Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #91
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keez View Post
Maybe I did something wrong here but this is what I got

[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# ls -l /mnt/mmc-base/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Sep 3 2011 bin
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Sep 3 2011 dev
drwxr-xr-x 30 root root 2048 Jun 1 2011 etc
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 2048 Sep 3 2011 lib
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Sep 3 2011 linuxrc -> /sbin/init
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 1024 Sep 3 2011 mnt
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 1024 Mar 28 15:46 opt
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Sep 3 2011 proc
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 2048 Sep 3 2011 sbin
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Sep 3 2011 sys
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 1024 Jun 1 2011 test
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Jan 1 1970 tmp -> /var/tmp
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 1024 Jun 1 2011 usr
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 1024 Sep 3 2011 var
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# ls -l /mnt/mmc-base/amazon
ls: /mnt/mmc-base/amazon: No such file or directory
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# ls -l /mnt/base-mmc/
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# ls -l /mnt/base-mmc/amazon
ls: /mnt/base-mmc/amazon: No such file or directory
Nope, you did just fine, that missing directory is the problem.
Try this command:
mkdir -p /mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
That will make all of the missing directories along the path.

Then do the usual routine for getting out of the diags mode;
If your Kindle is still working, try to run the update again.

Just putting in the full path may not fix the problem, because there may be other things missing.
If the update works, then all is good.
If the update fails, the only way to replace everything is to follow the instructions for loading one of the images from the debricking thread(s).

Our "de-bricking" expert is about 8 time zones away from me, he should be showing up here in a few more hours.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:02 AM   #92
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since /test on the root of the "main" mode file system isn't part of the FHS ....
It might be interesting to know how it got there.
Could that be part of the upgrading function, to move things to /test ? ? ? ?

Since /amazon on the root of the "main" mode file system isn't part of the FHS ...
But is now known to be missing on this machine ...
Could some action have "moved" /amazon to /test ? ? ? ?

Just puzzling questions at this point.
But will be interesting to see if the update succeeds with only the screensaver path in place with the screensaver directory empty (white screen, newly made directory).
Advert
Old 07-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #93
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@knc1: /test is there on most of the K4 dumps I saw. The ss are in /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #94
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@knc1: /test is there on most of the K4 dumps I saw. The ss are in /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
A copy and paste error in the path somewhere along the way?
Hmm... I don't know where that error crept into the dialog.

I probably should have stopped typing after the 10hour point yesterday;
At least I hadn't mailed out the bill yet.

The O.P. just needs to repeat the above trouble shooting sequence using the corrected path.

Last edited by knc1; 07-05-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:11 AM   #95
evergamer
Enthusiast
evergamer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Edit: Problem resolved in another thread.

Last edited by evergamer; 07-12-2012 at 04:41 PM.
evergamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #96
Keez
Keez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
What is the other thread?
Keez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #97
blueann_22
blueann_22 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (SO)
K4 NT KSO Screensaver hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Are you using the settings menu to restart? Using a power switch long hold does not reliably extract data.tar.gz.

Also, for this RUNME.sh, be sure that you do NOT have an ENABLE_DIAGS file on your usb drive.
I have already jailbroke my device using the files at K4 wiki. i have also used the screen saver hack there but unfortunately this only works for the w/o special offers version.

Now, i saw on the thread here that there is a way to remove the ads and I have already done that but when I check plug in my Kindle, the RUNME.sh is the only one there. No screensavers folder and RUNME.done.

When I jailbroke my kindle I have used the universal method and have copied the data.tar.gz, ENABLE_DIAGS and diagnostic_logs to the Kindle's USB drive's root. You mentioned that to be sure that I do NOT have an ENABLE_DIAGS file on my kindle. I have checked all the folders and there is none. But still this screen saver hack is not working for me.

I have seen on this thread that pretober had been successful.

Originally Posted by thomass
Delete the existing RUNME.sh and RUNME.done
Copy this RUNME.sh to your Kindle then restart.
It works!
chmod to rewrite, backup the ads folder, and then change to readonly. Nice work!

Thank you so much, one more again!

But what does he meant by this: chmod to rewrite, backup the ads folder, and then change to readonly. ?

