Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
gil
gil began at the beginning.

Device: none
ebook for editing/correction documents: save the rain forest

hi,
I edit and correct texts sent as WORD or PDF documents.
Usually I have to print hundreds of pages, mark errors and notes with a marker or red pen, and later type them in the laptop.
I believe I will continue to type the final corrections using WORD on the laptop, but is there an e-ink device I can use to mark the draft corrections directly on screen instead of on printed paper without killing my eyes?

It would be one of the larger screen e-ink devices.

It must support PDF editing:
- Display large PDF without messing paging
- Jump to page by number
- Page markers (e.g. jump to page with corrections, last viewed page/s)
- French characters (I work in French)

- Marking text in color
- Adding text annotation:
- Preferably external keyboard to write notes/annotations
- Pen or some external pointing device (?)

Nice to have but not required:
- Search PDF text
- Support ebooks as well (epub etc)
- Enable editing WORD or at least open office docs ()
- Touch screen for flipping pages
- WIFI
- No need for drawings, photos etc in PDF.

Of course I will have to convert DOCs to PDFs - not a problem.
If you know of an LCD device that does not tire the eyes after a few intensive hours, let me know please.

Thanks a lot!
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd recommend the current iPad. Superb screen, and the Goodreader app is excellent for annotating PDFs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
gil

Thanks Harry.
But if chossing an LCD tablet, I would probably go for a Windows 8 tablet that supports native WORD.
Anything eInk?
Old 12-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, because you specify colour as a requirement, and the only colour eInk device that I'm aware of is the Jetbook Color, which uses the truly horrible "Triton" colour eInk screen. This really isn't a colour screen at all - it's a normal black and white eInk screen with a "colour mask" on top of it. This halves the linear resolution, and the colours are very poor.

If you could live with a black and white screen, you could look at the Onyx M92 or the Pocketbook 922 (very similar devices to each other), but I honestly think that the iPad is MUCH better for PDFs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
A tablet sounds better than an e-ink reader for your needs.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
gil

I looked at iPad3 but I was disappointed

The screen is sharp and good, but it is still a radiating screen.
Even after adjusting down the brightness level, reading closely from
an iPad will fatigue the eyes, much more than real papar parallel.

So I am back to square one:
Is there an eInk device that supports underlining words or phrases,
scribing over the text, adding annotations?

I found an image that demonstrates my intended usage:

Requirements:
- eInk
- stylus
- marker
- annotations

Nice to have:
- color
- different text formats

Thanks

Tags