Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 07-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Interesting, if useless discover on Nook Color screen

So, a couple of weeks ago, I got polarized prescription sunglasses. Yesterday, I had a bite to eat at a fast food place that was mostly windows, shortly before sunset. In short, it was fairly bright inside. So I tried reading with the sunglasses on. And discovered that the screen on my 1st edition nook color was polarized also, in a way that is incompatible with the sunglasses. At least, in portrait mode. If I turned it to landscape, it was like I wasn't wearing the sunglasses at all. That, in and of itself, was interesting.

It got more interesting when, afterwards, I stopped by the local B&N across the street. When I walked by the nook display by the door, I discovered that the display model was perfectly visible in any orientation with the sunglasses on. Fascinating. There's been some changes to the LCD screen, apparently (mine was bought when the color was just introduced.)
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
HeyYou
Interested in everything!
HeyYou began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Nook Color
I've noticed the same thing with my NC, although I hadn't checked a new unit. Nice catch!
HeyYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'd suspect most ebooks, tablets, etc are polarized to try and reduce glare.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'd suspect most ebooks, tablets, etc are polarized to try and reduce glare.
It made sense, certainly, even if it would be more convenient if it were at 90 degrees, or there were a landscape mode to the reader software. But what was really odd was the lack of it on the newer model.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Polarized glass is part of how LCD screens work - all LCD panels will polarize light to one degree or another. When you rotated the display, you were aligning the polarization from the NC's LCD with the polarization of your sun glasses.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
I have had some devices that are worse than others - i always wear polarized glasses, or i get migraines in bright sunlight. my last phone, an LG Dare, showed very little polarization darkening, no matter which way it was turned.
my new phone, a Samsung Fascinate, is great in portrait - and totally unreadable in landscape. fortunately, i prefer my GPS to be in portrait mode ...
my old IBM x41t tablet was great in landscape mode, and pitch black in portrait. i think that had to do with the Wacom digitizer, and the fact that the over-screen was real glass, not polycarbonate.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheinz View Post
Polarized glass is part of how LCD screens work - all LCD panels will polarize light to one degree or another. When you rotated the display, you were aligning the polarization from the NC's LCD with the polarization of your sun glasses.
Absolutely, and not hard to figure out. But I still can't figure out how the new display unit in the store wasn't the same. It worked fine either way, with no noticable dimming as I turned it.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Absolutely, and not hard to figure out. But I still can't figure out how the new display unit in the store wasn't the same. It worked fine either way, with no noticable dimming as I turned it.
It certainly would be dependent on the light under which it was viewed.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #9
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Not with normal polarlizing. What mine does is what one would expect - as you turn it, the brightness changes quite noticably. It is literally the demonstration of poliarziation from high school physics, in fact.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Not with normal polarlizing. What mine does is what one would expect - as you turn it, the brightness changes quite noticably. It is literally thei I believe you demonstration of poliarziation from high school physics, in fact.
I believe you but it will still depend on the light source.

...any you wear your shades indoors?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:25 AM   #11
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
Quote:
not at all. even passive LCD screens, with no backlight, are subject to this.

If i run into the gas station, and forget to change from sunglasses to regular glasses, i have to cock my head sideways to read the credit card swipe terminal.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:34 AM   #12
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegetz View Post
not at all. even passive LCD screens, with no backlight, are subject to this.

If i run into the gas station, and forget to change from sunglasses to regular glasses, i have to cock my head sideways to read the credit card swipe terminal.
......deleted....not worth the time.

But I still want to know if the o.p. wears his sunglasses indoors.

Last edited by kennyc; 07-13-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
But I still want to know if the o.p. wears his sunglasses indoors.
Monkeys do

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
kennyc

Yeah, but....
Old 07-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
I believe you but it will still depend on the light source.
On a backlit screen, not so much, really. Or, rather, the light source that matters is the backlight in the screen, not the ambient light (which isn't contributing much to seeing the screen).

Quote:
...any you wear your shades indoors?
As I noted in the original post, I was in a fast food joint with lots of windows at the wrong time of day. So yeah, I was thinking of keeping them on (I'm on medication that makes me light sensitive). Though, in a rare example of good luck for me, the sun went behind the clouds as I was putting the regular glasses back on, and stayed there until I was done, so it wasn't an issue.