Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Should I bother with the firmware update? (UK)

Hi

I imported a US 505 here to the UK about six or so months ago. I'm very happy with it, using it mainly for (dubiously obtained I'm afraid) ebooks and manga.

I'm slightly perturbed by reports, however few, of some Readers getting bricked. Given that it's an import, it would be a complete arse getting it replaced under warranty should anything happen to it during the update. Thing is, I never use it for pdf's, nor will I ever use it for epub's. As far as I can see, the only feature I would quite like is the ability to delete on the Reader itself, but it's hardly an essential feature with my usage - I tend to bung a load of stuff on there and I'm good for a couple of months

Am I missing anything should I choose not to update?

I have a similar paranoia about my launch US PS3, I *always* give it a week or so before updating the firmware, especially since it'd be very tricky to replace an original 60gb these days.

Last edited by yegon; 07-31-2008 at 01:07 PM.
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
If you're happy with the books available now, you probably ought to hold off on the download. Although I downloaded the firmware without a problem. Mind you, now that they are selling Sony's in the UK, you might check and see if your warranty now applies.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
There's some mention of bugs being fixed, but nothing anyone's been able to point to, so there's not really anything critical to update for.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Inow that they are selling Sony's in the UK, you might check and see if your warranty now applies.
They're not selling for another 5 weeks or so, so I don't think we'll get a knowledgeable answer yet...
Old 07-31-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Advantages of new upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
There's some mention of bugs being fixed, but nothing anyone's been able to point to, so there's not really anything critical to update for.
It upgrades performance on the PRS 505 Reader plus some new menu additions. It allows reading of PDF books in a better format on both the eLibrary and on the Reader.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
It upgrades performance on the PRS 505 Reader plus some new menu additions. It allows reading of PDF books in a better format on both the eLibrary and on the Reader.
Faster response, better pdf legibility (reflow), and ability to delete books directly on the Reader. 3 good reasons to upgrade IMO.

I don't recall anyone bricking their 505 from the official SONY firmware upgrade. And if you do, you can always reflash. Not a worry IMO.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Faster response, better pdf legibility (reflow), and ability to delete books directly on the Reader. 3 good reasons to upgrade IMO.

I don't recall anyone bricking their 505 from the official SONY firmware upgrade. And if you do, you can always reflash. Not a worry IMO.
The OP doesn't read PDFs & while the book deletion's nice for those of us who want to 'tidy up' our devices as we read, it's not really an essential, is it? :-)

As for bricking with an official update, take a look in the " Reader Troubleshooting" sub-forum. Here & here, for instance - there are others that have had problems & needed more that just a retry to fix, too - e.g. here.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:12 PM   #8
charlieperry
Connoisseur
charlieperry doesn't littercharlieperry doesn't litter

Definitely go for it. I didn't have any problems and the benefits are huge. Make sure your Reader is fully charged before you begin.
charlieperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:27 PM   #9
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Thumbs up Absolutely

The new PDF handling is so much better than the prior handling that it literally makes the PDF usable for me. I've downloaded a couple of books that I was only able to find in PDF format and am in pig heaven. I would absolutely upgrade. It will make your reader a better, in some respects faster and more flexible device.https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ima...1/thumbsup.gif
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I relented in the end, and successfully updated mine . Again, the only feature I'll actually use is the delete book facility, but the lure of vague "stability and bug fixes" and a natural obsession with keeping things updated got me in the end!
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #11
nippa
nippa began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
My PRS 505 is also an import devoid of official content thanks to Sony's US-Centric attitude to accepting credit cards.
I updated mine just as soon as the patch came out with no problem and it seems to have improved the look of some PDF Manuals.

FWIW , I was in Waterstons at Trafford Centre Manchester this morning and the reader is being pushed at the checkout. Taking pre-orders.
nippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
ejereader
ejereader began at the beginning.

Device: 505
I agree that you should update. I may be imagining things but my battery life seems longer, as well as the other changes. Lastly, but certainly not least, the largest library district in my area has downloadable ebooks. While the collection is not huge, it is not that bad and works perfectly with Adobe Digital Editions and my Sony 505.
ejereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:14 AM   #13
NigelS
Enthusiast
NigelS doesn't litterNigelS doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
yes, I also think I am getting better battery life with the new upgrade - it seems not to run down as fast when it is off (in sleep mode).

NigelS
NigelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #14
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

the update made book loading and menu navigation much faster, worth the upgrade
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:02 PM   #15
Surfergirl
Enthusiast
Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505 (Blue)/PRS-505 (Red)/iPhone 3GS
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
If you're happy with the books available now, you probably ought to hold off on the download. Although I downloaded the firmware without a problem. Mind you, now that they are selling Sony's in the UK, you might check and see if your warranty now applies.
Just checked with Sony UK, and this was their response:

"HI Irene,
Any warranty purchased in the US can only be supported in the US not the UK.
With Kind Regards
Zoe"

Bummer !!
Surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote