Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 causing massive slowdown in loading

Despite Calibre being in the Trusted Group, when Kaspersky is running, the load time has suddenly (with vers 7.53 and 7.54) extended out to over 1 minute. This also applies to the internal.mobi reader.

If I pause all protection load times are like lightening, maybe 4 - 5 seconds.

I regressed the database in KIS, no change.

Anyone have a suggestion of what I could do? - have 279 days left with KIS, so don't want to bin that.

I am running Vista with all updates etc. I have 3 databases, and it doesn't make any difference which one is loaded at startup.

Last edited by oldbwl; 04-08-2011 at 03:58 PM.
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I dont know if this is possible with KIS, but try excluding the calibre install directory from KIS scanning.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
oldbwl
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I dont know if this is possible with KIS, but try excluding the calibre install directory from KIS scanning.
Couldn't do exactly that, but if you look at this image, you will find what did work.

Is there a reason why this has just started? AND would these settings expose me to any greater risk that I should be wary of?

Edit:
OK, a search on Kaspersky forum gave me the settings to remove the Calibre2 Folder from the protection. Easy to do. But a bit concerned about the risks.

I read there was a change to some Calibre files to include them in .zips to decrease the install times - could those changes be the source of this happening?

Last edited by oldbwl; 04-08-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 04-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I can't think of anything in 0.7.53 that could cause this. There was a change in 0.7.51 where calibre started keeping all its source code inside a zip file for speed. But, you say the problem only started in 0.7.53
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
oldbwl
Zealot

Thanks for trying anyhow.
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbwl View Post
OK, a search on Kaspersky forum gave me the settings to remove the Calibre2 Folder from the protection. Easy to do. But a bit concerned about the risks.
As long as you download the Calibre setup program from the official site or the alternate location linked to on the official site, you should be fine. If you download from a third party website, you should be cautious
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:05 AM   #7
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
Yeah, I installed calibre on my moms computer and she had a lame antivirus that actually deleted the calibre folder. I had to go into the options and add an exception.

It should be pretty common though with all the scripts. Maybe Kovid could get some kind of trusted certificate or something, I don't keep up on windows stuff so not sure.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:13 AM   #8
oldbwl
Zealot

The only other changes I made during the period was to add IE9 - took that off just now - no difference. I also had deleted ACD See Pro2.5. Can't see how that made any difference. I dallied with MediaMonkey 4 Beta for a day but that too is gone.

I have tried a complete reinstall of the latest version, no change.

It is clearly a KIS thing. Never happened before, so I expect it will have been a KIS update which has made it much more thorough with Calibre than before, no other programs load that slow.

Oh well, My workaround is in place and I shall continue to test every week to see if the combination resolves.

Thanks for all the replies Guys
Old 04-09-2011, 04:10 AM   #9
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
Kaspersky is paid, send them an email stating that you are going to cancel unless they fix it.

It's their job.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
oldbwl
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Kaspersky is paid, send them an email stating that you are going to cancel unless they fix it.

It's their job.
Well I will start with a support request. But Like the way you are going with this.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
solitaire
Connoisseur
solitaire began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Galaxy S5
Quote:
Hi Oldbwl

Can you pls share how to do this. I have the same issue but in KIS 2010 I cannot find a way for KIS to ignore Calibre2 folder. TIA.

Last edited by solitaire; 04-09-2011 at 08:34 PM.
solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:42 AM   #12
oldbwl
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitaire View Post
Hi Oldbwl

Can you pls share how to do this. I have the same issue but in KIS 2010 I cannot find a way for KIS to ignore Calibre2 folder. TIA.
Certainly,
from KIS Main Panel
1. Settings
2. Click Cardboard Box icon for the 'Detected Threats and Exclusions Rules'
3. Click the Exclusions 'Settings' button (the lower button of the two)
4. Under Exclusions Tab click 'Add'
5. Click Select Object and navigate to your Calibre2 folder usually C:\Program Files\Calibre2
6. Ensure that subfolders is ticked, the rest is plain sailing.

I would recommend you add a support ticket at Kaspersky too, this will help get the issue fixed so the exclusion can be deleted.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
solitaire
Connoisseur
solitaire began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Galaxy S5
Quote:

I would recommend you add a support ticket at Kaspersky too, this will help get the issue fixed so the exclusion can be deleted.
Thanks oldbwl. In KIS 2010, I do have the option to delete the exclusion. The options for each exclusion list item is "Edit, Delete" in addition to the option "Add" in the middle of the window.
solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
oldbwl
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitaire View Post
Thanks oldbwl. In KIS 2010, I do have the option to delete the exclusion. The options for each exclusion list item is "Edit, Delete" in addition to the option "Add" in the middle of the window.
Yep, that is why I said click 'Add'