Please enlighten me. Thanks in advance.
blueann_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #98
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
To quote a wise man:

"If you don't know what you are doing, it is probably a good idea to stop."
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #99
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueann_22 View Post
I have already jailbroke my device using the files at K4 wiki. i have also used the screen saver hack there but unfortunately this only works for the w/o special offers version.
Pay the couple of buck to get them removed. Job done
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #100
AwesomeM
AwesomeM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 nonTouch
Hello guys, a german needs help from you with his kindle4

Hello guys,
I am from germany & my englisch is not as good as I wish but I try to keep the problem description easy & focused.

Problem: -No more screensaver, standbymodus is completly white
-Cant update to 4.1

I own a Kindle 4 non Touch, v.4.0.1. The kindle is screensaver hacked after this explanation that is very good (enable_diag, usbnet etc...) :

http://blog.hastmeinwort.de/2012/03/...le-4-no-touch/

Everything worked great up to a whole year until yesterday. I wanted to put some more Screensaver pictures in the screensaver folder (about 70) & after I finished selecting the ones I wish to have I unplugged the kindle "to early", I mean before it gives you the "ok you can now disconect the usb cable" message.
Now the standby modus is made completely out of white without any screensaver.

What did I tried already?:
- disabling the hack.
-restarting the kindle.
-removing really everything including the books via factory settings.
-trying to update after "factory settings" to 4.1 without an idea why it doesnt worked.
It shoes me the errorcode "U006 & another time U008"
-putting in the screensaver folder an original .png file

Here is my PuTTY Log until I cant go further because there is missing some files oder directorys:

Quote:
login as: root
root@192.168.15.244's password:
#################################################
# N O T I C E * N O T I C E * N O T I C E #
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# mntroot rw
system: I mntroot:def:Making root filesystem writeable
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# mkdir /mnt/us/screensaver
mkdir: can't create directory '/mnt/us/screensaver': File exists
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc
mount: /dev/mmcblk0p1 already mounted or /mnt/base-mmc busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/mmcblk0p1 is already mounted on /mnt/base-mmc
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# cp /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800/
* /mnt/us/screensaver
cp: can't stat '/mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800/*': No such file or directory
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]#
Please help me guys, I really love this device with all the nice wallpapers.

Greetings from germany.

Last edited by AwesomeM; 10-30-2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: PuTTY Log added
AwesomeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #101
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
*facepalm*

Assuming diags, mmcblk0p1 & the userstore are mounted:

Code:
rm -rf /mnt/us/screensaver
rm -rf /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600×800
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600×800.alt /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600×800
(Which is more or less what the uninstall instructions said, so, yay for reading 'till the end?).

Reboot, then refrain from installing something you don't actually understand. (Hint.).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-30-2012 at 09:50 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #102
AwesomeM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
*facepalm*

Assuming diags, mmcblk0p1 & the userstore are mounted:

Code:
rm -rf /mnt/us/screensaver
rm -rf /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600×800
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600×800.alt /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600×800
(Which is more or less what the uninstall instructions said, so, yay for reading 'till the end?).

Reboot, then refrain from installing something you actually don't understand. (Hint.).
I dont know if I really got what you are meaning, sorry. Do you mean I dont know how the hack functions? If so, I know how to do the hack but I dont know how to do everything else, like resolving the issue.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #103
knc1
Going Viral

Well, knowing what keys to press and in what order isn't exactly the same as knowing the commands they form and those command's effects on the system.

Knowing the effect on the system is vital to understanding how to revert what you did to it and also to knowing what the error messages mean when something goes wrong (as evidenced by your putty log).

Last edited by knc1; 10-30-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #104
AwesomeM

Yep, you are pretty right.
Then I suggest that I really need a point to point explanation. Could some of you help me regardless of my skills?

Is this the Link I could need?

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...king#Jailbreak
Old 10-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #105
AwesomeM

I succesfully got some folders in the root showing up (.active-content-data, diagnostic_logs,documents,screensaver,DONT_HALT_ON _REPAIR,Update_payload.bin,USBnet.xml) Now I put the screensavers again back into the now visible screensaver folder but the issue with the blank standbyscreen remains...