Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-21-2016, 05:42 AM   #1
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Any good publisher for public domain classics?

Hi,

I am searching for a publisher that delivers good classics with introductions, notes and all.

Any recommendations?

I use Google Play and Kobo to buy my books as only they sell in my currency. This is important for me as USD is very costly here. But I could also use Amazon if they are below $4.

Thanks.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
The Penguin Classics line is sold through Kobo and generally quite good. They were the editions that one of my literature classes used. You do have to check the table of contents to make sure that the one you get actually does come with an introduction and notes because Penguin also sells non-annotated e-book versions. They are somewhat pricey, though, especially for the less well-known works, and rarely go on sale.

The ones with the picture covers with the white banner and a black background for title/author info such as this one, The Pillow Book of Sei Shōnagon, are the kind to get. But some newer ones are showing up as the "Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition" with covers that don't have the banner, such as Kristin Lavransdatter.

Linkage for Kobo for the Penguin Classics imprint, the Penguin Classics Deluxe series. The cheap ones in the Penguin Little Black Classics line seem to just be single stories/essays excerpted from longer works, and don't appear to have the notes.

NB: not all of the Penguin Classics are filed under the dedicated imprint or listed as part of the series search at Kobo.

If you were able to easily buy and strip books from B&N, I'd have recommended the Barnes & Noble Classics series, which are really very well done, and affordably priced at $3.99 USD each (they used to be $1.99 USD years ago, but then they jacked up the price).

They gave away quite a lot of them years ago in a promo, and they usually contain an introductory essay for the work, an introductory essay for the author, a timeline for the author and other important events related to the work during their life, sometimes another essay or two for some aspect of the work and author, and then a lot of both endnotes explaining cultural backgrounder stuff and footnotes explaining things that happened within the book and then, depending on the book, sections about reception of the book at the time or its lingering influence (quotes from old reviews, generally, but sometimes an additional essay), study group-type questions, and sometimes recommended further reading (biographies of the author, studies of the book, websites, etc.).

They used to give away 3 free when you signed up for a B&N account (Dracula, one of the Jane Austen novels, and Alice in Wonderland, I believe it was), but I don't know if they do that any more, and it would probably be far too much of a hassle for you to obtain them anyway. But they really are very well done.

Last edited by ATDrake; 07-21-2016 at 10:12 AM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Oxford World's Classics is another good publisher with many works available as ebooks.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I know Delphi Classics are popular with a lot of folks, but I think that's more for their collected works format I don't know about notes and intros and such. I know at least some of their books (all?) are available on Kobo.

https://www.delphiclassics.com/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
If you can live without the introductions then Gutenberg has a lot, seriously many classics free.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
If you can live without introductions, then just try our ebooks here at Mobileread - they're all FREE.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
The Delphi Classics are well-formatted and very good value. They have free books on their site too.

I must admit I do like some of the Penguin Classic translations (Euripides, Gilgamesh). Not sure about the formatting as I read them in paper.

I think the translation is the the main issue in choosing between public domain and commercial.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:05 AM   #8
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
The Delphi Classics are well-formatted and very good value. They have free books on their site too.
The free downloads do have introductions.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:19 AM   #9
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
One thing about Penguin Classics: there are some titles that have the introductions, notes, etc. under the regular imprint but lack them (or have different ones) in the Deluxe Editions. I don't remember offhand which titles are involved, but it's important to sample before buying.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
100 Essential Penguin Classics
http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/th...RHA2626E8B3A94
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:20 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Harvard Classics & Fiction Collection [without notes]:

https://www.amazon.com/Harvard-Class...lassics+kindle

This is an INCREDIBLE bargain for $2.51. I own it and enjoy dipping into it.

Or this one, WITH NOTES:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QSEHIPC...=380549#navbar

This is a whopping $50, but IF YOU NEED NOTES, then it may be worth it to you. Note that this does not include the Fiction Collection.

I do not own the $50 set, so I am only reporting from my own research at Amazon and from the publisher.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:45 PM   #12
Kasper Hviid
Zealot
Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Dunno of you consider old pulp to be "classics", but if you do:
http://www.radioarchives.com/eBooks_s/128.htm
Kasper Hviid is offline   Reply With Quote