Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Smile is not wanting 3g a case of not knowing what you're missing?

i swear i look up many authors on wiki, the internet, i look up authors in the kindle store, and i never have to really interrupt my reading. breaking out a laptop is tedious, and mind, i did about 2 hours worth of browsing through information on saul bellow, william kennedy, etc, at a house with no wifi or anything, yesterday.

i do take issue with wikipedia. the articles aren't necessarily spectacular, but when you're looking for WHO to read, it's very useful.

so these guys who claim to not need 3g, do they just not know what they're missing? i think so. the convenience!
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Rubbish... I read for relaxation and entertainment on my ereader wherever I am... I am NEVER so desperate for all the rest that I can't wait... typical case of modern short attention span... If I can't have it now then I'll cry or forget it... For look ups, well "breaking out a laptop" is your way of doing things... personally I have a computer permanently on with broadband access doing my work in the fore or background and I have a smartphone if I ever do get that desperate but my ereading is a way to escape all the "permanently connected" stuff so I can read in peace and quiet... just like many others here...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I have plenty of books to carry around with me. I don't need that on my Sonys or my Kindle. Just need the books. Turn them on, there they are! I'm also partial to longer battery life. That's why I keep the wifi on my Kindle turned off.

When out, I've got an iPhone for quick look-ups. Mostly use it for GPS, though, 'cause I get lost easily. At home, I have my desktop.

I just don't find 3g at all needful.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
typical case of modern short attention span...
this is interesting. i think you're right on. however, a device that caters to this modern phenomena is more better than one that doesn't, imo.

i wouldn't want to boot up a smart phone to web surf. disruptive or interrupting.

having a device that does it all instead of a dedicated brick, is a lot more useful.

Last edited by Ditchleyportrait; 08-03-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I neither need nor want 3G on my reader. I see how it can be a necessity for people who are constantly on the go but, fortunately, I am not one of those people.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchleyportrait View Post
this is interesting. i think you're right on. however, a device that caters to this modern phenomena is more better than one that doesn't, imo.

i wouldn't want to boot up a smart phone to web surf. disruptive or interrupting.

having a device that does it all instead of a dedicated brick, is a lot more useful.
Yup, that's why my reader (or rather the one I ALWAYS use) is a tablet, with 3G. I'd rather have 4G, but I'm not yet willing to pay for it, both in terms of price and size of the beastie.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Eh. If I need to connect my ereader to the 'Net for some reason when I'm away from home, I'll drop in to one of the many, many, many wi-fi hotspots in the region (all the free-standing McD's have 'em, as does the local rec centre/library, and there were 4 different public hotspots in range of the nearest mall's food court, last time I was there). And if I'm traveling, most hotels seem to have access as well these days.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Cannot live without the 3G on my kindle. I am frequently in areas for weeks at a time when it is my only connection. Need a book get a book.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I love technology and spend a great deal of time online. But I don't need to look up other authors or hit Wikipedia when I'm reading a book. I like to focus and enjoy the words, not bounce back and forth between the book and other activities.

This isn't to say that I never run across people, events, and words that I want to look into further when I read. I do, all the time! But if my curiosity is truly piqued, I have no problem remembering to look them up online later, when I'm at the computer. It just isn't that hard for me to wait.
Skibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Some of us refuse to buy books with DRM. Until the shops that we are tied to with 3G predominately sell DRM-free books, that service is pretty much useless to us. So in our case, it isn't just a matter of not knowing what we're missing.

Edit: I wanted to add that I know that the 3G access is funded by book purchases, so I would feel a bit guilty about using it for web-surfing while not buying any books.

Last edited by rkomar; 08-03-2011 at 02:18 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I have so many books in my pending-to-read collection that I never need to buy RIGHT NOW.

As for info lookup, I either use my phone or wait. Only thing I'd need 3G for is international use (mostly for non-reading tasks -- email, etc).

I've wanted to send a document to my Kindle once or twice at work, but it cannot connect to corporate networks, nor ad-hoc (for wifi tethering to my phone's 3G connection), so if they'd just allow one of those that'd make up for my one reason to want 3G.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchleyportrait View Post
so these guys who claim to not need 3g, do they just not know what they're missing? i think so. the convenience!
When I read a book, I read a book. I don't take notes, I don't highlight, I don't bookmark, I don't use dictionaries, I don't use encyclopedias... I read.

If I need more info, I wait until I'm done reading. Then I look it up on my desktop the next time I sit in front of it.
  • do I need instantaneous information? -- no
  • do I need instantaneous downloads of ebooks? -- no
  • do I use the web browser on my Kindle? -- no
  • do I need 3G? -- no

Am I a satisfied and happy reader? -- yep
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Not a case of short attention span, more like: "Join us. You will be assimilated."

Eventually we'll all be part of a large streaming conscience communicating through "telepathy". I already feel disorientated without my smartphone, it's like a much needed symbiosis.

BTW, all poetry in my blog were written in it and published on the fly (3G), either from the bus, from the streets or wherever. More than once I started writing right away just as inspiration passes me by in warm colors and sweet smells...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #14
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
Not a case of short attention span, more like: "Join us. You will be assimilated."

Eventually we'll all be part of a large streaming conscience communicating through "telepathy". I already feel disorientated without my smartphone, it's like a much needed symbiosis.

BTW, all poetry in my blog were written in it and published on the fly (3G), either from the bus, from the streets or wherever. More than once I started writing right away just as inspiration passes me by in warm colors and sweet smells...
But you weren't reading... if ideas come to me on the fly then I'll make a note on my smartphone but if I'm reading I don't need my book to be tethered to the world, I've got the phone for that when I'm out (and not reading) and the computer at home...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
What if eventually a computer shall mean what is just at your hand?

I (still) have a Linux desktop, but I download books directly to my smartphone, any time I want. And no, I'm not eager to wait after reading to know some things, like references to other books, to landscapes, to art, etc. Quick look up online is an amazing experience while still reading the book.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote