Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
shootist
Zealot
shootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: nook, prs-650, prs-350, galaxy tab 2
highlighting and note taking on nook?

I am about to pull the trigger on a nook. Highlighting and note taking is important to me. How good is this on the nook? Can I search my notes?
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
In my opinion, not very good. It is very tedious to do. I've resorted to using paper and ink instead to make notes. I think for heavy annotating, I will eventually pick up a touchscreen e-reader.

That being said, I still love my nook. It's very fun to read on.
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicsgirl View Post
In my opinion, not very good. It is very tedious to do. I've resorted to using paper and ink instead to make notes. I think for heavy annotating, I will eventually pick up a touchscreen e-reader.

That being said, I still love my nook. It's very fun to read on.
I would have to agree. I don't think it was designed for academic-type reading so that functionality is a little cumbersome to say the least. I did try the Sony Daily Edition and the touchscreen made for poor reading. Terrible contrast made me return it to the store.

My wife is a professor and I am thinking of getting her one of the larger screen readers with a touch screen because she constantly writes in her books, especially the ones she teaches. I'll begin researching next month since her birthday is in October.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
I don't find the note taking and highlighting to be cumbersome - but I only use the function in probably 1 out of every 10 books I read. If I used it more frequently, I could definitely get annoyed. My biggest gripe is I can't export my highlights and notes. I'm not sure if any eReader can do this (it wasn't a feature i considered when buying an eReader), but it would be nice to be able to export the text I highlight and my notes into a text file or something for future and easy reference...
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
malligator
Enthusiast
malligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
I'm a big Nook fan so don't take this as an insult on the Nook, but that is probably the thing that throws my preference over to the Kindle. The dictionary, highlighting, and annotation is brilliant on the Kindle.
malligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
malligator
Enthusiast
malligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwerm View Post
I don't find the note taking and highlighting to be cumbersome - but I only use the function in probably 1 out of every 10 books I read. If I used it more frequently, I could definitely get annoyed. My biggest gripe is I can't export my highlights and notes. I'm not sure if any eReader can do this (it wasn't a feature i considered when buying an eReader), but it would be nice to be able to export the text I highlight and my notes into a text file or something for future and easy reference...
Again, sorry. I didn't come here to be a Kindle salesman, but since you brought it up...the Kindle does that automatically in a file called "My Clippings".
malligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
jeankap
EReading Gadget Maven
jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: All of 'em.
My Nook is great for pleasure reading. Technical and layout intensive stuff on which I wish to take notes and highlight? Not so much.

I highlight EVERYTHING in my tech books. You cannot do this easily on a Nook. In fact, reading tech books and PDF files for work were my two use cases of rationale toward buying an iPad.

I'd much prefer something the weight and size of my Nook. The iPad is like a lead weight by comparison... But it works out really well for my professional needs.

The Nook, as far as I'm concerned, was definitely built for pleasure reading.
jeankap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
ppatt
ppatt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
It bad enough having notes that you must find to make use of but even if there was a notes and highlights "index" you can't have a highlight that traverses a screen boundary. What were they thinking? I find their support rather snooty when they try attempts to do damage control rather than show a willingness to value customer feedback and assure their customers that it is being placed under consideration for future updates to the nook software.

This one is a showstopper for me and I'll start looking for almost any other device that will extend my reach into my notes and highlights in an expedient and user-friendly manner. This potential for command of information only made possible with electronic media is so woefully inadequate that I've started going back to print books with dog-eared pages and scribbles in the margins. At least I can flip through them rapidly that way.
ppatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
Emmaleigh
Enthusiast
Emmaleigh began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
I have found NookStudy to be a great software program (free from B&N) to use when needing to make extensive notes.

For Mac or PC
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookstudy/index.asp
Emmaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote