Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-14-2007, 04:49 AM   #1
leeloo
multipass
leeloo began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Black M-Edge Cover

As folks have noticed, Bookeen seems to be shipping Cybooks with the M-Edge cover rather than the one on the Bookeen website.

Having had it for approximately thirty minutes, I don't think I mind all that much, but I'm wondering about a few things.

The Bookeen website describes the Bookeen cover as "easily foldable with integrated magnets". By contrast the M-Edge cover doesn't seem to fold back very easily (indeed, it seems designed not to), and has a leather tuck strap to keep things closed, which past experience with, eg. filofaxes, leads me to wonder whether this tuck strap will keep getting in the way of the screen.

The Bookeen cover seems to be clean on the inside. The M-Edge cover (or "genuine leather executive jacket", as they call it) has a loop for a pen and pockets for stuff (that seem to be the size they are purely as a function of the size of the cover as a whole, rather than as a function of anything one might want to put in them). These additions strike me as completely useless for the Cybook, although they might well be useful for some of the other things M-Edge makes stuff for.

As for brown v black - I could go either way.

So - the jury is out on the replacement covers. (And I wish Bookeen had told us about the switch...)

Last edited by leeloo; 12-14-2007 at 04:52 AM. Reason: typo
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
But does this black cover make it much wider? It looks like the brown cover fits very snug and the black looks bigger. Could you maybe make some pictures please?

To be honest, I still think they can't just change the cover without notifying people who ordered the brown cover.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The original tan cover doesn't fold back - at least not very easily. I wouldn't want to fold it back, personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

BTW leeloo, the M-Edge cover is a bit stiff in the beginning but you can fold it back. Also you can fold it and then insert the strap to get it out of the way.

Check here

Last edited by diabloNL; 12-14-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
leeloo
multipass
leeloo began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
HarryT, diabloNL - good to know, thanks (:
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Also, while I quite like the brown cover, I'm not having any luck with the magnets at all - they're not strong enough to keep the cover closed.

Although I have no problem folding the cover back, unless I'm misunderstanding something.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
I have to admit I'm glad that got one of the brown ones (altho brown is definitely NOT my favourite colour!) .. the brown/tan case is so snug and nothing 'extra' .. I really wouldnt want the card holder/pen holder bit at all and the flap closure would annoy me too ..

I find the magnets not very strong but when I put the Cybook down I put it face down (the tan case is rather nicely padded too and so soft) and the magnets hold no problem ..

When I read if I'm laying down I am tending to fold back the cover but sitting up I'm using it like a 'proper' book .. wow I dont think I'll want to ever read a 400 page 'real' book again! .. this thing is so wonderfully light!

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:07 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The magnets will work much better after some time. I got my Cybook in the first batch and it works perfectly now.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #9
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The magnets will work much better after some time. I got my Cybook in the first batch and it works perfectly now.
thanks Tompe .. good to know

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:05 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As Tommy says, after a couple of weeks the leather on the "hinge" of the case softens up and the magnets work fine then.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #11
SandySchwab
Mad Author
SandySchwab began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
To be honest, I still think they can't just change the cover without notifying people who ordered the brown cover.
I'm glad I'm not the only one! And according to Bookeen's Terms of Trade:

"If the products are not available, We will inform You by email as soon as possible. In the event of this unavailability, We will provide You in replacement an article of same quality and equivalent price. In this case, if you decide not to accept this replacement in accordance with your right of withdrawal (in the sense of the French law), the shipment cost will be at our charge. If We could not provide You an article of same quality and equivalent price, You will be able to cancel your order." (emphasis mine)

They didn't stick to their own Terms of Trade.
SandySchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:21 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I agree. The only "consolation", I suppose, is that the M-Edge cover is actually somewhat more expensive than the Bookeen one. I'm sure that if you write to Bookeen they'll exchange it for you.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #13
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree. The only "consolation", I suppose, is that the M-Edge cover is actually somewhat more expensive than the Bookeen one. I'm sure that if you write to Bookeen they'll exchange it for you.
If you would buy it from the US then yes. But if you buy it in Europe:

Bookeen cover $39.95 = Euro 27.69

M-Edge cover $54.99 = Euro 38.11

But unfortunately Bookeen just changes the Dollar sign to a Euro sign if you select for example The Netherlands. So that means I paid Euro 39.95 for a cover of Euro 38.11.

But to be serious, it's not about the money and maybe the black cover is even nicer. It is about the fact that they decide to send a replacement without even asking or notifying the customer.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:54 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
But to be serious, it's not about the money and maybe the black cover is even nicer. It is about the fact that they decide to send a replacement without even asking or notifying the customer.
I agree. Poor customer relations, doing that.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:12 AM   #15
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree. Poor customer relations, doing that.
Can only chime in to that comment. I might even be a bit rambling about this (at least I have in other threads): in my opinion Bookeen's communication (or lack thereof) with their customers is pretty pathetic. Yes, might be that Bookeen is a 'company with two guys in a room' -- that does not, however, excuse the communication issues Bookeen seems to have.

Apart from the lack of customer information via E-Mail I also find the complete absence of a support forum rather irritating. A support forum is a great thing for everybody involved. Just in case the people at Bookeen haven't realized this: support forums tend to result in LESS work for a company, since a. there is always regular visitors to such forums which are not employees (and hence take no salary) and still are willing and able to solve a lot of customer issues, and b. such forums provide a nexus for customers to get information as well as for the company to spread information.

At least Bookeen could use this very forum (the mobileread forum that is) in a sort of official manner. That is, have somebody visit this forum regularly and clearly mark him / her as an official representative of Bookeen (by means of signature, avatar, introducing him/herself as such in a thread).

Last edited by ashalan; 12-17-2007 at 07:17 AM.
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote