Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #1
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur
Frogsmasha began at the beginning.

Which book will you read first?

I just wanted to see what exactly everyone plans on reading when they first get the Reader. (bundled books on the Reader doesn't count)

Which book/genre are you starting off with?

Thanks
Frogsmasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I was thinking I might read the follow-up to the Star Trek Vanguard Book One (that is one of the included books). And I thought it was a great marketing tool by the publisher to arrange for the first book in a series to be included. But to my shock and amazement, when I looked for book two, it seems that it's not only unavailable at the Sony store, but not even in paper form!

Am considering a manga (would be my first)... Psy-Comm looks interesting
http://ebooks.connect.com/product/40...000047172.html

Also think this one might be interesting as there are times that I'm both a sports fan and an idiot!
http://ebooks.connect.com/product/40...000035987.html

But most likely I'll read this one, which is the next in an awesome Mitch Rapp series!
http://ebooks.connect.com/product/40...000035987.html
There's a list of the books in the Mitch Rapp series here...
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/f/vince-flynn/
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur
Frogsmasha began at the beginning.

I'm a bit stuck one of these two books:

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (Science Fiction)
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...51327652&itm=3

or

Artemis Fowl Series by Eoin Colfer (Fantasy)
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SID=322013&z=y

I think I may start with the first book, but who knows I dont have it yet, but it should be here hopefully today.
Frogsmasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
As for genre, that's easy: SciFi!

Probably a Baen book, it depends somewhat on what I'm in the mood to read when I get ready to start the first one.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I started reading the Trek book too, always wanted to get that one actually. After that I'm going to start on the Starfleet Corps of Engineering e-books, that should be fun.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Terry Pratchett's Wintersmith from the Discworld series. Some say it's fantasy, but I like to think of it as humorous unfuturistic sci-fi with lots of social commentary. Kind of thing.

I am not sure if I will buy it from the Connect store (with my $50 voucher) or just get it elsewhere. Either way, I will buy the paperback. It would be blasphemy for me not to.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Am considering a manga (would be my first)... Psy-Comm looks interesting
http://ebooks.connect.com/product/40...000047172.html
Just a note: all the manga in the store so far is so-called "Amerimanga" or OEL (Original English Language) manga, i.e. manga-style comics by English authors. Some consider it inferior to Japanese manga... your mileage may vary
I wish they included some Japanese manga... it's sort of weird how they were showing off Trigun at CES but there's not sign of it now. I guess the deal with Viz didn't work out.
Well, I for one expecting Scrapped Princess as the part of the announced Pop Fiction lineup. Kino no Tabi should be good too...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:23 PM   #8
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
I'm saving "Eldest" by Christopher Paolini. And "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. Both are epic long tomes, so that should be a decent break-in
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:30 PM   #9
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I just started a pratchett p-book which I also have in e-book form so hopefully I'll be able to make a seamless transition when my reader arrives.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #10
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsmasha
I'm a bit stuck one of these two books:

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (Science Fiction)
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...51327652&itm=3

Focault's Pendulum is an excellent book, but I don't know if it qualifies as science fiction - I would put it in the general "fiction" camp.

But again, a fantastic book! I wholeheartedly recommend it, especially if you're into Grand Conspiracy Theories.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #11
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Frogsmasha, what format is Foucault's Pendulum in?

Has anyone noticed what a pain it is that Connect limits the browsing to 500 books per genre? For that matter, what a pain the browsing is?

I might start with Idoru by William Gibson, Jonathan Lethem's Men & Cartoons, or maybe Imajica by Clive Barker. I have 3 pages of books written down to choose from on the Connect site (wish they had a wishlist feature).

Being new to ebooks, I'm making a rule for myself, which I'm sure won't take long to shatter:
Only buy books that I don't have in paper, that I only have in hardback or overly-heavy paperback (like Year's Best SF), or that lend themselves particularly to reading on the go, such as short stories or fluffy contemporary supernatural fantasy-horror-erotic-mystery-type books.

Last edited by Michele; 10-02-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #12
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
moving the question...

Last edited by Michele; 10-02-2006 at 05:58 PM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #13
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
"Cell" by Stephen King would be my first.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:47 PM   #14
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I thoroughly enjoyed Stephen King's "Cell". I was glad that this title was in his older style of writing. I did not care for any of his Gunslinger books apart from The Drawing of the Three.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:27 PM   #15
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
At current count, I have a list of 52 books from the BAEN site that I plan to read - hmm, that is one a week for a year! Better, yet, no DRM! First book, now 1/3 done, is John Ringo's "Ghost". Not fine literature, but well written entertainment.

Last edited by CCDMan; 10-04-2006 at 04:15 PM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote