Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 02:34 AM   #16
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstitious View Post
Nope I don't avoid drm'ed ebooks. Just recently learn how to crack them and I feel that taking just a bit of time to strip the drm is not a big deal since it'll protect my purchases in a long run. I don't hate drm but prefer to not have it.
Exactly what he said.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:36 AM   #17
alsaan
Enthusiast
alsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2 & Kindle 3
Any product that comes bundled with DRM is guaranteed to stop working at some indefinite point in the future, so I generally avoid purchasing this kind of content.

Still, I want to support the ebook industry, so I'll reluctantly purchase protected titles as long as it is possible to strip the DRM.
alsaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I understand the people who don't want to support DRM'ed ebooks. It's commendable. And if you're OK with excluding the works of authors who don't have DRM-free versions of their books available, then you will still have plenty to read... and your principles will remain intact. But...

My problem is that I consider myself a reader first... then a reader of ebooks... then a hater of DRM (in that order). And as a reader, I've spent forty-odd years building a list of favorite authors... authors whose works I will purchase the moment they are published. I'm not willing to put the reading of my favorite authors' works on hold while publishing houses learn the hard lesson that purposely crippling a product you're trying to sell is not a good idea.

So while I'm sure that I would still have plenty to read if I chose to purchase DRM-free ebooks exclusively... I wouldn't be reading the books that I want to read the most. Those authors of DRM-free books may possibly become my favorites -- given enough time. But, I'm not willing to re-invent the wheel at this point in my reading-life.

So I buy what I like... and strip what doesn't conform to my sense of fair-play.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrchase View Post
I've passed on many an ebook because of DRM. Is DRM a factor in your purchase these days?
No, simply because it's such a trifling task to remove the DRM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #20
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
The only DRM book(s) I avoid like the plague are Topaz books from Amazon.

All others - I'm with DiapDealer. If I want the book, and it's at the right price, for me, then I'm getting it.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #21
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Nearly every book I buy is infected with DRM since I primarily read current, popular fiction titles. I do not buy eBooks where I cannot remove the DRM (iBooks) and every book I buy is stripped and backed-up on my computer system before I ever read it.

With my new Kindle hopefully here this weekend I am oh so glad I don't have to download title by title a newly DRM'd copy of all my books. Hopefully Calibre compatibility will come along fairly quickly and I'll be able to mass select and move to device.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #22
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Nope. I am fine with buying DRMed books. I have yet to bother with cracking the DRM because I have not needed to. I know that I can if needed so I am not that worried about it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #23
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrchase View Post
I've passed on many an ebook because of DRM. Is DRM a factor in your purchase these days?
Not really. While I prefer to support authors and publishers who do not use DRM (I have bought tons of Baen books, for instance), there are too many books out there that I want to read that are DRM-laden.

I do remove DRM from all my purchases (that have it), and would not purchase any books that used DRM that I could not strip.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #24
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Always try to avoid DRM when possible.
That's not only true for eBook but for music too.
I stopped buying CD's when they started to protect them. Sometimes you couldn't played them at your PC or car because of the protection.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #25
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
As so many others have already said in reply:

Buy what I want to read.

Remove what I don't want to be there.

Read on what I want to read on.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #26
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Same-

Buy what I want to read, if it is available. I do still walk by bookstores, and that fuels my interest. If the book doesn't exist in ebook form, or is being windowed, on to the next. So many books, so little time.

Remove the DRM.

Read on my Kindle, but know I can read on whatever device I choose.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the DRM is such that I can remove it, I won't pass. But if I cannot strip off the DRM, I will pass. Topaz I pas son because even though the DRM can be stripped, it's a pain and not worth it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #28
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the DRM is such that I can remove it, I won't pass. But if I cannot strip off the DRM, I will pass. Topaz I pas son because even though the DRM can be stripped, it's a pain and not worth it.
Ditto re Topaz. Too much trouble. Too much clicking.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #29
gandor62
Connoisseur
gandor62 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Ipad, Kindle 2
I got caught out very badly with Mobiread ebooks. I used to read on a Palmpilot then an HP Ipaq, I then purchased an Apple Touch ipod, now I use an Apple Ipad, I have also ordered a Kindle for the Wife and have purchased a couple of Kobos for My adult children. So all the ebooks I bought up to 10 or more years ago are not readable to me or other family members in their current DRM mobi and LIT formats. Over two hundred books now useless. I still obtain ebooks, but only non DRM formats. I have to admit that if I came across a copy of one of the books that I already own that did not have the DRM on it I would take it, legally or not.
Its a sad situation, I don't have a social life due to being a shift worker and can purchase up to 100 books a year, I no longer want them in Print and some good authors are missing out on on income from me.
I would accept DRM if the license would guarantee that I own the Ebooks and if I change or use multiple devices I could re download in the format I require, Forever. If not, well, enough said.

Last edited by gandor62; 08-24-2010 at 03:18 PM.
gandor62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #30
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
DRM books

It's funny, when I first started with e-books, I really didn't think much about DRM, however, since I have learned so much from this board and other places, DRM is a pain in the ass!

I am especially finding this out as I impatiently await my new Kindle and try to figure out how to get all the books from my old Kindle to my new Kindle. I have been able to work some "magic" on most of my library, however, I have about 25 topaz books that I have re-sent to my new Kindle, and 135 azw books I have been unable to work "magic" on.

I refuse to EVER download another topaz book, I don't care how much I want to read it. DRM is the devil!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote