Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
iKarampa
Nameless Being

Exclamation Hide email password

Currently when you set up a mail account, your password is displayed on plain text, once you hit the "Test email" button. Is it possible to hide it?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
test email is explicitly for debugging, that is why the password is shown. Note that hiding the password in that dialog doesn't make your password secure in any fashion. The user can just click show password in the config dialog
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
iKarampa
Nameless Being

Actually once you put the password, anyone can go on the email preferences press the "show" checkbox and see it. This is very useful in the debugging version of the application but potentially disastrous for a user whose laptop is shared or stolen...
Old 12-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The problem, of course, is that the password must be sent in plain text to the mail service. That means that it must be convertible to plain text by calibre. That means that if the password is stored encrypted, the decryption algorithm will be plainly visible in the code. That means that no matter what is done, the password is not secure. So why bother?

The same argument is used against DRM. Why do it, because it can be cracked? The publishers are hoping that the buyers are ignorant.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
iKarampa
Nameless Being

With SSL or TLS capable servers I do not think the password is send over in plain text. I guess I am just asking to make it a little bit harder for anyone using my computer to see my most important password.
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

with SSL or TLS calibre still needs to know the original password, that is then encrytped by the transport layer. The same will be true of whatever email program you use.

If you are paranoid about your password, do not store it in any programs.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKarampa View Post
With SSL or TLS capable servers I do not think the password is send over in plain text. I guess I am just asking to make it a little bit harder for anyone using my computer to see my most important password.
Why don't you register a new account on gmail or hotmail just for using with calibre. Or do you need the emails to come from a specific account.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:32 AM   #8
iKarampa
Nameless Being

You bet I am paranoid about that specific password!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Why don't you register a new account on gmail or hotmail just for using with calibre. Or do you need the emails to come from a specific account.
I think this is the most sensible solution. Otherwise the developer would have to hash the password for local storage, which can be tricky on an open source application.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@iKarampa: FYI, hashing, whether in closed source or open source applications is *not* secure.