Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

View Poll Results: Should ePubFixer remove DRM?
Release a standard version and have people do there own special build 4 12.50%
Just release it will all the options 19 59.38%
Don't release it, remove it from the source 6 18.75%
Release it, but have the option to enable it hidden 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Ethical question about adding DRM removing in ePubFixer

I created a app to easily edit an ePub TOC, Margins, Reading order or Editing in Sigil and having it restore the TOC that was lost.

Now a lot of retail books are not prefect and do need some tweaking, so removing the DRM is required to edit them.

I honestly think DRM is stupid, and remove it for each book I own. But I do understand the "illegality" and moral dilemma involved.

Now I have found a .NET port for the python script used to remove the Adobe DRM, and have been working to integrate it into my program. But I am not sure if I should release it.

I was thinking of doing a normal build without it, and people wanting to remove the DRM will have to build them from the source. Because there is no dependency to python, I fear that it may be too popular, because of the ease of use. So making people have to build there own might be a deterrent for some.

But I personally hate when people do that, even if the required program is free to download. Not everybody will want to install another program when there are alternate ways to do it.

So this is my dilemma, what do you think I should do?
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Yeah, I think just because you can, doesn't mean you should...
It's there for a reason, as much as I hate it, I think the general population, don't care, and the ones that do already know how, so you should leave it alone
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
While I share your sentiments, I don't think YOUR software should "aide and abet" in this endeavour!

There's other software for that; IMHO your software should concentrate on what it does best, fix non-DRM'ed ebooks!

Plus, directly assisting in DRM-removal is a quick way to surface into the limelight...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Writing and distributing DRM-removal software might be legal in Canada today, but it may not be forever if a DMCA-like law gets passed. Also. you would be at risk of prosecution any time you visited (or passed through) the US.

The only approaches that make sense are the effectively anonymous stand alone DRM-stripping tools and 3rd-party (anonymous) plugins. Note that plugin interfaces need to be for more than DRM-removal.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
Stuart_L
Stuart_L began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, EeePC w/ FBReader
Since you pose it as an ethical question, rather than a legal one ... to my way of thinking, it is probably, at the very least, ethically superior to putting the drm on the file in the first place. But ethics and commerce don't seem to mix very well.
Stuart_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Well, I seem to be in the smallest minority position, but I think you should do one thing well. I think it's better to let people do their own DRM removal, and let them keep up with those changes, instead of you trying to track DRM problems as well as your own improvements.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
I am of two minds on this issue. On the one hand I think you should concentrate on what the program is meant to do. Play to your strengths so to speak. On the other hand as someone who despises DRM but is not a programmer I would not necessarily be able to do my own DRM removal and would appreciate if the program did it for me. When I think about it though there are DRM removal tools and plug ins already available so maybe that would be a non issue after all.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adept, adobe drm, drm, epubfixer