Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
EBookEnthusiasts
EBookEnthusiasts began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD Mini, Kindle
Cool Resolution, pixels and viewports

I am slowly crafting/coding an eBook with a width of 768px and a height of 1024px. I took this measurement from the Apple specs and recently discovered that these happen to be the default IPAD measurements in Adobe Illustrator. So far so good... However, I recently downloaded a noteworthy and inspiring fixed layout eBook and, upon doing an inspection (it has no DRM), I found that its pages are measured at 1224 x 1632. What is a good guide when choosing these measurements? What are the criteria for choosing one or the other? I am testing with an IPAD mini (a wonderful little critter) and I am beginning to wonder what would happen if I saw my book in a regular-sized IPAD (probably nothing, I guess… but just wondering). What are the 'safe' dimensions to design with?

Your expertise in this matter would be appreciated…
EBookEnthusiasts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Unless your book requires lots of illustrations to be in a specific layout, it's probably best to not code for specific resolutions. Waaaaaaaaay too many different devices out there. Hell, even if you code specifically for iPad, there's plenty of screen dimensions you'd need to take into account. Rely on relative positioning of elements.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
What if the user changes font size?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
The best guide for most readers is to not choose a fixed format.

There's a strong contingent here, or at least there was, that does not consider any fixed layout to be appropriate for an eBook. I use any one of 4 devices for reading, with resolutions ranging from 1920x1200 to 480x320 - the other two are 1024x600 and 854x480. I also have access to a fifth device, resolution 800x600. Not only do the resolutions differ, but so do the aspect ratios - ranging from 1.33 to 1.78. They also range from 163 to 265 pixels per inch.

There's no one fixed layout that will work on all those screens. It's just not doable.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:56 AM   #5
EBookEnthusiasts

I appreciate the responses. I'll take the advice into account. Regarding relative and absolute positioning however, I'd like to share a comment by Liz Castro:

http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...raight-to.html

Read her comment on the comments thread.

Fixed layout: yes, fixed layout has its detractors, but it looks great when done right, and that's what matters in certain types of books (not your 300-page novel). I actually like the format. If we are to reinvent the book, it will be thanks to this format. It has quite a lot of potential beyond illustrated books.

Susan: good question... but I don't know the answer....

R.P.
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 AM   #6
EBookEnthusiasts

I'll add one more post by Liz Castro regarding optimal page size in fixed layout books. I just found this:

http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...1_archive.html

Hope it informs our discussion.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:58 AM   #7
EBookEnthusiasts

I'll add one more post by Liz Castro regarding optimal page size in fixed layout EPUBS. I just found this:

http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...s-on-ipad.html

Hope it informs our discusion.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I think everyone agrees that when done right, fixed layout is beautiful.

The problem is that it's so hard to do right because no one fixed layout works for everyone. The author you're quoting is talking about fixed layout for iBooks in general and the iPad in particular.

That's a valid target, because there is only one form factor and two resolutions to target, and the higher resolution is simply twice that of the lower. You can do a fixed format for that platform and expect it to work for the vast majority of readers.

What you can't do as easily, if at all, is throw that same fixed layout into the Android wilds where it has to face a much larger range of resolutions, sizes, and pixel densities.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad, measurements, pixels, viewports