Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
lunkerguy
lunkerguy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Calibre installation error

I am running Windows 7 and when I download and attempt to install Calibre, I receive an error message saying "You do not have sufficient privileges to complete this installation for all users of the machine. Log on as administrator and then retry this installation."
I am the only user for this machine and am listed as the administrator. I've logged off and back on several times, but cannot get Calibre to install. Any help would be appreciated.
lunkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Do you have UAC enabled? If not, turn it on and try again.

What happens if you open an administrator cmd window (from the start menu, search for "cmd" and then right-click, run as admin) and run "msiexec /i calibre-0.7.38.msi" from the path where you downloaded calibre?
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 04:19 AM   #3
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
Can't you right click the install file and select the Run as Administrator option also?

I don't have Win7 so I do not know if it has that option like Vista does.
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
lunkerguy

I saved the download to the desktop and tried to run the install as administrator, but when I right click, it does not give me the option to run as administrator. I'm stumped. I've never had this problem and I always thought I was somewhat computer savvy....Help!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
lunkerguy

Finally got it

I finally was able to install it. I downloaded the installer to the desktop, copy and pasted it into the windows/system32 folder, then did the search 'cmd', 'run as administrator', then used the 'msiexec/i calibre0.7.38.msi' command. Then it installed. Thanks toddos for pointing me in the right direction. I still don't know why it wouldn't work, but I don't have to worry about that again. I hope.
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunkerguy View Post
I finally was able to install it. I downloaded the installer to the desktop, copy and pasted it into the windows/system32 folder, then did the search 'cmd', 'run as administrator', then used the 'msiexec/i calibre0.7.38.msi' command. Then it installed. Thanks toddos for pointing me in the right direction. I still don't know why it wouldn't work, but I don't have to worry about that again. I hope.
For starters, you didn't need to move the .msi to windows\system32. Second, you didn't answer whether or not you are using UAC. I assume not, and this is most likely the problem. Installers need administration privileges to install most of the time, and without UAC they can't automatically prompt for elevation. Thus they fail saying you don't have permission to install.

Turn UAC on. There's rarely, if ever, any reason to run with it off (the only reason to do so is to satisfy poorly written, broken software, and you shouldn't be rewarding developers who don't know how to write good software).
Old 01-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
lunkerguy

I do have UAC on. the command prompt would only recognize C:/Windows/system32> I don't know why, but it would not recognize the file path for some reason, and that is beyond what I know or care to know. That is why I copied the installer into the system32 folder, then installed it and it worked. I've pretty much forgotten all the DOS commands anyway, from lack of use. I haven't used DOS since my last engineering class in college. The good part is that it loaded and is running. Now I can keep from having to buy everything for my Kindle from Amazon.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Incidentally, the version 7.38 rocks. Significantly faster than any other version.

Thank you Calibre development team!
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
AmyLoves2Read
AmyLoves2Read began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks so much for this thread! I am running Vista and know enough about my laptop to be truly dangerous. I was able to get Calibre downloaded after following along. WIN!
AmyLoves2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
andoyitok
andoyitok began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Do you have UAC enabled? If not, turn it on and try again.

What happens if you open an administrator cmd window (from the start menu, search for "cmd" and then right-click, run as admin) and run "msiexec /i calibre-0.7.38.msi" from the path where you downloaded calibre?
I am posting again coz I don't know if my previous reply was posted.

I have followed your suggestions to the letter, yet I get another error message (screenshot posted)

Need help. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Error msg.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	72960  
andoyitok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:53 AM   #11
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoyitok View Post
I am posting again coz I don't know if my previous reply was posted.

I have followed your suggestions to the letter, yet I get another error message (screenshot posted)

Need help. Thanks.
Maybe this could help.
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:59 AM   #12
toddos
Guru

It sure looks like you've got a corrupt download. Download it again, perhaps from a different location (the alternate download link on the website).