Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-13-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
activea
activea began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
PRS-505 and SD Cards issues

Hello,

I received my PRS-505 two weeks ago and the first problem i faced has to do with SD cards.
I started using my PRS-505 by keeping the readers memory free of ebooks and keeping a few ebooks in a Transcend 512MB 80x SD card.
Then after a few connects/disconnects to Sony eBook Library (or libprs500), in order to create Collections and to modify book/author titles i show that my SD Card has lost all these changes (Collections, Modifications to ebooks titles etc).

Two days ago i connected my device to pc in order to charge it, but after the disconnection i had the same problem (with the lost Collections and Modifications to ebooks).

I copied all my data to a TwinMOS Ultra-X 2GB 133x SD card and i noticed two things:
1) The time it takes to load the books when you insert the TwinMOS SD to the device, is now reduced.
2) No more lost Collections, etc
3) PRS-505 works faster when navigating to menus, when loading ebooks ...

Did you have same issues with your device too??
Does the problem has to do with the compatibility of the device with specific brands or has to do with cards speed (80x VS 133x VS ??x)?

activea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have used my el-cheapo Micro Center branded 2gig SD card. I've not use dit all that much though. And th times I have, I've had no problems with it.

From your description, it sounds like there might be a problem with the Transcend SD card. I've heard the best thing to do with Transcend is to stay away. But then, I've had no personal experience.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by activea View Post
I copied all my data to a TwinMOS Ultra-X 2GB 133x SD card and i noticed two things:
1) The time it takes to load the books when you insert the TwinMOS SD to the device, is now reduced.
2) No more lost Collections, etc
3) PRS-505 works faster when navigating to menus, when loading ebooks ...

Did you have same issues with your device too??
Does the problem has to do with the compatibility of the device with specific brands or has to do with cards speed (80x VS 133x VS ??x)?

I know of four manufacturers of the actual flash memory used in SD cards: Hitachi, Panasonic, SanDisk, and Toshiba. All of the SD card manufacturers buy flash memory from one of them in an OEM deal and put it in their own packaging under their own name.

I have SD cards from Lexar Media, Patriot, PNY, and SanDisk. The fastest benchmarks are for the Lexar Media card that uses Panasonic flash. The slowest benchmark is the PNY card using Toshiba flash.

Overall benchmarks are in the same ballpark for all the cards, including the 2GB SanDisk "Ultra" card. The PNY specifically falls down on write speeds, which are an order of magnitude slower than the other cards. When I ran a benchmark on the PNY card in my Tapwave Zodiac 2 PDA, I thought the device had hung and was about to reset! That particular benchmark read and wrote a 1MB file to the card, and the write took a long time. (Kingston also uses Toshiba media, and folks have reported the same results on Kingston cards.)

I'm willing to bet something like that bit you.

Most folks seem to buy cards on the basis of cheapest price, but as usual, you get what you pay for. I've basically standardized on SanDisk as a known good card.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

DMcCunney, do you happen to know if any SD card uses less power to run then any of the others?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
DMcCunney, do you happen to know if any SD card uses less power to run then any of the others?
Not that I'm aware of, and I'm having a hard time imagining why SD cards should have significantly different power requirements.
______
Dennis
Old 01-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Not that I'm aware of, and I'm having a hard time imagining why SD cards should have significantly different power requirements.
______
Dennis
I have no idea if they do or not, that is why I am asking.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have no idea if they do or not, that is why I am asking.
AFAIK, they don't, which is why I'm curious.
______
Dennis