Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
BAD18
Enthusiast
BAD18 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color & Touch; Samsung Galaxy Tab
How to use Dropbox with Calibre

I use a PC desktop at home and laptop when I travel. Sometimes I'm gone for a couple of months. So I'm thinking of keeping my Calibre Library in Dropbox rather than the default location.

Right now I have about 200 eBooks in the library. Not sure how much space that is. I do use the free Dropbox.

Is there a way to tell Calibre to change the default library location?

Thanks.

Barbara

Color Nook/Classic Nook
BAD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD18 View Post
Right now I have about 200 eBooks in the library. Not sure how much space that is. I do use the free Dropbox.

Is there a way to tell Calibre to change the default library location?
If you click on the library icon you can choose to move or copy your existing library to a new location. I use calibre portable and run it from my dropbox and place my library its Calibre library folder. This way all plugins and settings changes you make are also in the dropbox.

If you use dropbox make sure your dropbox is in sync prior to shutting down your computer. Make sure you are only running calibre from one machine at a time. Make sure when you log on to one of your computers that you allow dropbox to sync (green check mark) to the cloud prior to starting calibre. If you don't allow the dropbox to sync you may end up loosing data.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Also, make sure your new file location path contains a total of less than...I think it's 65 characters. I had to rename my library when I wanted to put it in my DropBox folder because it made the filepath too long.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
dima_vy
dima_vy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I just moved Calibre library to the dropbox also on pc and leptop, but when i changed (added) a book on the desktop, it wasn't added on the leptop. I waited until the sync was finished, and i didn't run 2 apps at the same time...
Any ideas will be appreciated
dima_vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:28 AM   #5
dima_vy
dima_vy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Anybody?...
dima_vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_vy View Post
Anybody?...
I suspect that no-one has any idea. Lots of people use this approach without issues. As long as you obey the rules where you never have multiple copies of Calibre running at the same time, and allow any syncs to complete then it should 'just work'
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote