the issue is with the new update and some incompatibility. Do you also have the "Extras" mod on the device that is not showing the Recent Drawer correctly? Or is it pure stock without any mod?

I tried to re-install 2.1.1 manually on my device to see if that would fix it, but the HD won't even recognize the file. It just deletes the file that I put in the internal storage folder. I think it's programmed to delete any update file if the update is already installed. So I don't know how to reinstall it.

I posted a report on the Nook HD forum at B&N. Hopefully someone there may have a clue. I may also drop in to my local B&N where I bought this.

If there is no fix, I am thinking of downgrading back to 2.1.0 -- but I'm not sure how I'd go about it. I also don't want to lose some of my data -- like game scores etc. Anyone know how to back up and restore that on a Nook HD?

To delete items in your Recent Drawer, you just drag them out of the drawer. But you might not want to do that. They won't come back! So only delete things you may not want quick access to. I cleaned out my drawer this way, thinking that may fix things. Instead, it just left an empty drawer. Now the only thing that shows in it is Google Chrome. LOL. That's the only app I've found so far that will update in the drawer. I think it's some conspiracy by Google!

--Pat
Old 08-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #22
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Ok Pat, I just checked. The HD+, which I modified with the Extras, is the drawer that does not update. The HD, which is not modified, shows new items in the drawer.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #23
PatNY
Zennist

Thanks for that info, Booklover. That really helps pin down where the problem is -- evidently some incompatibility with 2.1.1 and "Extras."

I'm going to go over to xda and see if I can downgrade to 2.1.0. I really didn't notice any improvements with 2.1.1 anyway. I'd rather get my recent drawer back!

--Pat
Old 08-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #24
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Odd! My "recent drawer" shows up just fine in my 2.1.1 HD+ with "Extras".
Have you cehcked settings - applications - show my recent drawer?

My "Active shelf" (the carousel) misbehaves though and doesn't show anything recent even if I tell it to. And items removed from it won't come back.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #25
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Odd! My "recent drawer" shows up just fine in my 2.1.1 HD+ with "Extras".
Have you cehcked settings - applications - show my recent drawer?

My "Active shelf" (the carousel) misbehaves though and doesn't show anything recent even if I tell it to. And items removed from it won't come back.
Asawi, yes, settings were checked. It was the first thing I did. The Recent Drawer is there -- it just won't show any recent apps/games! And if you remove any of the apps, they won't come back.

Can you double check and make sure that the most recently opened app is at the front of your drawer? Not just that the drawer is there?

That's funny about your "Active Shelf" ... it is misbehaving just as my Recent Drawer is!

BTW, I removed the "Active Shelf" from my home page by unchecking all options in settings. I never see it. So I can't say whether it has that same behavior you describe.

--Pat
Old 08-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #26
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yese, the most recent app is in the front. I'll try to remove apps and see if they come back and come back and report later.
I don't actually use the stock launcher normally even though I run stock everything else, but it still annoys me that I canät get the carousel to work as it should, shoud I want to go back to the stock launcher!

Edit:
Aaaaah... After I emptied the recent drawer it stayed empty, just like you say! Strenge that it worked as it should until I emptied it, and then not at all!! Same way as the carousel!

Last edited by Asawi; 08-20-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #27
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Maybe this doesn't suit you at all, but with an alterantive launcher you can make so much more use of the home screen. This my not apply to you, but I have maybe 5-10 apps that I use relatively frequently and like to have easy access to, so I put them on the home screen. The stock homescreen has very little room except for in the carousel, but with an alternative launcher you have room for so much more on the hoem screen(s).
(I have one "main" home screen with my "must-haves" and another one with "use now and then and like to have nearby" apps.
Not only are the home screens mora managable, usually you hav more options on how the app drawer looks. For example in ADW EX (that I use) I can group my apps and only show a selection when I go there for one of the apps I didn't think needed to be on the home page.
There are so many more ways to organize things if you step away from the stock launcher. Sadly, in away, because there are things I like with the stock launcher as well! I like the look of it, for example! But unfortunately it's a bit too much "look" and not enough "functionality". But that's another topic...
Edit: Added screenshot of that "secondary" home screen as well. The 5 apps in the bottom row are "stuck" there no matter how many screens I make.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-08-20-18-33-19.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	109666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-08-20-18-54-46.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	109667  

Last edited by Asawi; 08-20-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #28
PatNY
Zennist

asawi & booklover, I finally figured out where the incompatibility is. At first I thought it was with the "Extras" mod, but it's not. It's with any app that is accessed via some 2nd party shortcuts or folders. In other words, if you access an app directly via the Nook's native app drawer, or via one of the shelves in the Nook Library, or even through a shortcut made by pressing on an app in the Nook app drawer, then it will always show up in the Recent Drawer -- and instantly. But I use two programs to arrange almost all my apps in folders and to also change the image icon of a few apps, and none of those apps get updated to the Recent Drawer. Not a single one.

Both of those programs worked fine with the previous 2.1.0 firmware. B&N changed how the Recent Drawer works.

What I'll be looking for is a workaround -- a widget that will show recent apps accessed, thus making the Recent Drawer obsolete. If anyone has any ideas on this, let me know.

And thanks, asawi, for the launcher suggestions. I don't like dual launch setups, and I want to keep the native Nook interface, which I like. As I said, I'll just look for a workaround to the Recent Drawer issue.

--Pat
Old 08-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #29
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Thanks for explaining that! I came here to say that my recent drawer seems to work again and I couldn't understand why. What you say makes sense though.

Edit:Yep. Sure seems like you're right. The reason I saw it working was because I was fiddling with the stock home screen. Once I went back to ADW the apps stopped showing up.

Last edited by Asawi; 08-22-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #30
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
When I saw this thread, my reaction was "Has the recent apps drawer *ever* worked?" I use Holo Launcher HD, and only access the Nook home screen if I want a book from my Nook library that hasn't been sideloaded on the device. My guess was using a launcher is what stopped the screen working for me. It's an annoyance, and one that has me considering trying to root.

Anyway, I guess the Nook downloaded the update last night, as I am on 2.1.1. Haven't noticed any difference yet. I think I might do a factory reset at some point, see if the device performs better. I have had occasional issues where the screen just freezes and I need to reboot the device. But it could be some app or game. So what I want to do is reset, then load with my core apps, run it for a while, see what happens before loading lesser used apps.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote