Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Can an iPad be tethered to a mobile phone?

Hi,

My nokia e71 can let my notebook tether to it via bluetooth and surf the net via the 3G. Can an iPad be tethered to a non-Apple mobile phone? I know it can't be tethered to an iPhone.

Thanks
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONoHR...=youtube_gdata
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Hi,

My nokia e71 can let my notebook tether to it via bluetooth and surf the net via the 3G. Can an iPad be tethered to a non-Apple mobile phone? I know it can't be tethered to an iPhone.

Thanks
I know of two ways to share data currently:

1. For those that have an iPhone, they can jailbreak it and buy a $9.99 program called MyWi that turns the Iphone into a mobile wifi hotspot.

2. For those who have any other phone that can do bluetooth tethering there's a $5 app that you can buy for a jailbroken iPad called iBluever that will let the iPad tether through bluetooth.

There is nothing yet that allows using the iPad USB adapter (aka Camera adapter) to tether the old-fashioned way through USB but give it time... someone already figured out a way to hack that USB adapter to access external hard drives.

And all this is in just the first month.

The desire to share data plans with the iPad instead of getting yet another overpriced data plan for its exclusive use, will be pretty well universal and the cell-phone carriers are about to take a huge PR hit on this issue especially when influencial columnists and bloggers star using the iPad... stay tuned for the fireworks
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
I know of two ways to share data currently:

1. For those that have an iPhone, they can jailbreak it and buy a $9.99 program called MyWi that turns the Iphone into a mobile wifi hotspot.
Actually many other phones including WinMo and Android can be a mobile wifi router.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
there wasn't any hacking involved to get the usb adapter to see/mount an external hard drive. that is already built into the OS.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
there wasn't any hacking involved to get the usb adapter to see/mount an external hard drive. that is already built into the OS.
It looked like a hack to me:

http://time-more.com/ipad
Old 05-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

ok for what he was doing, but as I reported last week in my review of the camera kit, the OS sees and mounts your partitions just fine. it is just there are no API calls for developers to get access to the mounted volume yet. I believe that is coming in 4.0 from what I read
Old 05-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
Fotoman
Groupie

Quote:
ok for what he was doing, but as I reported last week in my review of the camera kit, the OS sees and mounts your partitions just fine. it is just there are no API calls for developers to get access to the mounted volume yet. I believe that is coming in 4.0 from what I read
Ah... that's very cool and like I said, this is still early days... tethering is/will be very high priority on people's iPad wish list.

It's the only reason I finally jailbroke my iPhone after all this time and a lot of people are citing this app and multitasking as the top 2 reasons for JB'ing... once 4.0 brings multitasking MyWi will be the #1 reason by itself.

The irony was that here in Canada USB and bluetooth tethering of iPhones is allowed by both of our largest carriers (Rogers and Telus) and I have been doing this with my old lap-top for more than a year. The inability to carry on doing it with my iPad just seemed artificial and contrived.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books

yep. in the us tethering is still held back by at&t which doesn't have the network capacity to handle it.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Hmmm.

There is My Tether for Palm Pre owners. It works well, no BlueTooth required.
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #11
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
yep. in the us tethering is still held back by at&t which doesn't have the network capacity to handle it.
yep. in the us tethering is still held back by at&t which doesn't have the network capacity to handle it wants you to pay for additional service for additional devices.

Fixed that for you.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
scottjl
Reader of Books

there was an article out that recently that compared ipad surfing data transfer vs. the iphone. because the ipad has a larger screen it can support larger graphics downloaded. i think they said it was something like 5x the data downloaded on the ipad vs surfing on the iphone. you really think at&t can handle that load? they drop my calls often enough as is. and at&t fails every network capacity test that the trade rags come up with every few months.

yes. i know at&t certainly wants more money out of me (then again which cell carrier doesn't?) but i do not for one minute believe they have the capacity to handle all the extra devices on their network either.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #13
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
@scottjl I think it depends on the location. I've never had a call dropped, but I've heard those in NYC can't even buy an iPhone.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #14
scottjl
Reader of Books

yeah a few months ago at&t placed some restrictions on new activations in the nyc area. but they have beefed up their network since then. i've traveled coast to coast and i can say at&t does not have equal coverage in every corner of the us and i have had plenty of calls dropped, not gone through, and other issues. i wish i could say i was a happy at&t customer but that would be a lie.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:51 AM   #15
scottjl
Reader of Books

here is the article I had mentioned, my 5x was a little off. the average is about 2.5x

http://bytemobile.com/news-events/20...ve_260410.html