Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
megosu
megosu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Already have ebooks on Kindle but trying to start using Calibre

Hi,

this question might be silly but I can't figure it out...

I already have ebooks on my kindle, I never used Calibre before.
Now, I want to start to use Calibre and do some tidying (clean up some titles and authors name...), so I tried to add my Kindle ebooks to Calibre library.

Then I can edit the metadata, but when I try to update the ebook on the kindle, I'm ending up with 2 times the same book !

You might say: let's get rid of the old one and start with the one from calibre
but then I will lose all my annotations and reading positions if I delete the old one.

What am I missing ?
megosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by megosu View Post
...What am I missing ?
By default, Calibre will rename the files using the title and author's name. This is very often different that the original filename. As a result, when you move the newly renamed files back to your device they don't overwrite the old files and thus the "duplicates".

In the future, if using Calibre to massage the files will be a regular step then you should do it before putting the files on your device.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
As dwig suggests, it's usually easiest going forward to bring books directly into Calibre, manipulate as required, and then send to the Kindle. But when you're first getting started with Calibre, you might find it best to import/copy your Kindle contents to Calibre and then delete the files off the Kindle. When you've renamed and manipulated the books as you want, you can then copy them back.

Also, just to be clear. Calibre will not, in and of itself, remove the DRM from your books, but will allow you to edit metadata, etc. in Calibre without changing the actual file that is the book. However, if you have the Apprentice Alf plugins installed, then Calibre will unlock your books when you import them.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote