Notices

Old 07-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #1
Pagali
Enthusiast
Pagali is on a distinguished road

Device: PC, Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 4
Crashes with Copy from Viewer

On a Windows 8.1 computer, Calibre version 2.33.0

Sometimes when I try to copy a few words or a sentence from the Calibre viewer, for an online book discussion group, I get the following crash:

calibre-parallel.exe has stopped working

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: calibre-parallel.exe
Application Version: 2.33.0.0
Application Timestamp: 55a936bf
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.3.9600.17736
Fault Module Timestamp: 550f42c2
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0004212f
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 5861
Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
Additional Information 3: a10f
Additional Information 4: a10ff7d2bb2516fdc753f9c34fc3b069

This started perhaps 4 or 5 versions ago. I've noticed also that the standard Ctrl-C for copy doesn't copy anything (but doesn't cause a crash). It's necessary to use the right-click context menu and choose Copy, but then the crash occurs.

I finally started using CoolReader instead in order to be able to copy. But I really prefer the Calibre viewer, and would like to use it, if it would work.

Thanks for any insight into this problem!
Pagali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Pagali- it could be interference from 3rd party program.

First have a look at the following to see if anything rings any alarms ==>> calibre freezes/crashes occasionally?

Assuming nothing rdoes, try running the viewer directly in Safe Mode - if that works you'll have to figure out the culprit via a process of elimination. Keyboard and clipboard enhancers/gadgets are the sort of things that might create problems.

Failing that try doing a System File Check

Running sfc /scannow has been known to fix APPCRASH errors.

Ctrl+C in the Viewer works for me on Windows 7 and Windows 10 - can't imagine why it shouldn't work for you on 8.1.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
Pagali
Enthusiast
Pagali is on a distinguished road

Device: PC, Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 4
Thank you BR! I think it was the SetPoint program that was causing the problem. At least it works now!

I actually had been to the manual and searched as many ways as I could think of -- but somehow I hadn't found that page you linked. I do try to be a responsible user.

Thanks again!
Pagali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:30 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagali View Post
Thank you BR! I think it was the SetPoint program that was causing the problem. At least it works now!

I actually had been to the manual and searched as many ways as I could think of -- but somehow I hadn't found that page you linked. I do try to be a responsible user.

Thanks again!
No worries - I forgot to mention Mouse enhancers/gadgets

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote