Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Jim-Beam
Jim-Beam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Smart Q7 Tablet

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/05/sm...d-availability

7" screen, runs Linux, and costs less than $200!
The website above is doing an unboxing and initial impression...

I have a Kindle 2 and am now considering getting this device for reading Pdf's. I know the screen will be harder on my eyes, but it's less than half the price of the DX, especially when I already own a K2 I don't really wanna spend that much on another ebook reader. I thought I'd mention this in case someone in a similar situation may be interested in this device.
Jim-Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:07 AM   #2
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I was actually on the live unboxing event watching and talking with Chippy.

The device uses linux, and can be modified to use a version of Mer (for you 770/800/810 folks).

The ebook reading application is FBReader and you can rotate the screen and go full-screen with it.

I'm going to buy one tomorrow I think. I've been looking at so many devices lately but I think its perfect for me (after the UMPC Portal demonstration today I was sold). I might wait until they do an official first impressions post before I take the plunge. I know I've been talking about getting this or that device for a long time - but this is it! Finally, a great LCD ebook reader for us backlit loving folks!
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
Jim-Beam

That's exciting, pls share what you think about the Q7 if you do get it. I'll be in Hong Kong in July and will try to see if I can find one there.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Will do. I ordered the device about 10 minutes ago. I'll do a full review and post screenshots after I get it. I'm excited to share this with our community here - there are many people like us who have been looking for a device like this in this form factor.

One of the best things about this device is the battery! Yesterday during the live demonstrations Chippy said that the device was charged about 75% when he started. He used it around 9-10 hours, off and on wireless usage, before the battery got low. I'm just going to guess and say that I'll need to charge it like twice a week or so. I saw a post on a forum that stated this device can play music for 24 hours straight with the screen off. That's not bad at all.

For me, web browsing, email and other features, although slow compared to some of the fancy MIDs out there these days, are just bonus features. Using it as an ebook reader that can read PDFs and other formats with a decent battery life and backlight are what I really want it for.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc7OCbuwj8s
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Jim-Beam

Wow, it looks really usable in the video. I guess unless it turns out to be incredibly unreliable I'll buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #7
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Wow, that video got me interested on this thing, as did its low price. I'll definitely keep an eye on this little device.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
Chippy
Enthusiast
Chippy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Various UMPCs
Hi all. I can definately recommend the Q7 as an internet enabled reader. Battery life and stability have been good so far. Even the browser seems good (i'm using it righ now!)

Some more pics here...
http://www.umpcportal.com/gallery/v/SmartQ7/

I will have some first impressions up soon but feel free to ask questions here.

Last edited by Chippy; 05-22-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
Chippy, what is your impression about reading outdoor?
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I see it has FBReader (photos labeled (5), (4), (3)), presumably pre-installed?

What software does it use for PDFs?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Wow, that looks awesome. Special request, can you please test it for reading comics/manga (cbr/rar or cbz/zip format)? Thanks!
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
Chippy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
Chippy, what is your impression about reading outdoor?
I wouldnt recommend this for outdoor use. Although I was able to use the device in a shaded area at max brightness, it wasnt comfortable. A backlight hack might be possible but then there's the glossy screen to contend with.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
Chippy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Wow, that looks awesome. Special request, can you please test it for reading comics/manga (cbr/rar or cbz/zip format)? Thanks!
I have no idea how I would do this. Sorry! If you can send me a file that works in FBreader or the PDF reader, I can test it.

Steve
Old 05-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
I have no idea how I would do this. Sorry! If you can send me a file that works in FBreader or the PDF reader, I can test it.

Steve
I'll PM you some download links when I get home. In the meantime, does it have a built in photo viewer application? cbr and cbz are basically rar and zip archives containing sequentially named image files (usually jpg, png or gif). Hmm, this is running a Linux distro, right? Can you perhaps install Comical or Comix on the device?

Thanks!
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
Chippy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I see it has FBReader (photos labeled (5), (4), (3)), presumably pre-installed?

What software does it use for PDFs?
Fbreader is pre-installed although it's V8 which I hear I quite old.
Updating might be possible from the Ubuntu ARM repositories but I havent got that far yet!

As for PDFs, it uses Evince 2.2 which can handle postscript and other formats too.

Also tested today:
Bluetooth dial-up-networking to connect to internet via a mobile phone.
Instant-on works well. I havent turned the device off for nearly three days. It will probably last 3 days on instant-on standby if not used.

As for 'reading' battery life, Its hard to tell with the 4-stage battery indicator but it should be in the 8-12 hours region with 50% backlight and no wifi connectivity.