Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #16
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
No, the Richard Prather books that Dr. Drib wrote about.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #17
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Thanks!
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Checked out and these look good. Got a few at Fictionwise with the 55% off coupon - $1.53 each.
That's a GREAT price! I wish I had been so lucky.

I bought them all in two batches a couple of years ago. I remember how much I enjoyed them when I was a teenager. The sexual innuendos were titillating and the first-person narratives were a lot of fun. One gets the feeling that Prather had a lot of fun writing them. Plus, there's that sense of wackiness....

I still enjoy them.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anyone have a count on the total number of Noon books that Avallone wrote?

Don
Old 09-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #20
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Does anyone have a count on the total number of Noon books that Avallone wrote?

Don
If this is accurate, a lot (around 50?): http://www.thrillingdetective.com/noon.html

Edit: added this after reading more of the entry at Thrilling Detective:

Just to give you an idea how whacky this series could get, the final books, High Noon at Midnight (1988), Since Noon Yesterday (1989) and The Ninth of Never (unpublished) take place with Ed (now an old man) facing an alien invasion, which may be only a figment of his tired and shell-shocked imagination. Avallone's son, David, a film maker, who adapted the books into a web serial, describes the conclusion of the series as "A mystery science fiction adventure serial about fathers and sons, the past and the future, sanity and flying saucers. And cockroach headed guys from outer space with ray guns."

Hmmm ... I think I might see if I can find the web serial.

Last edited by Indio777; 09-27-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for the information, Indio777.

That last, unpublished novel sounds wonderfully wacky and lopsided....exactly what I would like to read.

Don
Old 09-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #22
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Thanks for the information, Indio777.

That last, unpublished novel sounds wonderfully wacky and lopsided....exactly what I would like to read.

Don
Yes, actually last three sound good. I found at least some episodes of the web serial: http://www.spike.com/. Not sure if that is all of them, they seem to stop at Chapter Six.

Edit: I searched Spike for "Since Noon Yesterday" and those were the results on the first page of hits only. Spike may have episodes from the other two books, but their search engine does not seem to work very well, in terms of being able to easily find anything specific. Would have to go through multiple pages of search results.

Last edited by Indio777; 09-27-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: clarification, additional info
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #23
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks again, Indio777.

Here's a link to the website: http://www.thrillingdetective.com/trivia/avallone.html

In looking over that Thrilling Detective Website [above], I came across this hilarious description of Michael Avallone's writing habits:

Certainly, Avallone had a high opinion of his own work. After his death, the quips and stories rolled out. "He never wrote a book he didn't like." "He rewrote one book three times, and sold each version, once as a mystery, once as a romance and once as a horror story, to three different publishers." "In making a list of the ten best mysteries of all time, he included one of his own books." "Reading him may have sometimes been a dubious pleasure, and dealing with him an onerous task, but I was glad I knew him. He was his own best character."

And more:

His was known for his wacko plots, his hilariously fragmented sentences, his penchant for improvised, nonsensical plots, his love for movie and baseball trivia, his complete allegiance to a sort of virtual unreality in whatever field he chose to write in was steamrollered by his enthusiasm and his own energetic albeit somewhat skewered version of the world, not to mention his penchant for truly pain-inducing puns, as evidenced by such titles as The Cunning Linguist, Turn the Other Sheik and The Alarming Clock.

He sounds like a character from one of his own books. I'm sorry I never met him. There's nothing more fun than being in a room full of narcissistic authors, unless one likes to visit a certain website.....

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-27-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #24
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Just to give you an idea how whacky this series could get, the final books, High Noon at Midnight (1988), Since Noon Yesterday (1989) and The Ninth of Never (unpublished) take place with Ed (now an old man) facing an alien invasion, which may be only a figment of his tired and shell-shocked imagination. Avallone's son, David, a film maker, who adapted the books into a web serial, describes the conclusion of the series as "A mystery science fiction adventure serial about fathers and sons, the past and the future, sanity and flying saucers. And cockroach headed guys from outer space with ray guns."

I hope we can get more of his books. He does sound like a really interesting character.

Thanks for all the added info, Dr. Drib and Indigo.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote