Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
PDF file: sometimes blank, sometimes not

I have a pdf file that's an omnibus, about 750 pages. I can read it with Acrobat Reader, I can copy the text and paste it into a Word file. I can open and read it in Calibre, and I'm actually trying to convert it to epub now, but it's been working since last night (777 minutes) and it hasn't finished yet.

What I can't do with this file is see anything when I open it in ADE or on my Sony 650. It's just 750 blank pages. Can anyone shed any light on this?
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Are you using calibre for conversion? If so, I'd ask in the calibre forum.

Another thing to try would be to extract the text to HTML through Acrobat, and then convert the HTML to ePub with calibre. You may get better results doing that than converting from PDF to ePub in one step with just calibre.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 03:05 AM   #3
vastav
vastav began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Are you using calibre for conversion? If so, I'd ask in the calibre forum.

Another thing to try would be to extract the text to HTML through Acrobat, and then convert the HTML to ePub with calibre. You may get better results doing that than converting from PDF to ePub in one step with just calibre.
You may want to try out this Acrobat plugin solution which provides one step conversion from Acrobat to ePub and also retains PDF bookmarks in the resulting ePub.
vastav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastav View Post
You may want to try out this Acrobat plugin solution which provides one step conversion from Acrobat to ePub and also retains PDF bookmarks in the resulting ePub.
vulcan_girl might, not me. I'm a linux user, committed to using free/open source software whenever I can. So I don't personally use Acrobat, much less something like this. But I'd be very surprised if it that plugin were worth the extra money over using calibre for conversion, unless you were doing this quite a lot. Of course, it's hard to know, since no price is listed. That kind of thing infuriates me. Let's give them a free trial, and then spring an unknown cost on them when they want the real version.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote